Webcomic / Down the Street
Down the Street
is as spin off by Heroesdaughter
of the Web Comic Roommates
by Asherhyder (so part of the Buildingverse
), along with Girls Next Door
. This one is focused on a nearby building where the classic but unlikely pair of Dr. Frankenstein
are sharing an apartment, Mrs. Lovett
runs her Pie Emporium and Mina Harker
has temporally moved with her. Found here
A lovely, if easily overlooked
, comic full with intelligent and disguised cult references.
This comic provides examples of:
- Adorkable: Victor Frankenstein.
- Absent-Minded Professor: Victor Frankenstein is a teacher at the same university as Erik and James, according to the Roommates continuity
- Affably Evil: Dracula whenever a girl (except Mina) is around.
- All Love Is Unrequited: Almost every character has or is the focus of one or more unrequited loves.
- Alternative Character Interpretation: Invoked. The main characters are adapted in order to make the plot plausible; otherwise it would have all already ended in a bloodbath.
- Altum Videtur: Dracula.
- Art Shift: Related to the mood of what’s portrayed.
- Blood Bath: Mentioned by Dracula during the Blind Date arc.
- Bishie Sparkle: Mostly committed by Jareth (naturally) and Edward in his cameo appearance. Dracula does have his moments, however, and insinuates that it might be a side affect of the time he bit Jareth.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: The brides. Averted to white in Leuca's case possibly to reserve the brunette place either for Mina or Sarah.
- Composite Character: Dracula is a mixture of almost every Dracula portrayed (including Count von Count, which is mentioned by the very Vlad in the story). Victor stands as a mixture between the literary character and Kenneth Branagh.
- Creating Life: Quoted by Victor.
- Damsel in Distress: Averted in the case of Mina.
- Dracula: Vlad, of course.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Jareth and Dracula.
- Everything's Better with Sparkles: Glitter and sparkles are a recurrent topic in these series.
- Evil Makeover: Dracula, several times.
- Failure Is the Only Option: This building shares the Fail Field surrounding the one of the other two comics.
- Fanservice: Mostly takes place whenever are vampires related.
- Femme Fatalons: Jareth when showed gloveless.
- Fun with Foreign Languages: Dracula, so badly
- Gratuitous Foreign Language: Recurrent.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: Dracula, Crowley.
- Goth: In terms of general mood since many of the characters are taken out of goth literature.
- In fashion terms, one of the brides is designed as a Gothic Lolita
- High Collar of Doom: Dracula
- Erik is also portrayed with one.
- Horny Devils: Draculas brides. And Crowley, though that hasn't featured much (save for the fact that he was very eager to have said brides come to his apartment).
- Insistent Terminology: Doctor Frankenstein. It isn't quite a Berserk Button...yet...but it does rather peeve Victor when his degree is forgotten.
- Intercontinuity Crossover: The comic crosses over not only content from the stories the characters are taken from but also the original Roommates and the Girls Next Door spin off.
- Kiss of the Vampire: Vlad on Jareth.
- Love Hurts: Almost everyone; it seems to be a structural condition of the series.
- Love Triangle: Victor-Mrs. Lovett-Sweeny Todd, Mina-Dracula-Jonathan, Sarah-Jareth-Dracula, Dracula-his brides-their victims, …
- Mad Scientist: Obviously Victor Frankenstein.
- Mad Scientist Laboratory: Victor has mentioned having one.
- Man of Wealth and Taste: Dracula.
- Massive Multiplayer Crossover: Par for the course in a Roommates spin-off.
- Mistaken for Gay: Jareth every time Dracula is around.
- Oblivious to Love: Arguably, Sweeney Todd to Mrs. Lovett.
- Also Victor, regarding his “inmunity” to the Brides’ seduction.
- Ominous Fog: pages 19-20.
- Ominous Opera Cape: Dracula and the Phantom of the Opera.
- Operation: Jealousy: Mrs. Lovett starts entertaining Victor's attempts at romance in the hope that Sweeney will notice. It works.
- Pet the Dog: Averted, with Sweeney and the Rabbit of Caerbannog.
- Recursive Fanfiction: This is a Roommates Spin-Off which is a Massive Multiplayer Crossover fancomic... or more precisely a Girls Next Door Spin-Off which makes it doubly recursive.
- Rescue Romance: Vlad to Sarah.
- Running Gag: The Mistaken for Gay between Jareth and Dracula
- She's Got Legs: Dracula’s brides.
- Sibling Triangle: Dracula’s brides.
- Scenery Porn: Erik’s room.
- Stalker with a Crush: Almost every man in the story.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Mina, so far.
- Tangled Family Tree: Dracula not only has three canon brides, but has mentioned Lestat as his grandson and the historical Florescu as his legitimate descendants.
- The Klutz: Victor shows it in general terms. He once forgot that a scalpel was stuck in his thigh until Erik pointed it out to him.
- The Rival: Jareth-Dracula.
- It can also be applied to Victor-Sweeney even when we don’t know yet if Victor is aware of it or not.
- The Pornomancer: Dracula
- Triang Relations: The most focused-upon Love Triangles all come to a somewhat convoluted 4, with 7 a very likely possibility.
- Trickster Archetype: Jareth
- Universal Horror: Several characters show inspiration/make reference to the classic Universal horror movies: Frankenstein, Dracula, The Phantom of the Opera, …
- Villains Out Shopping: Dracula updating his wardrobe and holding errands for Victor.
- Villain Protagonist: Almost the whole cast.
- Wicked Cultured: Insinuated on Dracula.
- Your Vampires Suck: Suggested inner confrontation between Dracula’s vampiric concept, the Vampire Chronicles’ one and Twilight’s one.