A genre of Fan Fiction
in which we find our plucky young heroes fighting in a large military conflict, whether they want to or not. These fics almost always involve the main characters joining the military in some way, and almost always involve a focus on the weapons, tactics, and politics involved in war and how the characters react to them — as opposed to the characters themselves. Of course, this is helped a long quite a bit if said characters are already
in the military.
This comes up a lot
in series involving immortals
(where this often expands on said immortal character's Backstory
) and/or Time Travel
combined with Historical Fics
is entirely optional.
Anime and Manga
- Downfall of Bleach fandom, takes a far more realistic outlook on the Winter War- and is bitterly violent, in both ideaology and combat.
- Winter War is another Bleach War Fic, this one focusing on La Résistance after Aizen's forces win the Fake Karakura Town battle, Seireitei is occupied, and the rescue party to Hueco Mundo fails.
- "Ranma Goes to War" and its first (but not second) sequel.
- Given what subject manner the canon content was original inspired by, it probably isn't too surprising that Axis Powers Hetalia has many fics of this nature, running the gambit of world history.
- The Poké Wars series is, as the name indicates, a set of war stories set in the Pokémon universe. It's not about war between humans, but between a faction of Pokemon that decided that humans have to be eradicated no matter what, and the humans and Pokémon allied to them. The initial stories are more of a survival action genre, while the Expanded Universe details a proper war effort where both factions are truly established.
- Brothers In Arms. The School Rumble gang goes to Korea! And it has a sequel.
- Zero 2 A Revision is somewhat a Digimon 02 war fic, there things goes much more bloodier than the actual series. It gives us questions of what would happen if the Digital Emperor was more sociopathic and had nuclear weapons, if Demon attacked the Real World with a real invasion army, if Devimon returned from the dead and digivolved to a mega, if the Flood and the Covenant from the Halo universe decided to pay a visit, if Malo Myotismon had the power of a God and so on.
- The TSAB – Acturus War: The TSAB goes to war against the Democratic Republic of Acturus.
- The Faceless is a Death Note War Fic where the human race is dying out while they kill each other over whether or not they should kill each other to serve the Gods of Death.
- Considering Mobile Suit Gundam 's (and its numerous series) war drama settings, as well as the War Is Hell message, its no surprise to see many fanfics set during wartime, whether they're side stories, sequels, or even prequels to the wars already seen.
Films - Animated
Film - Live Action
- Reunions Are A Bitch is probably one of the best examples in the Intercontinuity Crossover category. Featuring what has got to be the most detailed (and, as a consequence, one of the longest) description and execution of a crossover between Stargate SG-1 and Battlestar Galactica ever made. For lovers of realism, politics, and massive space battles it's a must. Can be read here.
- ''Trek Wars: The Furry Conflict'' is exactly that: a pitched conflict of good and evil across two galaxies in a dystopic alternate timeline where the UFP and the Empire are whaling on each-other with everything they got and everyone (save for a few Star Wars species) is a furry. Notable for being one of the longest running (and by longest, we mean it updates maybe twice a year) crossover series on the net.
- PonyCraft: Friends of Equestria is a crossover of StarCraft II and My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic (as StarCraft is a war game, well…). Here, Twilight also has to learn how to be a leader.
- The Last of the Cliffhangers Unit featured the cast of Higher Ground in the Future Badass arc of a largely uncompleted Mega Crossover in which Scott's stepmother Elaine is a demon general and the Cliffhangers are a Special Forces Unit. The fic really only covers the beginning and the end and doesn't really going into the complexities of the actual meat of the actual war part of it. The second chapter of Curse of Life, Miracle of Death takes place in the same timeframe (the first and third chapters were largely self-insertion).
- The whole idea of Pink Alert 3 is a huge World War breaking out between the icy Soviet Pony Republic, the battered Holy Equestrian Alliance and the underwater Aquestrian Empire. The magic begins when Soviet tanks invade the Alliance without warning (but possibly not without justification, considering what life is like for the ponies and other creatures living there) and the Equestrians mobilize their armies, including their ridiculously overpowered Air Force, to defend themselves. Further into the backstory, there was also the Pink Rebellion, a Communist uprising against the unchallenged tyranny of the Alicorns. It failed, but perhaps luckily, led to the Republic being established in the Frozen North by the surviving rebels.
- The backstory of Fallout: Equestria involves the Mane Six becoming Equestria's military leaders under Princess Luna after Princess Celestia abdicates following the Littlehorn Massacre, leading to a genocidal total war against the zebra nation. They fail miserably, all of their combined personality flaws and Luna's mismanagement contributing to Equestria's ruin, with four of the one of them disappearing, two dying horrific deaths during the apocalypse and the other two being consigned to staying alive and witnessing the downfall of their world without being able to do anything.The "luckiest" one gets locked in a Stable.
- Time War chronicles the events of the Time Lords being dropped into the Star Trek universe at the end of the last great Time War.
- Firefly fanfic does this quite a bit, with the Miranda wave being the catalyst for a second major war between the Alliance and the Independents. Prequels or flashback chapters focusing on Mal and Zoe's wartime experiences are also common.
- The Gateworld Virtual Fleet: Exactly What It Says on the Tin, focusing mostly on the galactic and intergalactic conflicts in the future of the Stargate Verse.
- In Doctor Who, the Last Great Time War has never been reviewed in canon, save as a Noodle Incident (for cost measures, the Time War lies according to Russell T Davies above the budget of the whole BBC in a year). Needless to say, this means the Eighth Doctor has some fanfiction about this occasion.
- With the reveal of the War Doctor he seems to be taking this role.
- ''CombatEvolution'' is a Halo fanfic that attempts to rewrite a well known event in the Halo canon . . . with really, really, REALLY expensive weapons systems. If you like Gun Porn, you will LOVE this fic.
- Exoria is a distant, modern-day sequel to The Legend of Zelda series. Despite managing to stay true to the usual Zelda formula, such as item acquisitions, dungeon grinds, and boss fights, the author never fails to remind you that the story is set in the midst of a continental war, and things can get brutal.
- Played with in the Zelda fanfic Liberty Rock. Link goes off to help hold a fort in a neighboring country's civil war, but rather than focusing on the tactics, politics, or weaponry, the main focus of the story is on the characters' days besieged in the fort dealing with monotony, stress, and dwindling hope.
- Metal Gear Solid 3 fanfic The Joy of Battle is set during World War II, which fits with MGS canon. Unlike the majority of MGS fics, especially those taking place during World War II, The Joy of Battle averts most War Fic tropes in that the story is about the characters with war as a backdrop and a complication.
- Tiberium Wars is one of the better known examples. A full-blown novelization of one of the most popular RTS franchises out there.
- Armored Core fanfic Armored Core: from the Ashes is set very closely after the events of Armored Core for Answer, and with the reformed ORCA winning.
- Mario Warfare, a retake on Super Mario Bros. in the style of modern military action.
- Numerous Kerbal Space Program fan-works and GameMods.