Fanfic: Prison Island Break
Prison Island Break
is a massive reimagining of the Sonic the Hedgehog
series where everyone is a convicted criminal. It is incredibly dark, with extensive violence, descriptive rape, consensual sex, and emotional trauma, and frantically turns your childhood heroes into violent and mentally diseased felons. It's not for the faint of heart or weak of stomach.
It features characters from a wide range of the Sonic continuities
having to survive in, work in, or escape from Prison Island Penitentiary,
managed by the Mad Scientist
Director Doctor Eggman, and run by the cruel Head Warden Mephiles.
Prison Island has many secrets that are darker than the hearts of the prisoners, the least of which being criminal overlord Vector having as much or perhaps more power than the Head Warden, and Scourge the Hedgehog being used to punish particularly unruly criminals.
At first written by two authors, recently one of the authors left the story because they were, as the other author so politely put it, busy with other things. That other author elected to continue the story alone. This complicated reading the story slightly, since now it is now on two different accounts. One is not being updated, the other is the continuation...
Part One - Prison Island Break
Part Two - Prison Island Break: Season Two
The story is widely praised for maintaining the core personalities of the Canon Characters while exploring what could have happened if they had used their powers for darker and more selfish purposes in another world - for example, Sonic was reimagined as something of a mascot of an extremist left-wing political party that seems perfectly happy to be funded by criminal activities.
Prison Island Break contains examples of:
- The Alcatraz: Shadow has apparently tried to escape Prison Island and failed - and apparently he's actually gotten the furthest of any convict. He's pretty angry at Sonic for insisting that he can.
: First the ankle cuff. Then the cell. Then the locked doors. Then the fences, the jungle, the MILES AND MILES OF FUCKING OCEAN! And all the fucking way, there's the Guard Robos, the cameras, the grasses, and that mother-fucking bastardated sonuvabitch
Mephiles. You think you're the first to try?
- In fact, Sonic talks so much about escaping this inescapable prison, that the other cons and guards think he's kidding.
- Anti-Villain: The protagonists are barely even designated heroes. Their goal to escape prison isn't particularly noble; all admit guilt, and most intend to commit more crimes on their escape. Their crimes include murder, rape, bank-robbery, fraud on a global scale (Tails claims to have nearly made himself the sole owner and stockholder of Sony), escaping other prisons, and what boils down to terrorism. It's the Morality Kitchen Sink. However, since the story is told mostly from their perspective, Sympathy for the Devil ensues to some degree.
- Asshole Victim: Silver was sent to prison for killing someone who will later rape and kill a bus full of children. Not everybody believes he knows the future and even the author refuses to confirm whether or not he may just have been crazy.
- Attempted Rape: Shadow attempts to rape Silver under the bleachers. Since an alliance has been formed between Knuckles, Sonic, Shadow, Silver, Nack, Tails, and Manic under the mutual goal of escaping the prison, they stop him.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Vector is at the top of a criminal empire and he's just as dangerous if not more so as his subordinates. Justified because he had to climb his way to the top, he wouldn't be in that position if he wasn't Badass.
- Black and Grey Morality:
- It can be a little disturbing to find yourself rooting for Shadow the Hedgehog; a serial rapist, leering pervert and constant hypocrite. But when the alternative is somebody like Head Warden Mephiles, it's slightly more understandable.
- Doctor Eggman, as Director of the prison, hasn't shown up much so far, but seeing as so far he has callously tortured convicts For Science!! and completely overlooks Mephiles' abuse of... just about everybody... he's on this level too.
- Break the Cutie:
- Life in prison is not kind to Silver. He finds himself breaking his ideals to survive.
- Amy is forced to perform lewd sexual acts for Mephiles.
- Break the Haughty: Silver initially believes that he can reform the entire prison population. Reality Ensues.
- Cold Sniper: Nack talked about his job as a professional assasin as if it was a day job.
- Darker and Edgier
- Defeat Means Respect: After Sonic beats Knuckles in a sanctioned prison brawl. Saying that it's a case of Defeat Means Friendship is stretching the term though.
