A winged unicorn is a unicorn with wings The idea would be to combine all the mobility of a flying creature with grace and rarity (and occasionally magical ability) of a unicorn. Also known as an pegacorn, unipeg, or cerapternote , but (popularised by My Little Pony) the most familiar term to use for this species was Alicorn, which is a combination of the French words for wing (aile) and horn (corne). note When winged unicorns appear alongside regular pegasinote and unicorns, it often indicates a (benevolent) hierarchy where they're usually top of the pecking order. In fantasy universes featuring humans, winged unicorns often serve as the Cool Horse, and will indicate that their rider is super-special. Generally, they are rare — too many of these critters running around your fantasy world might make a work seem juvenile, since it's a melding of two magical creatures little girls generally adore. It's more likely to be a one-off creature with an unusual background (a "freak" unicorn or pegasus, a mysterious race in itself, or the result of powerful magic). It's surprisingly uncommon for them to be the actual hybrid offspring of a unicorn and a pegasus. A Sub-Trope of both Unicorn and Pegasus, and also Hybrid Monster. However, to most Asian cultures, there is no difference between a winged unicorn and a regular unicornnote . Depending on the culture specifics, normal unicorns either don't exist in their folklore and all unicorns have wings, or the unicorns of their culture can magically make their set of wings appear and disappear at will.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Unimon of Digimon Adventure.
- Pegasus AKA Helios in Sailor Moon is winged, of course, but is also a unicorn as well.
- The title character of Unico could use his magic to give himself wings in dire situations. He developed little bug wings and a slightly longer horn in sort-of bad situations, and became a full-grown silver unipegasus for those really bad occasions. Like dealing with a giant embodiment of evil.
- Opal of Jewelpet.
- Most of the characters from My Little Unicorn.
- "Unipegs" are featured in My Inner Life.
- Pretty much any My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fanfic will naturally include these.
- Some My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fics explore the theme of alicorn ascension, comparing it to the quest for godhood or eternal life. For example, Whispers introduces a means of artificially creating an alicorn through the power of science, via combining the racial abilities of pegasi, earth ponies and unicorns. This contrasts with Twilight Sparkle's more "natural" ascension.
- Fallout: Equestria has artificially-created Alicorns, although they are not true deific Alicorns like Celestia and Luna, instead being mere imitations.
- And at one work ('Rites of Ascension', written without much reference to season 3) even considers winged unicorns separate from alicorns.
- And another 'winged unicorn, not alicorn' example: The Moonstone Cup has Twilight doing this for most of the tournament, using the same spell she used for Rarity in 'Sonic Rainboom'.
- In From Here to Eternity Discord's mother looks like one, just with the wings of a dragon. However she's not a pony, she's just a spirit that resembles one.
- In Theirs Is The Glory, the emblem of the 1st Airborne Division features Pegasus with a horn.
- Gaudior from A Swiftly Tilting Planet.
- Imwraith-Nimphais, the red star of war, from The Fionavar Tapestry.
- Piers Anthony and Julie Brady's Dream A Little Dream is a Fantasy Kitchen Sink where the two super-powerful "creators" of the magical world are bonded to a winged unicorn (referred to in the novel as a "unisus"), Esprit. The perfect prince, Michael, also has a winged unicorn stallion, Heat.
- Also by Piers Anthony, Demons Don't Dream has a winged unicorn, referred to as an alicorn. It's claimed that alicorns are the very rare offspring of a unicorn and a griffin.
- One of Norton's quests in the Incarnations of Immortality book Bearing An Hourglass is to free an alicorn from an evil sorceress.
Live Action TV
- Rare evil (and anthropomorphic) example: The Polluticorn from Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.
- A song from the Rhapsody of Fire is titled "The Last Winged Unicorn"
- Another song called "The Last Unicorn" is about a unicorn that grows wings in order to survive The Great Flood.
- While it has not appeared in any songs yet, fans of Taylor Swift tend to like pegacorns since she mentioned one in the behind-the-scenes video for "White Horse." And she dressed up as one for Halloween and spent the entire day doing interviews in costume.
- When Wally in Dilbert joins the "1% club," he gets the key from a tiny flying unicorn.
Table Top Games
- Dungeons & Dragons calls them alicorns.
- In Warhammer Fantasy, the carnivorous Black Pegasus invokes a more malevolent take on this trope, as it has a unicorn-like horn (or sometimes more than that), which it uses to gore and impale prey, and bat-like wings.
- Yu-Gi-Oh! has Crystal Beast Sapphire Pegasus.
- In the Fire Emblem series, Falcoknights ride what appear to be winged unicorns, although the horn could conceivably be part of the pegasis' armor.
- Although the horse itself is never actually seen, the first Baten Kaitos game has a Magnus card called Pegasus Horn.
