An online fanfic whose chapters are spaced with wider updates each time
. While this may be the result of a writer working for an overall better product, there is a higher chance of the writer getting derailed by work or personal life. Eventually the fanfic stops updating, and the reader is left forever wanting.
The death knell comes when, rather than simply coming out with a new chapter, the author just reassures the audience they ''haven't'' given up
. Although the fanfic in question may update again - sometimes just so the author states outright that it's a Dead Fic
or on Permanent Hiatus. (Or in that matter leaving a note at the end of a chapter and telling what was supposed to happen.)
Granted, this happens all the time
, and fanfiction.net is littered with dead, some of which only have one
chapter. After all, fanfiction is the province of amateurs, and when it's not a living, you have any reason to drop the fanfic - interests may change, Real Life
may take over, et cetera
. But the pain implied in "Dead Fic
" is a fanfiction that's superbly well-written, that enhances the canon it was based on, that was clearly
the work of love and devotion, that is left to dwindle and die alone
Some fans also regard these as Dead!WIPs (Works in Progress) or WIPs of Doom since readers are left forever
hanging without any closure to the story.
Compare Orphaned Series
, Cut Short
, Left Hanging
, Stillborn Serial
. Not to be confused with a Death Fic
, though they can overlap. If this happens because the author is literally dead, then it's Author Existence Failure
. Contrasted with Completed Fic
(When adding an example, please write the specific date of last update such as "since 2013" instead of "six months/one year ago" - because in six months, the latter choice of words will be outdated).
Examples — but be warned, your love is doomed to be unrequited...
open/close all folders
Axis Powers Hetalia
- One of the better written Baldur's Gate fanfics, At Soul's Edge went through a month-long gap before the author resumed, and its sequel, Malleus Animorum, has been on a long hiatus as well. Perhaps justified, however-both gaps occurred at around the same time in each year.
- It may not be the best written fic in the world, but the Batman story Pay Attention, was at 40 chapters and going strong at levels of pure awesome when the author pulled a Houdini in 2008.
- 72 Hours Uprising: The follow-up to the most well-known Battle Royale fanfiction, 72 Hours, has stopped. It seems that the author could come up with an Even Better Sequel, so he gave up. However, he did actually get into publishing, so it's all good.
The Big O
- Styx and Stones, a haunting and brilliantly written fanfiction for The Big O that announces its enthusiastic update from October 10th... 2005... Chapter Four. (Why do we even link to these fics? They'll only break our hearts...)
- Yu-Gi-Oh! Secret of Nimh, a crossover fanfiction by a user known as Isaac2 (or ErinIsaac2). At the end of a chapter, in the middle of the final duel, the last post by the author read: "***. In writer's block. I still don't know what to write!".
- The New Students, a Harry Potter and Yu-Gi-Oh! crossover fic in which Yugi, Ryou, and Marik are invited to Hogwarts. It's hosted on Kokorononaka.net, which hasn't been updated since 2007.
- 2008 if you found it on fanfiction.net. The author handed over the script to someone else, who posted a few more chapters over the course of a year before it died in her hands as well.
- Through Broken Glass. Perhaps the best crossover between Naruto and Final Fantasy VII. Mary Sue, Porn Without Plot, and Plot Hole free! Also, it hasn't been updated for over two years (since 2009).
- A World of Adventure and Collision'' is a large, fun crossover with Digimon, Sonic, Pokémon, and Yu-Gi-Oh! back in 2003. It hasn't been updated after Chapter 89 in 2010.
- In the Daria fandom, Greystar's The Longest Year is considered a legendary deadfic. It hasn't been updated in years, despite near constant begging from the author's fans.
Dawn Of The Dead
- The Dawn of the Dead fanfic "Through These fields of Destruction" appears to have joined the category, having not received an update for over two years (2007). It is possible this is an orphaned fic as the author was mentioned as joining a form of Armed Forces (believed to be the USA's). The characters appearing have presently unknown fates.
- Morning Star is an excellent Death Note fanfic about Mello and Matt, set during the events of the series, which featured interesting characterisation and explored the relationship between the two characters. Unfortunately it started suffering from schedule slip about 11 chapters in, and hasn't been updated since 2008.
- A Digimon fan fic "Digimon Tribute" is a AU Crossover fic of the first four seasons of Digimon in the Tamers storyline. It's a very well written fic but the last time it was updated was in 2006. The author also said that he lost the patience to continue it.