- Department of Child Disservices: Convict Shadow Robotnik was taken away from his eccentric father-creator Gerald, but Social Services itself accidentally knocked down his sister Maria while doing so, fueling a life-long resentment towards The Man. He was then passed around a series of foster homes which had trouble coping with him due to his emotional trauma and the fact that he's the Ultimate Lifeform. He was finally passed into the care of foster parents who physically and sexually abused him, and who he eventually murdered. Different from many other abuse fanfics in that Shadow clearly avoids bringing it up and will try to change the subject if it does.
Silver: What... happened to you?
Shadow: Nobody ever came when I screamed. Nobody sympathized with me when I did what had to be done. Why should I help you, knowing there's nothing you can do for me?!
- Depower: Silver is given an injection upon arrival at Prison Island that prevents him from using his incredibly strong psychic powers. Those will come back if he stops receiving the injection but the wardens definitely don't want that to happen.
- Depraved Homosexual: Knuckles. It's stated very firmly that he's in prison because he raped multiple men.
- Drugs Are Bad: Scourge is obviously going to be evil. When trapped with Scourge and about to be raped, Shadow calls Scourge a 'Judas Shooter' (another term for a heroin addict)
Shadow: You, Scourge... Your only reason to live is me! Without me to punish, you're nothing but another goddamn Judas Shooter!
- Embarrassing First Name: Shadow the Hedgehog's full name is "Ursula Leslie Robotnik", which is why he insists that everybody call him Shadow, but Sonic occasionally embarrasses him with it. At one point he explains that it means "Oops, we expected a girl."
- Embarrassing Nickname: Knuckles is nicknamed "Fuckles" (though no one other than Shadow says that to his face) while Silver is nicknamed "Preacher". Shadow regularly calls Sonic "The Blue Blockhead" and "Streak" (as if referencing a stain). And Sonic often refers to Shadow as things like "The Wife" and "Girlfriend", because he knows it annoys Shadow no end.
- Florencenightingale Effect: It is very obvious that this has happened with Shadow the Hedgehog, who is obsessed with Amy. It's not very romantic, and in fact is even a little creepy since Shadow is a serial rapist-murderer, and voices his desire to rape her specifically right to her face. She tries to rebuff him, or ignore his advances, but it seems she's quite fond of him too.
- For the Evulz: Convicts mostly abuse each other to defend themselves, assert their authority and protect their reputation. However Head Warden Mephiles consistently and frequently does it for the sheer joy of it.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Tails escaped from the medium security prison he was previously incarcerated in by rigging a radio to mess up all the electronics and then flying over the fence. His role in Sonic's escape will also involve electronics.
- Gender-Blender Name: Shadow's full name is "Ursula Leslie Robotnik" (The initials are U. L. Robotnik...)
- Hell Hole Prison
- Hospital Hottie: Being one of the few women in the prison, Amy is considered this. She's harassed by Sonic, Shadow and presumably a few other prisoners.
- Hypocrite: Silver finds himself betraying his friends and denouncing God in order to survive in prison.
- Shadow is an even bigger hypocrite - this was actually deliberate. However he doesn't notice and nobody calls him out on it, so sometimes he can look like a bit of an idiot for it.
- Hypocrisy Nod: Silver is well aware of his hypocrisy and is disgusted with himself.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: The prison doctor Amy Rose Blossom is intended to be this. What keeps her from being a Purity Sue is her Sympathy for the Devil, a flaw which has her sympathising with the convicts whom the story actually revolves around, since she is clearly not The Protagonist, instead playing a supporting role.
- It Amused Me: Shadow pretends that he's going to rape Silver in the bathrooms so that he can have a laugh at his terror.
- Knife Nut: Shadow always has multiple shivs somewhere on his person. They are generally hastily improvised and have been made of anything from simple glass and cloth, to hardened toilet paper.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Shadow, himself a serial rapist, is raped in Solitary Confinement by Scourge - who is revealed to be an even worse person. It is suggested this has happened multiple times. Ironically, Shadow doesn't seem to notice that it's Karma at its finest.
- Prison Episode: This Sonic the Hedgehog Alternate Universe Fic with the Contextual Reassignment of a prison - not just the canon characters going to prison for once, but actively being convicted criminals. Active and completely unrepentant for the most part. All of the powers/talents that make them heroes in canon are simply redirected to criminal ends. Sonic robbed a bank, nearly managed a second one, killed a cop in the process and escaped normal prisons with utter ease. Shadow killed his foster parents, then used his Chaos Control to rape and murder innumerable young women, and killed several men too. He was captured when he Chaos Controlled into the path of a moving vehicle.
