Ready to fight to get what we need
Die on your feet or live on your knees
is a place for violent people, and usually with violent practices
, so in fiction, riots are natural. If The Hero
is placed amongst the populace, expect him/her to be the one to instigate it. Convicts and guards are usually Color-Coded for Your Convenience
. Expect mattresses and toiletpaper (fire optional) to be thrown around in a modern setting.
Riots are usually a cover-up for a Great Escape
. Related to The Mutiny
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- A huge one is organized by Emporio Ivankov in the Impel Down arc of One Piece, with prisoners from all levels joining him and Luffy to storm the guards of the place in a desperate attempt to escape.
- A crossover arc of Thunderbolts and Avengers Academy focused on a super powered prison riot in The Raft.
- Watchmen: Nite Owl and Silk Spectre break out Rorschach during a prison riot caused by Rorschach killing a prisoner.
- Roots, on the slaveship/Prison Ship.
- Prison riots are a constant threat in Oz. One erupts in the first season finale "A Game of Checkers".
- A prison riot is triggered as a cover for a murder in the Arrow episode "An Innocent Man".
- Shane Casey triggers a riot so he can steal Hawkes' clothes and use the badge he had someone steal in order to escape in CSI NY
- One desperate invidual must rape his way out of a prison riot in Laengthengurthe song "I Raped My Way Out of a Prison Riot".
- In Star Wars: The Old Republic, the Penal Colony of Belsalvis is suffering from a grand-scale one of these. Justified as Belsalvis is a Hell Hole Prison run by the Republic, obsensibly for "the worst of the worst" criminals, but they're even treating the descendants of the prisoners (who have done no crime at all) as maximum-security inmates! As an Imperial, you side with the prisoners (who are being experimented on with leftover Rakata tech, forced into deathmatch fights for "scientific research," and kept in hellish conditions) and the descendants who are justifiably pissed off at being punished for their ancestors' crimes. As a Republic player, you're helping the guards, against such wonderful captives as mass murderers, Imperial agents, and imprisoned Sith agents (to say nothing of the Esh-kha aliens, who even the Rakatan Infinite Empire saw fit to imprison). Don't expect a lot of good guys on either side.
- The descendants of prisoners and other dependents aren't criminals per se — but the very existence of the prison, let alone its location, composition, etc., are top-level Republic secrets. The poor unfortunates who are born there can either live their lives in virtual imprisonment, or try to leave and thereby become actual criminals. (Or they can work for the Republic, I guess.)
- Overlook Penitentiary in Silent Hill: Downpour was the site of a riot. The game suggests that it was instigated by Geroge Sewell in order to cover up the planned murder of Frank Coleridge by Murphy Pendelton.
- In Splinter Cell: Double Agent, Sam uses one as cover to escape from Ellsworth.
- Can happen in Prison Architect if you aren't careful.
- First mission in Watchmen: The End Is Nigh has Night Owl and Rorschach stopping a riot in Sing Sing by beating up everyone in it.
- Not long after the Joker is placed among its populace, Blackgate in Batman: Arkham Origins is in full riot mode. Again.
- Avatar: The Last Airbender 's "Boiling Rock Part 2" has Sokka, Suki, Zuko, and Hakoda planning a riot as part of an escape plan. Hakoda tries to initiate it by approaching a larger, tougher prisoner and pushing him, hard. All this succeeds in doing is hurting the feelings of the other prisoner. Eventually, however, another prisoner named Chit Sang is able to start a riot merely by shouting, "Hey! Riot!" The fact that he picked up a prisoner and threw him at another prisoner immediatly afterwards probably helped. And honestly, Chit Sang could probably be a pretty good riot all by himself.
- Valve, Gatlocke, Hunter Cain and No-Face in Generator Rex use a prison riot as a cover for their escape in "Enemies Mine". Rex. Six and Bobo have go into the prison to the quell the riot.