- Another similar Digimon fanfic series The Fantasmic Saga, written by Twilight Arcangel, started out in 2006 and was announced to be discontinued early in 2009, due to the author's lack of time, to the distress of many readers. It got through the prologue and Book I, before posting a plot summary of the last two.
- Blinded, an extremely well-written Dragon Ball Z fanfic by dragonscales is about what would happen if Gohan went blind after his fight with Cell. Very well done and creative, but sadly it hadn't been updated since 8-20-03. Worse of all? She quit right in the middle of the World Tournament.
- Earthbound 199X was a charmingly well-done EarthBound fanfic that didn't get an update for over a year. And, check, the last chapter includes an Author's Note intended to assure readers that he hadn't given up yet. That was written a half of decade ago. (2009).
Ed, Edd n Eddy
- The third Ed Abuse is sadly a dead fic, which is sad giving the success of the previous two fics. The author has since started a remake of the first fic that is starting to become a dead fic as well.
- There was an excellent Final Fantasy VII fic written by author Solar Solethi called Children of Jenova set some 10 years after the events of the game. It did right by practically all the characters, and even their children (such as Tifa and Cloud's son, Zack) were well-written and compelling. Solethi stopped updating somewhere around Chapter 27, then, all her archives disappeared when RocketTownOnline went under, and now, the superb story is nowhere to be found at all.
- Darth Howie's Creek was a Final Fantasy VII fic, thoroughgoing spoof of the concept of the Mary Sue, backhanded sendup of several posters at the hosting board and their board culture, and an intriguing look into the lives of the little people who made Shinra atrocities possible, all at once. Then board drama happened twice, one author lost interest in the fandom while the other took months between updates, then major drama happened between the two authors, and those who were still reading packed up their hope and hit the road, leaving the hosting forum a ghost town.
- Before it was removed from fanfiction.net and thus the whole internet, a couple years back, Final Fantasy VII: The Cheesy American Soap Opera Version, loosely formated as a TV show, was a complete guilty pleasure, filled with over-the-top out-of-characterizations, ludicrous soap opera plots, and many delightful jabs at the source material. Lemme put it this way: one "season" ended with a tearful, honestly moving goodbye between Cloud and OC love interest (and non-Sue, funnily enough) Mary, in which she left in a cab and he went back into the coffee shop with the rest of the gang, only for the coffee shop to explode. It's that kind of fic.
- Tease Me, Tease Me Not is a Final Fantasy X High School AU, written by spades7717. A few certain liberties are taken with characterization, Paine from X-2 exists inexplicably as a Cloud Cuckoolander with a peculiar Catch Phrase, and a big Author Appeal in the form of Dance Dance Revolution provides the plot's forward progress in a few chapters. Given all of the above, it's actually quite enjoyable. Unfortunately, the fic ends on a cliffhanger with chapter 22, which was posted in October 2005, and Spades seems to have disappeared with her last update in late 2008.
- Gargoyles Fan Verse The Gargoyles Saga released its last update in 2006, with a three-year gap from the last one.
- It looks like the Ghost Trick fan sequel, Twisted Fates has fallen under this trope. There have been no updates since 2011 and the author admits to no current plans to continue. Still, the fans remain hopeful!
Hanna is Not a Boys Name
- The authors of the Hanna Is Not a Boy's Name fanfiction Lightwaves have confirmed that its sequel, Father of Death, will remain unfinished after five chapters, since they felt that the planned story was weak and creatively stagnant. They did post several sketches of what would have come, along with a synopsis of how the story would have gone, thus giving the fans closure.
- In 2011, author of Dead of Night confirmed that the fortieth chapter (posted only at her deviantART account) was as far as she was going before pulling the plug.
- The devastatingly HORRIBLY-written My Immortal has become — well, immortal, despite never being finished.
- The highly intelligent and thoughtful "Back Again, Harry," though lately a couple more chapters have been added, leading to hope that it might eventually be finished.
- It's been updated as of December 2013. Word of God that the story hasn't been abandoned, but it's at the bottom of his priorities.
- The interesting Harry Potter sequel trilogy Paradigm Of Uncertainty was feared to have fallen victim to this until the author released a Gainax Ending consisting of a summary of what was to happen subsequently. Mindful of this trope, the fandom appreciated it as more closure than they had expected.