- The Uniceros in Tales of the Abyss.
- In the parody Flash game Linear RPG, the mysterious Tseret Nievol has a pet pegacorn, supposedly so awesome that Chuck Norris has eight of them.
- Quite a few varieties of Winged Unicorn are offered as limited-edition or bonus items in Farmville. Some of them ramp up the Glurge with butterfly wings.
- Princess Sophia befriends one of these in the Awakening series, who then gives her a ride to the Skyward Kingdom.
- Shin Megami Tensei IV's take on the Centaur includes a pair of these on its shoulders.
- This is showcased in the hospital trailer for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. After waking up from his coma Big Boss flees from the hospital on horseback, only to have a demonic entity pursue him on top of a flaming pegasus with a unicorn horn. Given the surreal nature of the trailer this is probably a hallucination, but supernatural elements are not unknown to the Metal Gear series.
- The Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures has one as the boss of Happy Fun Candy Time.
- Charger Escape by Pastel Games has you transform a regular horse into a unicorn into a winged unicorn.
- Imagia 3: The Quarry has a winged unicorn missing both its wings and horn, requiring you to solve a set of puzzles in order to give them back to it.
- From The Annoying Orange and related videos, one can be seen in Daneboe Exposed #9: Daneboe Apocalypse, Nyan Boe, Annoying Orange Presents - Grapefruit's Totally True Tales: Bigfoot, and Ultimate Marshmallow Tease.
- The Unis in Neopets.
- In Aelan mythology from Ustal Naror islands, there will be no winged unicorns, but horned pegasi — other name would be insult to unicorns since horned pegasi will be too stupid.
My Little Pony
- In the My Little Pony franchise, these were almost unheard of until Generation 4, the first generation to feature permanently winged unicorns.
- In My Little Pony: Escape from Catrina, a Blooper causes pegasus Baby Surprise to have a horn for a couple of shots during the song "Let's Not Take A Nap".
- The My Little Pony Tales episode "Up, Up and Away" features the four Glow 'n Show Ponies with wings, despite only Starglow being a pegasus in the toy line. Dazzleglow, a unicorn in the toy line, has both wings and a horn here.
- Four Generation 2 unicorns came with clip-on wings: Copper Glow, Silver Glow, Golden Glow, and Diamond Glow.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic dodged the question of what this type of pony is called (referring to them merely as unicorns in the Season 1 premiere episode "Friendship is Magic, part 1" and the Season 2 episode "A Canterlot Wedding - Part 1") until Season 3, which introduces the term "Alicorn" (also used by some of the show's staff and by Mighty Fine's online store WeLoveFine) in the episode "Magic Duel" and confirms it to be the in-show term for this type of pony in the Season Finale episode "Magical Mystery Cure" (outside of the show, Hasbro's My Little Pony Facebook page has used the term "Pegasus unicorn" in one post, while the German and Swiss Nickelodeon and German Nick Jr websites have used the German term "fliegendes Einhorn"). The Tie-In Novel Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell establishes that an Alicorn is "a special breed of pony", "able to harness the magical powers of the Unicorns, the flight abilities of the Pegasi, and the strength of a good, true heart of an Earth Pony." Trading cards previously listed them as being Pegasi and unicorns but not Earth ponies, and have since listed them as being all three. The fandom generally both dislikes and discourages the use of Alicorn Original Characters in Fan Fiction because they tend to end up being overpowered God-Mode Sues.
- Princesses Celestia and Luna appear to be out-and-out Physical Godesses and the twin deities of the world, being able to live thousands of years and having immense magical power — Princess Celestia raises the sun every day, and Princess Luna raises the moon every night.
- Celestia's niece Princess Cadance is another Alicorn princess, although she doesn't seem to have anywhere near the same level of power as Celestia and Luna. Possibly signifying this, she also lacks their floating, insubstantial, magical-looking manesnote . We see in the third season premiere episodes "The Crystal Empire - Part 1" and "The Crystal Empire - Part 2" that she does have extremely powerful magic based on The Power of Love, but she can't maintain it to the degree of her aunts. Though she's also at least a thousand years younger than they are. The Tie-In Novel Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell reveals that she gained Alicornhood similarly to Twilight. She was a Pegasus who was given a horn by Celestia and adopted as a niece.
- The show's main protagonist Twilight Sparkle becomes yet another Alicorn princess in the above-mentioned third Season Finale episode "Magical Mystery Cure", with a toyline centered around her coronation. This was... controversial, to put it mildly. However, the fandom nearly doubled in size after that episode, and most fans got over it by season 4. Fimfiction.Net finally removed the separate Twilicorn character tag, the last vestige of the controversy, in December 2014.
