is a popular medium, and thanks to the nature of Sturgeon's Law
, some of it can indeed be quite good to read.
And some of that fanfiction may actually become so interesting to some readers, that those readers are inspired to write fanfiction based on those stories, despite the fact (or perhaps because
of it, in some cases) that the original story is fanfiction in and of itself…
This is Recursive Fanfiction
Care should be taken with this trope, as the story that said fanfic is based on must
be a fanfiction as well. If the fiction that it is based on is not itself based on another work of fiction, then that’s a normal Fan Fic
, and not this trope.
Original fiction → regular fanfiction → Recursive Fanfiction → still Recursive Fanfiction, but of a higher (deeper?) level.
Not to be confused with Meta Fic
. When fan fiction spawns enough recursive fan fiction set in the same continuity, a Fan Verse
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Nobody Dies has several sidestories written by both the author and others, including Six AIs, One Continent and The Kei Files.
- Kyon: Big Damn Hero has Traveller.
- Meet The Suzumiyas has ''The Observations of Damon Rizuela, written with permission from JonBob0008.
- Eva-R has Evangelion: Redemption.
- The Death Note fandom has at least two fanfics that inspire recursive fanfiction:
- The Finale of the Ultimate Meta Mega Crossover technically counts, since it contains references to at least three different fanfics ("Thousand Shinji", "Shinji and Warhammer 40,000", and "Once More With Feeling"). However, it's more notable for being infinitely self recursive.
- Shadow League is a fanfic based off the infamous Dark Fic Pokémon Master, amongst countless others.
- Say what you will about the infamous Axis Powers Hetalia "Economic Crisis Gangbang" Kink Meme fill and its content, but it proved popular enough to spawn a plethora of spinoffs about America's PTSD after the event, what would have happened if the other nations had mistaken Canada for America or if America had actually put his Super Strength to good use or chewed out the other nations for their heartlessness, a consensual or at least less disturbing version of it, etc.
- The Tear Jerker ending of the US/UK doujin Silencer affected some readers enough to write/draw Fix Fic for it.
- The infamous Gorn fic Debt has a recursive parody fanfic written by its own authors, in which the first chapter is rewritten as a cosplay game Gone Horribly Wrong in which the China cosplayer turns out to be a psychopath and breaks out the knives. Taking this as an implication that the writers wouldn't mind it being parodied (particularly since they expressed pride that the original Debt nearly ended up on the So Bad, It's Horrible page), someone made a fanart piece depicting China confronting his Villain Sue replacement (not work safe for swearing, blood, and suggested extreme violence).
- Not to mention all the fanfics on what the ending could've been for Heta Oni...
- Dungeon Keeper Ami has spawned several of these (though most of them are short one-shots).
- In Flight has spawned several spin-offs, most notably The Emiya Clan.
- The Dirty Pair fanfic I Am One by Sean Gaffney is a followup to Larry Mann's influential story Experiment 101-E. (The story covers the same basic ground as the sequel Mann co-wrote with Ryan Matthews, Reunions, but goes in a different direction.) Gaffney's sequel to I Am One, Won't Get Fooled Again, raises the stakes on this trope by including several other authors' Dirty Pair original characters as cameos (along with the multiple crossover characters).
- Boy Scouts ˝ is a Ranma ½ Elsewhere Fic centering on a group of Self Insert characters from Massachusetts. When three acquaintances of the creator of Boy Scouts ˝ were given cameo appearances in one story, one of those acquaintances began a spinoff series called Perspectives.
- Game Theory served as a large inspiration for Ragazza Magica Renza Veneti, a crossover with Puella Magi Madoka Magica, though more in the way of setting than plot.
- The Private Diary of Elizabeth Quatermain apparently has several.
- The Lost in Time Series has one called Lost in Time: Destiny.
- The well-known How to Train Your Dragon fanfiction Hitchups got one, a oneshot based off the story with the author's permission called The Elder's Prediction.
- This occurs at least three times in The Lion King fandom:
- The Lion King Adventures is the most famous example, with no shortage of fan fiction being made by the fans. Even the spin-offs have fanfics.
- "Chronicles of the Pridelands" invented the character Tanabi, Simba’s son. Nearly every TLK fan began using the character in their own Next Gen Fics. His popularity soon declined though, due to the release of the Six New Adventure book series, which gave Simba a different son, Kopa. The release of the second film with the arrival of Kiara made all but the oldest fans forget Tanabi.
- Joanna-TLK’s fancomic continues on from the last chapter of Savu0211’s fancomic, which by then, had almost nothing to do with the original films.
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality has not only inspired its own fanfics, such as Once Upon a Tower and Nightmares of Azkaban, but "Rational" fics have become a kind of sub-genre.
- The most famous Rational fic beside Methods, Luminosity, has spawned several fan short stories.
- The large Harry Potter projects The Shoebox Project, Dumbledore's Army and the Year of Darkness and the Dangerverse have their own fanfic.
- All the sequels to My Immortal.
- Fanfic for Wicked is recursive, since the book is a derivative work (like fanfic, but it's legal to publish) of The Wizard of Oz. And fanfic for the musical would be...fanfic for a musical based on a book based on a movie based on a book.
Live Action Television
- There are quite a few stories written by authors other than the original CP Coulter that use original characters from the Glee fanfic Dalton.