- This Harry Potter fanfic, Pig in a Wig: nine chapters with the best Dudley characterization I've seen, and abandoned just when the plot starts to pick up. Active 2002-2003.
- A.L. de Sauveterre's Harry Potter and the Society of Orpheus and Bacchus accomplishes the impossible: playing all the cliches and fanon of Harry Potter fandom during the Three-Year Summer into a glorious, hilarious, compelling, and exceedingly well-written (if rather verbose) fanfiction. It never takes itself too seriously, yet is still dramatic and a wonderful continuation of the style of the earlier books. Then, at twenty-seven chapters it stops, still unfinished. Later chapters were even incorporating characters from The Order of the Phoenix note . It was last updated January 21st, 2004.
- Fans of the marvellously snarky Harry Potter Marcus Flint/Katie Bell shipper fanfic Detained got excited when it was uploaded to a new journal of the author in 2009, as it had been on hiatus for several years by then. Sadly, she still hasn't been able to update it. We live in hope!
- The Harry Potter slashfic Marriage Stone by Josephine Darcy built up to some interesting plots in 77 chapters, and then she just disappeared off the face of the planet. The last update was in March 30, 2008 and there are still people desperately hoping she will return.
- The Harry Potter and Anime/Bleach crossover  by Prelude-to-Heartbreak is possibly one of the most well-written and interesting AU fanfictions in the Bleach and HP section, with Hitsugaya being Harry. Hitsugaya is in character, though a few characters are OOC and the plot moves fast. Sadly, the last time it was updated was Apr 15, 2011, and the author's profile states they're giving their stories to someone else. But when you search up the adoptee's name, you find that they don't have the fics, so way to drop out of sight of the online world, author.
- A lot of works by Luan Mao, that have promise, are just oneshots and are abandoned. Sad, as he's a great author.
His Dark Materials
- Hitman Miami, an Affectionate Parody of Hitman 2, ended abruptly after eight chapters. Three years later (2006), the author claimed that he actually had a "pretty deep plot and a twist ending" conceived for the fic, and hoped to finish it one day. A very belated death-knell assurance.
- There are few fics in the iCarly fandom that are extremely good in comparison to the quality of the fandom itself. It's also rare to find fics with unique romance themes that have not died. Several of the stores on the fanfic rec page subsequently became dead after being put there: iGo To The Hospital, the longest Gen Fic, had 107 chapters updated in the space of roughly a year (last update 2010). Then the next chapter took ages to be uploaded, the one after that even longer, and right now it's nearly a year 'dead' (last update 2011). iDiscover I Have Superpowers updated 13 chapters in about 6 months, then stopped right at a heartbreaking moment of angst between two of the main characters.
Jackie Chan Adventures
- Velocity, a Justice League fanfic that was written around the same time as Eternal, was set several years after the animated series' final episode and introduced Zoom, the Evil Counterpart to the Flash. For the same reason as listed above, this story ended after 33 chapters, right when a number of the Flash's Rogues Gallery were set to clash with the speedster and the rest of the Justice League, and also left a crucial plot point hanging where Blacksmith, the Corrupt Corporate Executive working behind the scenes, was readying herself to take over Central City. Fortunately, a final chapter has been released that outlines what the outcome would have been (Superman fighting Girder, Blacksmith going One-Winged Angel with her own office building, Flash and Zoom having a final confrontation, Wally and Linda becoming the Official Couple and Zoom getting sucked into the Speed Force, only to escape sometime later).
- The Flash 2055, inspired by Ultimate Spider Woman and set one year after the Justice League Unlimited episode "Epilogue," focused on the rise of a Beyond-era Flash in Central City, due to the author not having heard anything of the character or his successor at this point in the DCAU time-line. While the story introduced several villains (none of whom had previously been shown in the DCAU proper) to make up a reasonable Rogues Gallery for the titular character, it ended after 26 chapters due to the author coming to a personal conviction regarding comic-book superheroes being influenced by gods of ancient cultures. Fortunately, a final chapter was published outlining how the story would have ended.
- Unfortunately Soaring On Broken Wings, the sequel to the excellent and recommended Kingdom Hearts fanfic You Don't Miss It Till It's Gone, appears to have become this, which is a shame.
