Fan Fic: Rotten Luck
"Jonathan is a sixteen year old boy who doesn't have the best of luck. One day, he obtains a relic and after an unfortunate accident, he finds himself reborn as a Ralts."Rotten Luck is a Pokémon fanfic that is a comedic take on Pokémon transformation stories. It was written by Cevaztyen from August 2007 up until September 2008, still incomplete with 35 chapters, the last one ending in an odd cliffhanger.Written in a sort of episodic format, the protagonist is a very unfortunate person named Jonathan. The poor guy is late for a date with his female best friend and has no gift to give her, so he goes into a strange antique shop, and buys a blue statuette for cheap. When he gets close to where he and his date were going to meet, he notices a kid and his Zigzagoon playing in the street in the path of a speeding car with its driver talking on his cell phone, and runs and pushes the kid away from danger only to get hit by the speeding car himself.Almost immediately thereafter, Jonathan then hatches from an egg in the middle of a nearby forest and finds himself reborn as a Ralts, despite that there is absolutely no Gardevoir or Gallade in sight and he still has the strange statuette he bought at the antique store. After a mishap with a Mightyena, he quickly returns to his City with No Name (which impossibly borders Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh) to find his best friend/girlfriend sobbing as she watches Jonathan's dead human body being removed. When Ralts!Jonathan gets her attention, she quickly gets over the loss of her best friend/boyfriend and takes the "newborn" Ralts in to live with her, not realizing that the Ralts she is taking in is actually her reincarnated best friend of course.Later on, Jonathan goes into many misadventures with a lot of different Pokémon that he meets, mainly with a Charmander named Ember, the aforementioned Zigzagoon named Ziggy, and a wild Pichu named Rocky who is born some time after Jonathan's rebirth.The fanfic became somewhat popular among Pokémon fans who enjoy transformations due to its unique take on Pokémon transformation stories, which includes a Switching P.O.V. between Jonathan and an off-screen narrator that does the narration on each other chapter, some oddball characters and situations that Jonathan has to put up with, and of course, the very unfortunate and mostly rather nonchalant protagonist himself. In fact, to this day there are still people writing reviews for this tale on FanFiction.Net hoping for the author to come back with a new chapter.Needs Wiki Magic Love
—The summary to Rotten Luck
Rotten Luck contains examples of:
- Ancient Artifact/Protective Charm: The statuette that Jonathan holds. It's said to be in the shape of a blue feline Pokémon, one that the characters are unfamiliar with. It's implied to be a shiny Mew.
- A Day in the Limelight: Chapter 28: "Not Every Chapter Needs a Ralts"
- Affectionate Nickname: Jonathan calls Jennifer, "Jenny" (which he points out, "Those of you [readers] who thought she had blue hair watch too much anime."), and she calls him, "Jonny".
- Bazaar of the Bizarre: Jonathan gets the statuette at an odd antique store. When he finally gets the idea to go back find out more about his trinket, the entire building is gone, leaving a vacant lot in its place.
- Born Lucky: Resident bully Thomas "Tommy" Fros.
- Born Unlucky Butt Monkey: Jonathan, full stop. He is the reason for the fic's title after all.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Gamma and Taffy.
- Comically Missing the Point: Jonathan as he's looking up info about the Pokémon species he's become, specifically after seeing some moves he could learn when he gets stronger.Jonathan (narrating): So... am I supposed to lift weights or something?
- Curse Cut Short: How Chapter 18 ends."Why does that jerk get so much luck?" Jennifer asked.
"Who knows. Probably some dark ritual or something," Jonathan joked. "Still, I hate that lucky son of a-"
End of Chapter 18.
- Dead Fic: Hasn't been updated since 2008.
- Disappeared Dad: Jennifer's father who is off on a very long business trip, but it's subverted in that he still cares about his daughter and sends her money to pay for food and rent.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Jonathan in Chapter 7 as he's narrating no less.I turned around and tried to think what I was going to Jenny today now that I nightgown into a [P]ok[é]mon who can't chest the doorknob why can't I look away. I managed to break out of her little 'trance' when she started to move. "Good morning little guy!""Oh, how I would love to understand what you say sometimes!"
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Jennifer initially sees Ralts!Jonathan as a girl, causing him to freak out and (sort of) tell her that he is not a girl.