- The Harmonverse, a series of Glee fanfics centred around the Original Character of Jack Harmon. It includes four ongoing novelizations of Glee and over 40 stories altogether.
- The Contract has ended up spawning a number of other fanfics, forming a world known as the Contractverse. They include:
- Lifeline, a companion piece to The Contract.
- Exigencies, a Continuation Fic for The Contract.
- Recovery, Where the Rails Converge, and A Gentle Knock at the Door, all separate sequels to Exigencies.
- PATIENT, a sequel to A Gentle Knock At The Door.
- Creepy Pencil Story, a short "What-If" story,
- Pencils are Dangerous, a sequel series to Creepy Pencil Story.
- The Kindness of Strangers, a oneshot addition to Pencils are Dangerous.
- Two Two One Bravo Baker, a military AU of the Sherlock universe, has spawned its own works of fanart and fanfic.
- Homestuck out the wastechute. Fans will create alternate universes, the alternate universes will become popular, people will write fanfics set in the alternative universes... and then there's the fanart of alternative universes.
- The Grand Battle is the most notorious in having fanart and other fan stuff based on itself.
- There is genderbent fanart of a cosplay of a fanart of a memetic guy that randomly got into a picture of cosplay.
- Unwanted Free Ugly Troll gets one in Loophole.
- Adventure Time has an In-Universe example. Ice King wrote a Rule 63 fanfic of the show, in the episode "Fionna and Cake." The episode "Bad Little Boy" has Marceline then writing her own continuation of it.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic has had at least six fanfics that have been fanfic'd:
- There's the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fanfic The Conversion Bureau, which has spawned tons of fics set in the same setting or a variant thereof; no wonder, since it is a very convenient setting for Wish Fulfillment and satisfying one's desire to live in the story. Its misanthropic tone has, however, spawned responses like The Conversion Bureau Not Alone.
- Fallout: Equestria has a number of sub-fics. Though that's understating the case: "a number of sub-fics" means over 200 of them. The most notable is Project Horizons, which has even spawned fanfic of its own.
- Cupcakes has several alternate ending fanfics written, and a few sequels.
- FiveScoreDividedByFour has tons.
- Progress, focused on Princess Luna adjusting to the changes in Equestrian society over the last thousand years, has inspired Luna Vs. Videogames, Celestia vs. Time, and the NSFW Luna Vs. Threesome.
- Luna having an abacus is mentioned in several otherwise unrelated fics.
- Silent Ponyville has gone on to spawn at least three different fanon continuities, some of which have had a significant influence on the central continuity. Also has a DeviantART group with plenty of fanon works.
- The Pony POV Series has spawned another Discorded Ponies Series fanfic and The Letters To Ponies series.
- Xenophilia has gone on to spawn a significantly large number of other recursive stories.
- Also, Story of the Blanks is referenced as a real occurence in a lot of fanfiction.
- A couple of fics are set after Past Sins, though it's usually just an excuse to use Nyx without being a direct sequel to the story. Reality Checks Nyxverse is very much a sequel.
- Each chapter of The Sweetie Chronicles: Fragments is set in the universe of a different pony fanfic. Stories covered so far include Of Mares And Magic, Nightmares Don't Last Forever, The Light Never Goes Out, On a Cross and Arrow, Fallout: Equestria - Pink Eyes, The Best Night Ever and The Immortal Game, and the second April Fools episode takes a turn through several of the author's own other stories. Furthermore, This Platinum Crown (the sequel to The Best Night Ever) is said to treat the events of that chapter as canon.
- Friendship Is Optimal has a group, “The Optimalverse”, for its fanfiction. Several stories also have their own pages, including Friendship Is Optimal Always Say No, Friendship Is Optimal Caelum Est Conterrens, Friendship Is Optimal The Law Offices Of Artemis Stella And Beat and Let's Play: Equestria Online!.
- The Daria fanfic God Save The Esteem has spawned a prequel, Moving Pictures, as well as numerous other stories up to and including the obligatory lesbian Slash Fic.
- They both started being written at around the same time, so it's more likely that it's two different, but similar series that ended up sharing their continuity.
- The Kim Possible fanfic A Small Possibility, with the author's given permission, has spawned many a Kim/Shego fanfic featuring their spawn from the original, Kasy Ann and Sheki Go.
- The fanfic Strays, hosted in the Young Justice Kink Meme, has several future-fics set to it and attached its thread despite the story still being in its early stages and in the process of being fleshed out. There is also fanart for it, featuring the costume designs for the Batkids' new hero identities.
- This Superjail! one-shot fic is actually a sequel/epilogue to Fix You, written with the original author's given permission of course.
- Phineas and Ferb fandom has a Next Gen Fic pairing that many people have taken to writing fanfic for, Thomas Fletcher (son of Ferb and Vanessa) and Marie Garcia-Shapiro Flynn (daughter of Phineas and Isabella). They have their own Portmanteau Couple Name (Thomarie) and a ton of art for them on deviantART. There's even artwork of them signed by the Latin-American voice actors for the show.
- In the Goof Troop fandom, there are several stories based on one fan's extensive mythos surrounding an Alternative Character Interpretation of Bradley Uppercrust's backstory (specifically one that makes him a Jerkass Woobie); Turning Back Time is one such story that seems to be better-known than anything the original author did.