- Birthday_Massacre by Skitts is a great Kingdom Hearts horror fic, with interesting characterization and a plot that starts off disjointed, but weaves together subplots and the main plot into something great. It isn't even very gory, but it's unsettling in a good way, a way that compels you to read on. Unfortunately, it was last updated 3 years ago (in 2008) after its 16th chapter was uploaded. A few months after that last update, the author wrote "I really can't be bothered with this site anymore XD" on their profile. And, sadly, it was just when the story was all coming together too.
The Land Before Time
- Even The Land Before Time has a few dead fics. Some of the most promising were Time Gate X (a SF Land Before Time thriller), Land Before Time: Voyage Through Time (Land Before Time with some time travel and Russians), Land Before Time: Remnants, sequel to the Land Before Time: War of the Worlds (both about a dinosaur war). To be specific, Time Gate X was deleted. Land Before Time: Voyage last updated in 2010. Land Before Time: Remnants last updated in 2012.
- The Land Beyond Time by The Oracle was a fusion of Science Fiction and Land Before Time with a good but mind screwy plot. In addition, there were some rather...strange plot twists. However, it has been removed from FF.net and is no longer available.
- Note: take the above with a grain of salt as all available information about this story was found on a forum and hard evidence regarding the existence of this story has not been found.
- Out of the Shadows 2, sequel to the excellent and violent as hell Land Before Time fan fiction Out of the Shadows has also not been updated since 2007. Word of God states "Cancelled though I may decide to pick up on it later" but sadly, that seems very unlikely.
- Also from the Land Before Time section, Land Before Time: The Mysterious World has fallen silent. Last update was in 2008 and the author seems to have vanished. Sadly, the chance of it being continued is nearly nonexistent.
- Silver by Regina Demonica/Crow's Nest is an Icthy-centric war story about how Icthy Dil and Strut ally with the Great Valley dinosaurs to prevent Jadeclaw from finding the real Stone of Cold Fire. It dates from 2010 and was removed from FF.net sometime in 2012.
Lilo And Stich
- The Lilo & Stitch community has Simon's Experiments II by Allius111, which left its 28th chapter on a cliffhanger, and hasn't been updated since January 2010. The worst part is the author noted in the previous chapter that he was buckling down on the story, planning to release a chapter once every two weeks.
- On April 2, 2014, the author posted a "chapter", in which he basically hit the final nail in the story's coffin, saying that he was repulsed by the idea of jumping back into a story he had written as a "very immature young man with little life experience." However, he did thank all of his readers for supporting the story and posted what notes he still had on his intentions for the rest of it, which is much more than most dead fics get.
The Lion King
- This The Lion King fancomic  that looks at an alternative timeline of Nala's life was originally meant to be a contest entry. The artist's comment under the last uploaded page (which was posted in 2009) suggests that the reason it was abandoned was because it was just too time consuming.
- TLKIII:Shadows: The story was abandoned right on a cliffhanger back in 2010.
- The Lion King fancomic Missing Mysteries◊ is an interesting one. While the comic itself hasn't been updated for over fours years, the artist is still active as of January 2013 and even started a brand new comic in 2012.
Lord Of The Rings
- One of the only fics for the Lucky Star pairing Misao/Ayano, and possibly the only dark one for it, the fanfic Mascara Sonreindo hasn't been updated in 2 years as of now (since 2009).
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
- The Nanoha doujin Betrayers only released a single chapter. In it, we see Jail has finished the Combat Cyborg program, Hayate has evidently started a civil war, and Nanoha is obliterating anyone who gets in the way... including Fate Testarossa and Subaru. It's a dark and cynical look at the Nanoha universe, realistically drawn and very well written. The purpose behind the war, Hayate's actions, and Nanoha's disturbing change of character haven't been answered in 3 years... and there's still no word on chapter 2.
- Toasty probably will never finish Mario's High School Days Super Turbo.
- Pretty much at least three quarters of all Mario Fan Games and ROM hacks on Mario Fan Games Galaxy and SMW Central ever are this, being incomplete demos that last for between 1 and about 5/6 worlds before abruptly ending with no resolution. It's just as bad on the Japanese Mario hack site for these too, which is absolutely littered with 2008/2009 era demos of potentially great games long since abandoned.
- Nysa, an AU KidFic for The Matrix was last updated in August 2005, long before any of its plot threads could be resolved.