- In "Hearts and Hooves Day", an Alicorn princess is told of and shown in a book. The story doesn't really fit with her being any of the ones established in the show.
- In "The Mysterious Mare Do Well", the eponymous heroine appears to be one. This turns out to be because she had a Collective Identity which included unicorn Twilight Sparkle and Pegasus Fluttershy, with Mare Do Well's Badass Cape and Nice Hat hiding the fact that she never had wings and a horn at the same time.
- Unicorn Rarity gains butterfly-like wings in "Sonic Rainboom" via a temporary magic spell, in the toy Glimmer Wings Rarity via an Imagine Spot, and in the licensed merchandise Rarity Fabulous Bag and Flight◊ of the◊ Ponies. The spell or a similar one is used in Gameloft's My Little Pony Licensed Game if the player plays a flying minigame as any unicorn (or Earth pony or zebra).
- The changelings are bug monster ponies with their own kind of wings and horns, obviously not looking a lot like any traditional unicorn.
- The So Soft Newborn branch of the toyline features an Alicorn called Princess Skyla; since she hasn't appeared elsewhere, her present-day age is unknown. Fanon likes her as the daughter of Cadence and Shining Armor.
- In one of Adventures in Ponyville's minigames, Twilight Sparkle uses magic to give the player's pony (as well as an Earth pony friend of that pony's) temporary pegasus wings. If the player's pony is a unicorn, she'll be one of these until the minigame is over.
- One of the French magazine stories introduces Canon Foreigner Léon, Princess Celestia's 4-year-old cousin.
- Exclusive to the licensed merchandise:
- the Dr. Hooves Line shirt, Dr. Hooves shirt and iOS case, Hooves Scribble shirt, and Dr Hooves shirt feature a pair of alicorns (Captain Ersatzes of Weeping Angels)
- the formerly available Grown Up Ponies◊ art print depicts Pegasi Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy with unicorn horns
- the formerly◊ available◊ Engineered◊ Alicorn◊ shirt◊ and the Steampunk Trixie men's shirt respectively depict unicorns Twilight Sparkle with steampunk wings
- the formerly available All Dem Ponies◊ men's shirt features six Alicorns (unofficially named Chaos, Terra, Blood Diamond, Aurora, Morning Star, and Starfyre)
- the◊ formerly◊ available◊ Iconic◊ Print◊ shirt◊ features a Creator Cameo of producer Lauren Faust's pony-self
- the We're All Doomed men's shirt depicts Pegasus Derpy Hooves with a unicorn horn.
- In the Virtual Paper Doll Web Games The Fabulous Ponymaker and Rarity's Bridal Boutique, the ponies can be these if they're designed that way by the player◊.
- Gameloft's My Little Pony Licensed Game seemingly depicted unicorn Fleur Dis Lee with Pegasus wings until an update, which revealed this previous version to have been a Changeling. Outside of the game itself, a model sheet that they sketched for the game depicts unicorn Sweetie Belle with Pegasus wings.
- A couple of the show's Bloopers have made ordinary ponies into these: three stallions in the Canterlot Royal Guard during a Flashback from the episode "A Canterlot Wedding - Part 1" and a unicorn filly in Magic Kindergarten during an Imagine Spot from the episode "Lesson Zero". Rarity also gained wings◊ in an animation error in "Pinkie Pride".
- A few of the many suspected factory reject and/or prototype toys are these: of unicorn Rarity, of toy-exclusive Pegasus Flitterheart, and a Glimmer Wings mashup of unicorn sisters Rarity and Sweetie Belle.
- The toyline now features Princess Sterling and Princess Gold Lily.
- She-Ra: Princess of Power: She-Ra had Swift Wind, to whom she referred as a "Pegacorn." In one episode of the show, she and Swift Wind discovered an entire island populated by these.
- Princess Gwenevere and the Jewel Riders: Sunstar was the winged unicorn bonded to the lead princess. Bafflingly, suffered from All of the Other Reindeer among other unicorns, until Starla reassured her that her wings were beautiful.
- Eunice from Dragon Tales.
- Segment 2 ("Chuck the Nice Pencil-Selling Guy") of episode 7 of season 1 of WordGirl had Becky and her friend Violet come up with a new mythical animal, which turned out to be a winged unicorn. They couldn't decide whether it should be called either a "Unisus" or a "Pegacorn", so they decided to call it a "Pegasussicorn" instead.
- In Winx Club Peg, Bloom's horse in Magical Adventure, turns into one when he eats some leaves from the new Tree of Life.
- On Arthur, D.W. enjoys a My Little Phony show called My Fluffy Unicorn that features winged unicorns. Additionally, in Arthur's Perfect Christmas, she decorated the Read family Christmas tree with winged unicorn ornaments and troll dolls.