- Adult Fear: Homer and Marge when the kids make off with the RV.Homer: It's every parent's worst nightmare: they've stolen a car and they're home alone.
- Obviously Marge's fears about what will happen to her and the kids if Homer dies.
- Call Back: The store where Homer bought the RV in this episode is the same one where he bought one in "The Call of the Simpsons" and the insurance company (Merry Widow Insurance) is the same from "Homer's Triple Bypass".
- Cutting Corners: After Homer is denied life insurance, Marge cuts the family's budget to build up a nest egg by buying imitation brands of cereal and coffee, having Maggie pace her sucking to conserve her pacifier and forcing Homer to bring his own drinks to Moe's.
- Left the Background Music On: When Marge is going through the pictures of Homer's near-deaths through the years, "Vacation" by The Go-Go's plays. Marge then notices a nearby radio playing the song and shuts it off.
- Lifetime Movie of the Week: Parodied with the "Wifetime" film From Homemaker to Homeless (the title being a parody of the real Lifetime movie From Homeless to Harvard).
- Shout-Out: The kids find a ''Flintstones Fun Map" in the RV and Homer wrote a message reading "Dino short for dinosaur? Remember to ask Jeeves" (on international airings, "Ask Jeeves" is replaced with Wikipedia).
- Wrong for the Right Reasons: Marge is right to be concerned that the family will be in trouble if Homer dies, but the way she goes about it and how she acts like a massive Jerkass to Homer and seizes control of the money despite him earning every cent of it made it hard to side with her.