- The epic Massive Multiplayer Crossover Fighting Game votefic trilogy known as the Ultimate Video Rumble teetered on the edge of this several times, a few times going nearly a year without an update. Twice this forced another writer to take over the majority of the writing duties: the first time this happened (midway through UVR 2), it was actually a vast improvement; the second time (early UVR 3)... not so much, but it got the story ended.
- Touhou-Project, being a site dedicated to open-ended votefics, is littered with these by nature.
- Even multi-author efforts aren't immune to this, as exemplified by the round-robin writing website ImproFanfic and its various Spin-Off sites (such as Indie Madnesse). The website remained fairly active for a few years before reader and writer interest dwindled down. The series that managed to gain endings are the exceptions rather than the rule.
- Funnily enough, when Improfanfic and other sites were still popular, there was an Impro Archive specifically dedicated to Dead Fic.
- A Jedi's Destiny: Episode I: Rise of the Sith, a Land Before Time meets Star Wars cross has not been updated since December of 2008. The author says he is revamping the story but there has been no visible progress. Which is quite sad because the story is quite good.
- Go West is an extremely good Marvel Universe fanfic by Jeremy Bottroff that resurrects Doug and Warlock and mixes in assorted members of The New Mutants and makes them into a family. It ends 26 chapters in. There's a canon story set later in continuity featuring a battle against Cable and his X-Force, but the main story halts on several cliffhangers. Also heartbreaking because it's one of the few stories that really fleshes out The Hellions.
My Little Pony
- Assumptions has unfortunately gone this way, since the author hasn't even logged in for over 6 months (last update 2012). I guess we'll never know if Rainbow Dash and Caramel will ever get together.
- Blaze, the author of the original Conversion Bureau fanfic stated in an interview with the Pony Fiction Vault that he has no desire to finish the story and declared it a mediocre Old Shame. When asked about this, he says that a combination of the intense backlash he received over the story's content and just losing interest in the story itself were what made him decide to discontinue the story.
- The My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Fanfic Kindness in Dancing is an extremely rare Fluttershy/Fleur de Lis shipping fic (as of this writing there are two on Fimfiction.Net, and this is the older one), that, despite its short chapters mananges to be a very good read, doing a great job of demonstrating the pairing, but it died with one chapter to go, with the last update being mid-April 2012. The author said, in late February 2013, that he may finish it someday.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic The immensely popular The Ballet of Twilight Sparkle had its last real update in October 2011 followed by minor edits to the already posted story up until February 2012. Naturally, the fic comes complete with a blog update from May 2013 assuring everyone the fic isn’t dead.
- The MLP fanfic entitled When Harmony Dies..... is an alternate take on 'A Canterlot Wedding,' where Queen Chrysalis decides not to imprison Twilight Sparkle and instead, manipulates her into turning against her friends for abandoning her at the wedding rehearsal. Unfortunately, the story hasn't been updated since 2012.
- The MLP fic Night Of The Shy, due to the author's death. Sadly, said passing occured barely a week after posting the final update to the story.*
- The amazing cyberpunk AU fic Starworks last updated in July 2012. The author was last seen in January 2014.
Mystery Science Theater 3000
- ...And Other Science Facts, a Mystery Science Theater 3000 fanfic that works as Joel's origin story, will probably never be updated again (Especially since the site it was on no longer exists in a non-archived form). Sadly, that means we won't see the introductions of either Crow or Tom Servo.
- Naruto Reborn Sasuke Uchiha is a very original  where Naruto takes Sasuke's body in a different world and gets a second chance to make things right. It's full of humorous characters, Naruto makes Sasuke into a likeable, interesting character while still being refreshingly in character and the author explores relationships between neglected characters in the series (such as Kin, the Sound Ninja Three, Hinata, Temari, Tenten) and even the in canon deceased Yugito Nii. It's interesting to experience a world without Naruto and see what the differences and similarities between the worlds are, and Danfiction pulls it off for 48 amazing chapters, while still letting Naruto have a link to Kyuubi as Sasuke.....and then promptly stops. The last update date was Jan 3, 2011, and when you look at the author's profile, it's completely blank, followed by a story list. He last updated a fanfiction a little while after discontinuing this one, and then he just vanished for nearly three years. Such a shame, too, as it's a great read and we'll never see the end.