- Mecha-Mooks: Along with regular wardens there's also the Guard Robos. They're not particularly smart or durable but are cheap, repairable, and replaceable; the latter three traits being vital considering Prison Islands isolated nature.
- Might as Well Not Be in Prison at All: Vector has just as much power, if not more power over Prison Island than Mephiles. He's even able to run his criminal empire from inside the prison.
- Morality Kitchen Sink: Almost all the characters are morally dubious criminals, including those Sonic allies himself with. The most obvious exception is the villain.
- My Eyes Are Up Here: Shadow has a tendency to talk to Amy's breasts and ass. Mephiles does so also, but he should know better.
- Na´ve Newcomer: Silver accepts a bag of chips from Espio, not knowing that he will have to give back two bags in exchange.
- Pet the Dog: Shadow has several moments of this.
- Prison Rape: Sexual assault and rape happens to lots of characters.
- Psychic Powers: Silver has the ability to affect matter with his mind and predict the future. Upon arrival at Prison Island he's given an injection that takes away those powers.
- Psychopathic Manchild: Shadow is certainly very intelligent and calculating, and also violent and perverted, but he has so little control over his emotional outbursts that he can appear almost pitiable at times.
- Punch Clock Villain: Nack was a professional sniper while he was a free weasel.
- Rape As Back Story: Shadow the Hedgehog was sexually abused at various points in his life. The reason it is not discussed in depth is because, quite simply, he doesn't want to talk about it.
- Serial Killer:
- Shadow the Hedgehog is a Serial Killer-Rapist. His crimes seem to have a Power/Control motive, with rape as another method of control. It is also stated that there are more victims out there.
Shadow: Eleven rapes, nineteen murders. And that's just what they caught me for.
- Scourge the Hedgehog is also a Serial Killer-Rapist, but with a much more Hedonistic motive.
- Stockholm Syndrome: It is clear that Shadow is obsessed with the Prison Doctor, Amy Rose, repeatedly telling her he loves her, that she is a good person, and that he will rape her for her own good. However as the fic goes on his affection becomes slightly less creepy. This is a sharp contrast to the Psychiatrist Blaze, whom he also threatens to rape, but much more savagely.
- Story Breaker Power: It's stated that Silver could tear the whole prison apart with his mind if he had the opportunity. He was given an injection to take away this ability at the beginning.
- Straw Misogynist: Heterosexual major character Shadow the Hedgehog hates women, loudly classing them as sub-people. This is how he justifies his violence towards them to himself. The sole exception seems to be Maria. Interestingly, his hatred for women is the sole facet of his personality that is neither justified nor explained.
- This seems to be intentional. Subtext suggests that Shadow doesn't really hate women (at least no more so than he dislikes just about every other living creature); he just rapes and murders them and claims that he did so because he hates them.
- Sympathy for the Devil: Amy doesn't despise any of the prisoners she treats. It's implied that she tries to prolong some prisoners stay in her treatment area so they're temporarily safe from the more dangerous criminals.
- Tailor-Made Prison: Each inmate is carefully monitored, with all of their special abilities kept in mind at all times during their incarceration. Part of the reason Sonic was sent here is because he can't swim.
- Token Good Teammate: Silver is the only protagonist that isn't a definite Villain Protagonist.
- When You Coming Home, Dad?: This is a recent revelation - it is suggested that (as in the Archie comics) Scourge may have had a workaholic father.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Silver started off as believing that he'll bring the light of god to the prison population.
- Villain Protagonists: The whole main cast consists of violent convicted criminals. They don't even have a particuarly heroic goal; they just want to escape. But because the story is centered on them, they get the Sympathetic P.O.V. and you completely forget they're a collection of terrorists, serial killers and rapists (even though the writer never lets you forget).
- Your Head Asplode: Silver kills a future rapist in this matter. However nobody believes this was really going to happen and even the author suggests he may simply be insane.
- Your Terrorists Are Our Freedom Fighters: Sonic, Manic and Tails consider themselves this to some degree, being members of an undefined extremist political party opposing the current government. Sonic is even one of its mascots. However Sonic robbed banks, Manic has destroyed government buildings, and Tails commited international fraud to fund them. The author suggests that the party they belong to should currently be thought of as being on a level with the IRA.