Warbringer are an American Thrash Metal
band that formed in 2004. They started under the name Onslaught till 2004 upon learning of another band having the same name. They were signed onto Century Media to represent the LA Thrash revival scene.
Highschoolers John Laux and Victor Mikhaltsevich met each and began to write songs after learning of each other's interest in metal music, with the latter introducing John Kevill as the vocalist of the band. The band finally had a solid line up in place and had adopted the name Warbringer after attempting to combine War- as prefix to a variety of words. They had recorded a four-song 2004 demo that was never released. It was the only recording with Victor Mikhaltsevich with the band. Due to creative differences the band had decided to seek out another guitar player. Emilio Hoschet soon joined the band and in 2005 they had self-financed the Born of the Ruins demo. In 2006 the band had also finished the One By One, the Wicked Fall demo. Self-financed again and recorded at Love Juice Labs. The original pressings were handmade, but the band eventually opted to have them printed more professionally.
They finally got to recording in 2007 for their debut, and went on a six year old tour that's still going as of today. They had opened for big bands like Suffocation
, Napalm Death
, and Exodus
. In 2009, they started with the sophomore effort done within 12 days.
During the spring of 2011 Warbringer enter The Omen Room studios with producer Steve Evetts for the third album. Afterwards, Warbringer began a tour with Diamond Plate, Lazarus A.D., and Landmine Marathon, and in 2012, opened for Iced Earth
and Symphony X
In 2013, they announced a new album due for an October release, entitled IV: Empires Collapse
. 2014, unfortunately, brought the departure of Laux and Cruz; after a European tour with Iced Earth that employed Balmore Lemus (ex-Exmortus) and Blake Anderson (Vektor) as fill-ins, Kevill very nearly ended the band but decided to soldier on and hold auditions for new members. He has mentioned that he is probably good for Laux's spot, but drummer auditions are still ongoing.
- John Kevill – vocals (2004–present)
- Jeff Potts – guitar (2012–present)
- Ben Mottsman – bass (2012–present)
- One By One, the Wicked Fall (2006) (EP)
- War Without End (2008)
- Waking into Nightmares (2009)
- Worlds Torn Asunder (2011)
- IV: Empires Collapse (2013)
Warbringer displays these tropes:
- Cover Version: "Sacrifice" by Bathory, "(We Are) The Road Crew" by Motorhead, and "Execute Them All" by Unleashed.
- Darker and Edgier: Waking into Nightmares.
- Genre Roulette: Worlds Torn Asunder played with this, while IV: Empires Collapse made this a main selling point.
- Gorn: Some of their songs have this
- I Am the Band: John Kevill, as of 2014.
- Insufferable Genius: Implied to be the reason why Ben Bennet was thrown out.
- Living Weapon: A song called such is actually this.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Standard or hard 9; rarely hits a soft 10. Basically, they're one of the most aggressive examples of straight Thrash Metal.
- New Sound Album: Every single one:
- War was mostly a continuation of the standard thrash sound of their demos, but with some newfound death metal influences.
- Waking massively bumped up the death metal influences and featured far more complex arrangements.
- Worlds was a far more eclectic album that played with elements of a bunch of different genres and generally served as their "experimental" album.
- IV majorly upped the melody and expanded upon the Genre Roulette elements introduced on Worlds, with lots of unusual and borderline progressive arrangements.
- Progressive Metal: IV: Empires Collapse bordered on this.
- Revolving Door Band: Kevill is the sole remaining founder and they go through frequent lineup changes. This tendency very nearly killed the band and has resulted in their current inactivity.
- Signature Style: Aggressive, fast paced Thrash that takes inspirations and influences from older Teutonic Thrash bands and some old-school Florida death metal, along with occasional snippets taken from other genres that they enjoy.
- Special Guest: Gary Holt (Exodus) played a guest solo on their rerecording of "The Road Warrior".
- Tank Goodness: The cover art for War Without End
- Teen Genius: The band members, especially John Laux, formed in High School
- Theme Naming: The first three albums started with a W.
- War Is Glorious/War Is Hell: Their original main lyrical theme before they branched out.