- Foreshadowing: Played with on Ember's introduction; he was first mentioned in Chapter 6 as a mysterious creature from the house next door who decided that he would introduce himself the next day. The slightly dramatic shift in narration somewhat implies that his introduction would be a bit rough. Come Chapter 8, it happens; he does get physical with Jonathan, but he merely just pounces on the new neighbor Ralts and turns out to be a very friendly Charmander.
- Gender Bender: Thanks to Taffy, we find that Ditto can change their gender as well.
- Heroic Sacrifice: What kicks off the plot after the visit to the antique store; Jonathan saves Sam (whose name was not known to either the protagonist or readers at the time) from being killed by a distracted driver on his phone and gets killed on impact.
- Improvised Weapon: Jonathan uses sticks to fight back against some tough, mean Pokémon early in the story, since he doesn't know how to use psychic attacks yet.
- Jerkass: Brick, who is obsessed with fighting other Pokémon just so he can be the strongest Tyrogue around and hopefully evolve into a particular Hitmon. (So far, it doesn't look to be Hitmonchan.) In his debut chapter, he was pummeling Murkrow away like crazy as he rampaged through their kingdom. (It was also implied by many of the Murkrow that he's done this to them before.)
- Tommy Fros is rude to everyone he meets and was not even that appreciative of the trip to the Sevii Islands that he won.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Jonathan may be a very sarcastic Mon, but he means well.
- Leet Lingo: Even in verbal speech, Gamma can only communicate in this.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Jonathan sure gets over dying and being reborn pretty damn quick.
Jennifer: "Oh my god! Are you alright?"Jonathan (translated Pokémon Speak): "All except for the headache."(A moment later after she starts washing him.)Jennifer: "I see you've gotten over that accident of yours. You really are nonchalant."Jonathan (translated): "Yes, considering I'm not freaking out as much as I was a few minutes ago."
- Also, getting flung from a ceiling fan and into an empty bathtub.
- Mood Whiplash: As mentioned above, in Chapter 5, Jennifer seems to have forgotten all about her recently-deceased best friend Jonathan when she first notices the newborn Ralts and takes him home with her. (Of course, she doesn't know that the Ralts she was taking is her best friend reborn as a Ralts.)
- No Indoor Voice: Alpha.
- Only One Name: Played straight with many of the Pokémon, even wild ones.
- Some of the humans were only known by their given names until their surnames were revealed; Jennifer, Sam (the boy with the Zigzagoon), and Claire (Sam's sister) had their last names revealed in Chapter 34. Their names are Jennifer Hickory and Sam & Claire Blueland.
- Jonathan remains without a last name revealed. Heck, his entry on Cevaztyen's long-standing favorite character poll for the fanfic even ends in a "(Last name pending)".
- Only Sane Mon: Jonathan.
- Pokémon Speak: Of course, although this mainly applies to third-person chapters that focus on the humans.
- Reincarnation: How Jonathan becomes a Ralts. He is exactly the same person as he was before, just no longer human, though none of the other characters know that.
- Roadside Wave: This happens to Jonathan twice in Chapter 12.
- Spot the Imposter: In Chapter 12, Taffy makes Ember and Ziggy do a quiz to determine which Ralts is their real friend. After three correctly answered questions between both Jonathans, Ember throws in a trick question by asking what's the color of Jonathan's eyes. This made the fake Jonathan cringe since Taffy didn't replicate Jonathan's hidden eyes, so Taffy gave up quickly and fled by transforming into a paper airplane to fly away. Even better, Ember never knew what Jonathan's eyes looked like beforehand. (They're red just like those of a typical Ralts.)
- Switching P.O.V.: Protagonist Jonathan narrates the odd-numbered chapters in first-person while a third-person omniscient narrator does the even-numbered ones.
- Tempting Fate: If something good happens to Jonathan and he acknowledges it, expect something bad to happen to him almost immediately afterwards.
- Tertiary Sexual Characteristics: Jennifer gives Ralts!Jonathan a blue bowtie to help signify that he is male.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Happens once in a while for Jonathan.Jonathan (naratting): I love it when my bad luck decides to take a break.
- We Will Meet Again: Howler says these exact words after getting punched in the face by Jonathan, then flees.
- Written Sound Effect
- You Remind Me of X: Ralts!Jonathan's misfortune reminds Jennifer of her old, often unfortunate best friend in Chapter 6.