- A Different Perspective is a hilarious Naruto AU, with crossovers of characters from Eyeshield 21 and technology from Ghost In The Shell and The Matrix. This story is told from the perspective of Kakashi, and has a much smarter, more rude (ie: lots of foul language) and snarkier Naruto. This story was last updated years ago, but the original author abandoned it. It has been rescued from oblivion (2008), but not continued, since the person who reposted it is not an author.
- The Hyuuga Way is a well written, humerous Naruto AU by Edric Loto about Hyuuga Hinata's arranged marriage to Uzumaki Naruto. The author promised in 2007 that another chapter was coming, but as you can see, the story has been long abandoned.
- The pure WAFF Naruto NaruHina fic One Small Step was originally supposed to be part of a 30-chapter project, but the last chapter was released in March 2008. Even the author's protestations that it is not dead haven't been heard in over half a year. This is a particularly painful example as the series (which began as a prequel, starting from a single change 5 years before the start of the series) had finally caught up to the events of the first chapter, leaving the series stopped on a massive cliffhanger.
- The Naruto fanfic Foxhound was, in the author's own words, 'Discontinued. Planned to be an epic.'
The Phantom Of The Opera
- A The Phantom of the Opera fanfiction called An Eternity of This by Mandy the O was, in its original form, an epic fic of approximately 61 chapters, whose romance was intertwined with a plot suspenseful enough to spawn fanfiction of its own. However, Mandy took the story down in 2005 to re-work it (before the original edition had even ended) and only re-posted 17 chapters. It's been dead since 2006, along with the other 2 fics on the author's profile.
- A Pokémon fanfic that seems to have died after a long run is Guardians of Pokémon. Last update was the "Obligatory Christmas Special"... for 2007. Prior to that and the few chapters immediately before that, there had been another break of over a year or so. The author claims to only be able to update regularly during the summer (when school is out)...so why is Christmas '07 the most recent one?
- The Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team fan fic Rescue Team Freedom: Ravages of War is a dark but extremely good fan fic. The last update was in 2008 and it is extremely unlikely that updates will come any time soon.
- The Mewtwo Project, a Pokémon thriller about how Team Rocket launches an invasion against a Silph Co. island research complex has been canceled as the author claims his inspiration dried up.
- Pokémon Revolution is supposed to have at least 29 chapters. The last update was Chapter 17... all the way back on January 17, 2009. Sadly, the writers appear to have lost interest in it and it ends on a rather painful cliffhanger. The same fic is also posted on a different website, with more chapters, but isn't finished there either.
- A comedic Pokémon story called Rotten Luck featured a Born Unlucky teenager who gets killed in a car accident on the day of his with his best friend/girlfriend and becomes reborn as a Ralts. The author seemed to have planned a lot for this story (especially a story arc regarding a Pokémon Contest), but after the release of its thirty-fifth chapter in September 2008 it was never updated again.
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
- ZipCode is a very curious example. Over the course of just over a month, between March 6 and April 12, 2011, he launched four Puella Magi Madoka Magica stories, some of the first ever posted, the least-favorited of which is the eighteenth most-favorited Madoka story on the site. After doing so, he's been completely silent, with many writers wondering if he's even alive. Only one of his stories, the oneshot All The Time in the World, was ever completed.
- Magica Madoka Veneficus Puella's summary now reads only "This story is dead and buried."
- Continuation story Puella Magi Homura Magica, one of the longest fics in its fandom, last updated on June 19, 2012. No news has showed up as to why.
Ranma One Half Ranma
The Ranma 1/2
; one of the absolute funniest fanfics out there, starting back in 1999 or so, collected on Sofaspud's Couch... then stopped updating back in 2003 with a half-finished teaser for the latest chapter. Kenko's page hasn't had anything added since July 2004. and nothing on his livejournal since 2005.
Romance Of The Three Kingdoms
- Janelle J. AKA Miaka Shi's absurdly long-running (for a fanfic anyway. It ran from December 1995 to 2009) Sailormoon Millennia trilogy finally gave up the ghost after 14 years, leaving the remake of the first story (Sailormoon Zodiac) and the last story (Sailormoon Genesis)
- Beautiful Destroyer Sailor Moon hasn't been updated since July 2012.
- Ryo-Wolf's epic-in-scope retelling of Sailor Moon as fused with Ranma ˝ fic Bishonen Senshi Sailor Moon. with the male martial artists of Nerima discovering they are the Pretty Sailor Scouts, which is a problem when only one of them actually can switch to and from female form. A sad loss to Ranma and Sailor Moon fandom.
