Recap / The Simpsons S 16 E 14 The Seven Beer Snitch
After Shelbyville accuses Springfield of being hicks, Marge convinces the townspeople to fund a Frank Gehry-designed concert hall, which is then converted to a prison when the concert hall goes bankrupt on opening night. Meanwhile, Bart and Lisa investigate Snowball II's recent weight gain.
- An Offer You Can't Refuse: When Homer is offered the position of prison snitch, it's clear he'll be whacked if he refuses.
- Foreshadowing: When Fat Tony recognizes Marge as the woman who occasionally drives her son to school, she figures out he must be Michael's dad. Michael will play a large role in a later episode.
- Karma Houdini: To get a job as a prison guard, Otto switches his urine sample with Homer's. Otto does get the job and is never seen suffering any consequences for it.
- Noodle Incident: While looking for silly laws to use as excuses to arrest people, Chief Wiggum finds one that makes it unlawful to be in public without hats. Mayor Quimby and Mr. Burns quickly put on their hats but Smithers doesn't have any. Wiggum comments that, if he didn't arrest Smithers at the park during that night, he won't arrest him now. The viewers are never given any clues to what happened back then (however, with Smithers being gay, it may be he was having sex in public with a man).
- Not Helping Your Case:
- To prove that Springfield is not a hick town, Marge has Frank Gehry build a concert hall...only for everyone to walk out on opening night and it to go bankrupt, resulting in Mr. Burns converting it into a prison, which only justifies Shelbyville's belief.
- Homer tries to convince Mr. Burns that his body is "a temple" while smoking a butter bar.
- Shout-Out: To Peanuts. Marge's letter to Frank Gehry has a Snoopy theme.