Minus Paul Baloff
Exodus are an American Thrash Metal
band forming in 1980. Considered one of the main pioneering bands outside the Big 4
, Exodus have managed a 30 year run save for some hiatuses.
After some initial lineup changes, with the original lineup featuring Tom Hunting and Kirk Hammett, the lineup was finally settled with Gary Holt joining as the main songwriter when Hammett left to join Metallica
. However, before he left, he recuited Paul Baloff in 1981, with the friendship starting due to their shared love for punk rock and heavy metal music at a house party.
They finally got to working on the debut entitled Bonded By Blood
, released in 1984. Shortly and sadly, Baloff was fired and was replaced by Steve Souza. The lineup mainly remained stagnant until Force of Habit
. Afterwards, they temporarily splited up due to issues.
When they temporarily reunited, Holt managed to get Baloff back in for a live album, entitled Another Lesson in Violence,
but were forced to split again when they encountered issues with Century Media, the label that they were signed on to when the live album was finished and released.
They got to opportunity to reunite in 2001, and Holt again got Baloff to continue with the band, unfortunetly, Baloff died of a stroke in 2002, and Souza came back finish where Baloff left off. Tempo of the Damned
, intended to be Baloff's studio return, is now dedicated in his memory, with Souza doing the vocals.
In 2005, Souza left and was replaced by Rob Dukes, who has since then remained their vocalist for the three latest albums as well as a rerecording of Bonded by Blood
Holt is currently a tour member for Slayer
, both when Jeff Hanneman was suffering from a severe bug bite, and again when Hanneman himself passed away from alcohol abuse. On February 4, 2012 a Paul Baloff Memorial Reunion Concert was held at the Oakland Metro Opera House. Former and current members included Kirk Hammett, Rick Hunolt, Gary Holt, Geoff Andrews, Lee Altus, Rob Dukes, Tom Hunting and Jack Gibson. It was the first they have all played together since 1983.
Exodus is currently working on a new album, which is due out in mid-2014. They will enter the studio in February to begin recording. As of June 2014, Dukes and the band have parted ways and Souza has been welcomed back in.
- Tom Hunting – drums (1980–1989, 1997–1998, 2001–2005, 2007–present)
- Gary Holt – guitar (1980–1993, 1997–1998, 2001–present)
- Jack Gibson – bass (1997–1998, 2001–present)
- Lee Altus – guitar (2005–present)
- Steve "Zetro" Souza - vocals (1986-1993, 2002-2004, 2014-present)
Notable Past Members:
- Paul Baloff(RIP 2002) – vocals (1982–1986, 1997–1998, 2001–2002)
- Kirk Hammett – guitar (1980–1983)
- Paul Bostaph – drums (2005–2007)
- Rob Dukes - vocals (2005-2014)
- Bonded by Blood (1985)
- Pleasures of the Flesh (1987)
- Fabulous Disaster (1989)
- Impact Is Imminent (1990)
- Force of Habit (1992)
- Tempo of the Damned (2004)
- Shovel Headed Kill Machine (2005)
- The Atrocity Exhibition... Exhibit A (2007)
- Exhibit B: The Human Condition (2010)
- Blood In, Blood Out (2014)
Tropes displayed by Exodus:
- Abusive Parents: "Like Father, Like Son"
- Author Existence Failure: Paul Baloff and Evan McCaskey
- Bald of Awesome: Rob Dukes
- Big Fun: Baloff was quite energetic live despite his size. And his hard-partying lifestyle caused some people to nickname him "the John Belushi of heavy metal."
- Concept Album: The Atrocity Exhibition
- Cool Old Guy: Jack Gibson, who also played bass in the brutal Death Metal act Vile for quite some time.
- Darker and Edgier: Some would say this for the current Dukes era.
- The Atrocity Exhition duology on a lyrical level as a whole.
- Drugs Are Bad: Rick Hunolt's abuse of drugs got him fired for this. The song "Deathamphetamine" seems to have this message.
- Epic Rocking:
- "Deliver Us to Evil" from Bonded is 7:10
- "Pleasures of the Flesh" is 7:36
- "Forward March" is 7:38
- "Like Father, Like Son" from Fabulous Disaster is 8:10
- Double subverted with "Bedlam 1-2-3", as while the track is almost 20 minutes, the actual song is actually seven minutes, followed by 10 minutes worth of silence and a banjo interlude.
- Green Aesop: "Chemi-Kill" is basically about how awful pollution is.
- Hardcore Punk: This is what Dukes grew up with, moreso than the other members.
- Harsh Vocals: Baloff used a frantic, yelping shout, while Souza used a nasally snarl heavily influenced by Bon Scott; Dukes, meanwhile, utilizes a hardcore-style bark.
- Hate Plague: "Seeds of Hate"
- Heavy Meta: "Metal Command", among others.
- Horrible History Metal: "Nanking" is about the Nanking Massacre
- I Am the Band: Gary Holt
- Jerkass: Gary Holt can definitely come across as this in some of his interviews.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: 8 or 9, depending on the song.
- One of Us: Holt enjoys period pieces as well as US politics
- Religion Rant Song: Very common, "No Love" and "Deliver Us From Evil" are just some examples
- Revolving Door Band
- Special Guest: Kirk Hammett contributed a guest solo on Blood In, Blood Out. Holt even commented that it made him feel like it was 1982 and they were trying to outshred one another all over again.
- Start My Own: Baloff started Piranha after he was fired.
- Souza also started Hatriot, along with his two sons.
- Thrash Metal: One of the Trope Codifiers of the genre.
- Wife-Basher Basher: "Sealed With A Fist"