Skies Of Arcadia
- Eternal Arcadia is an unbelievably good novelization of the video game Skies of Arcadia that partially suffers from this. The author has such a busy life that the fic ended up falling silent after chapter 22 and an obligatory "I haven't given up" message. A year later, she came back to it and steamrolled through 14 more chapters, but after that point she hasn't updated since May of 2009. It's especially a shame because, in terms of game chronology, she has all of three or four more chapters to go, though her tendency to expand on interesting sideplots would probably add another chapter or two to that count.
- Tale of the Wayfarer is a Spelljammer fanfic with a deep, complex plot and very memorable characters which lasted 30 chapters and then just stopped (in 2001) without any resolution. The author apparently hasn't been heard from in Spelljammer circles since that time.
- Force of Destiny is a brilliant Star Wars AU written before the prequel trilogy had been released detailing what might have happened if Darth Vader mutinied against the Emperor after learning that the Emperor had tricked him into believing he'd been permanently damaged.
- Hitchhiker. It's excruciatingly hard to find a well-written Thrawn story, let alone one where he's in a relationship. This is one of them. It started being posted in June of 02, updated regularly on the Jedi Council Forums, slowly started slipping, chapterlets shortening and more time elapsing between each. By June of 03 it quit entirely. The writer, shezan, does respond to PMs on LiveJournal, and if you're polite will tell you what her vague plan for the rest was before she stopped writing.
- Street Sharks Redux by Dark Light Shades was a retelling of the TV series Street Sharks in a much... less goofy manner. Unfortunately it has not been updated for about two years (2008), since the author has lost interest in the fandom. Her writing partner is still around though, so it's vaguely possible it could be finished through her.
- Two Superbad fanfics: Brothers, and Memories of the Past. They're pretty good (although Memories of the Past does take a while to get interesting), too bad they were never finished.
- The Aging of Haruhi Suzumiya is actually one of the better Suzumiya Haruhi fanfics out there, with quite a bit of character development. It last updated in 2009.
- You Got HaruhiRolled! was at one time the most influential Crack Fic (and one of the most influential fanfics period) in the Haruhi Suzumiya section of fanfiction.net. The last update was on July 7, 2012, and even though the fic is 86 chapters long, only five of them were written after July 25, 2010.note What's worse is that the author seems to have completely disappeared from fanfiction.net — his profile now opens with a long, apologetic note explaining that he had been unable to update for a year, but should be able to again because school is over, only, as it turns out, that he wrote that back in 2012 and has not written anything else since. Fortunately, it's a lot less disappointing than most examples on this page, because You Got HaruhiRolled! does not have a whole plot: it isn't a single story so much as an anthology of different crack fics all by the same author, who had the decency not to leave the readers hanging in the middle of an arc. The only evidence that the fic has not reached its natural end is the aforementioned note on the author's profile.
- Unfortunately, none of his other fics have been updated since that time either, and most of those actually did have some sort of plot.
- The case of 7MukuroRealm7, who also went by John Smith (which may or may not actually be his real name) is a cautionary tale that this is not always caused by the author getting bored. In 2009, he wrote a story called The Battle of Haruhi Suzumiya, which updated pretty consistently for a few months, until he got into a car accident. Author Existence Failure was thankfully averted, but John had injured his hands and so was unable to type anything for about a month. Meanwhile, he let his brother, Brian, use his account, and Brian published a few fics of his own, but didn't touch the one that was forced on hiatus. Eventually, John recovered, but so much time had passed by then that he lost all interest in continuing the story— he only ever uploaded two more chapters, neither of which brought the story even close to completion. The last update was on November 29. Though the two brothers wrote some more in other fandoms, the only other Haruhi fanfics they ever wrote after that were short holiday specials.
Tales of Symphonia
- Wild_Magelet's Spirits Cry, a simply marvellous Tamora Pierce fanfic, has not been updated in over two years... and counting (last update 2006).
- Tamora Pierce fandom in general contains these in good quantity, maybe because the novels are generally aimed at young adults, and so fans are prone to growing out of them before they finish their magnum opus. Or maybe they just go to college and then suddenly don't have time for anything.
- There is a hilariously funny Temeraire band AU out on the internet. The writing is fairly solid and everyone is in character. Sadly the last update was in 2009 and it looks like an update will not be coming. But the 3 extant parts are visible below.
- Subverted in Life After Lies, an In Name Only story set in the Total Drama universe. It was originally meant to span 19 or 20 chapters plus an epilogue. After two years of increasingly infrequent albeit more detailed updates, the author pulled the plug after chapter 18, leaving the protagonist and her sort-of love interest out of immediate danger but facing an uncertain future. In the author's farewell address, she apologized for the lack of closure and invited her readers to imagine their own endings. One of the author's beta readers eventually did just that, and wrote a closure chapter that the original author liked well enough to bless as the official ending.
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle
- X-Men: Eternity, an AU House of M series by "rjb" was constantly on the brink of this. When the first storyline finally wrapped up, it seemed we were safe. Nope. The second storyline started, the updates petered out, and finally, over a year later, the author admitted the stories would not complete and started a new story, which seems to have almost immediately suffered the same fate. Sigh.
- The X-Men: Evolution fic, Nightcrawler's Burden has been dead for over 8 years. The last time the author updated the fic (2004), YouTube didn't even exist yet, and this very site was just 4 months old.
Yami To Boushi To Hon No Tabibito
- The obscure Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito has very little fanfiction. By far the longest is a semi-dead fic called "Unabridged" that follows the anime continuity rather closely and focuses on the consequences of Eve's meddling with spacetime. Notable for very possibly not having an Eve/Hazuki ending (author hasn't decided yet), giving Lilith considerable character development (and snark), pointing out exactly who Arya is, and a reference to Dr. Strangelove involving Kogechibi and a very large bottle rocket. Also intended to cross over into Kannazuki no Miko of all things.
Yu Gi Oh
- The fantastic Yu-Gi-Oh! fanfic Continue? Gold Edition finished its 27th chapter on a mild cliffhanger: the beginning of Noah's Arc. The story had been updated sluggishly for a while, and now hasn't been updated since 2007. Not only that, but the author has moved on to various other projects, and has himself stated that it most likely won't be finished.
- LittleKuriboh's FANTASTIC fic Spirit on fanfiction.net. There have been hundreds of reviews clamouring for it to continue, having left off at an awesome moment, but it was last updated years ago, and LK's probably too busy by now...he says he's not a good writer. HE LIES. It's fantastic.
- The Yu-Gi-Oh! fanfic What Doesn't Kill You is far and away not only one of the best-written Azureshipping (Seto Kaiba / Anzu Mazaki) fics out there, but one of the best Yu-Gi-Oh! fics, period. Beginning in October 2003, the author prefaces the first chapter by saying that the story is slated to be 36 chapters long. However, five and a half years since the first post, only 26 have been posted, the last being in April 2009. Regardless, it is an absolute Doorstopper of 515 thousand words, but you probably won't complain, as every last one is very compelling. The author, Azurite, says in her most recent profile update, in May 2011, that a trip abroad might rekindle her muse. Nearly a year later, it seems we may never know.
- Yu-Gi-Oh! Eternal, the immediate sequel to Forever, was written with the intention of incorporating the then-newly-introduced deck strategies of the real-life Yu-Gi-Oh Trading Card Game, promoting Janus Yuki to main-character status in the process, and according to the author, would have gone in-depth about the students who disappeared at Duel Academy's infamous Abandoned Dorm during the canon time-line of Yu-Gi-Oh! GX. Around the time the story was midway through the Phoenix Herald Crown arc, the author started rediscovering his religious beliefs, which speak very strongly on the use of magic, and as a result the story was prematurely ended; fortunately, Neon provides information on how the story would have ended on his site profile and in G-mail messages to whoever asks, plus that information is also present on Forever's trope page on this wiki.
- Fallen King was intended to be multiple chapters, but ultimately only one was posted. It works quite well as a oneshot fic, though.
- Likewise for what's probably the best novelization of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time around. The last update was November 2006, and the previous one was nearly a year before. The first four and a half years, he averaged once a month. And long, apologetic author's note? Check.
- Also, the really good Eloze. It hasn't updated in a couple of years, which is quite sad.
- And the Zelda-fic masterpiece that is Never After is also, unfortunately, quite dead. The author hasn't posted a new chapter in more than roughly three years. Also complete with an assurance that yes, "This story is not dead."