open/close all folders
- A Toyota commercial in 2014 featured a huge pink plush winged unicorn. It was so huge that it had to be strapped onto the roof of the car.
This is Lady. She's a unicorn... and a Pegasus.
Anime & Manga
- Unimon of Digimon Adventure.
- Pegasus a.k.a. Helios in Sailor Moon is winged, of course, but is also a unicorn as well.
- The title character of Unico could use his magic to give himself wings in dire situations. He developed little bug wings and a slightly longer horn in sort-of bad situations, and became a full-grown silver unipegasus for those really bad occasions. Like dealing with a giant embodiment of evil.
- Opal of Jewelpet.
- The Janus Unicorn of Toriko is this with some leonine features. It is implied that they are very powerful. In the manga one individual has a extra pair of legs, making it a mix between a pegacorn and Sleipnir of Norse Mythology.
- At one point in the early 2000s, Hello Kitty was depicted to be in the presence of various winged unicorns.
- When Wally in Dilbert joins the "1% club," he gets the key from a tiny flying unicorn.
- Most of the characters from My Little Unicorn.
- "Unipegs" are featured in My Inner Life.
- Pretty much any My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fanfic will naturally include these.
- Some My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fics explore the theme of alicorn ascension, comparing it to the quest for godhood or eternal life. For example, Whispers introduces a means of artificially creating an alicorn through the power of science, via combining the racial abilities of pegasi, earth ponies and unicorns. This contrasts with Twilight Sparkle's more "natural" ascension.
- Fallout: Equestria has artificially-created Alicorns, although they are not true deific Alicorns like Celestia and Luna, instead being mere imitations.
- Rites of Ascension, written without much reference to season 3, even considers winged unicorns separate from alicorns.
- And another 'winged unicorn, not alicorn' example: The Moonstone Cup has Twilight doing this for most of the tournament, using the same spell she used for Rarity in 'Sonic Rainboom'.
- In From Here to Eternity, Discord's mother looks like one, just with the wings of a dragon. However, she's not a pony, she's just a spirit that resembles one.
- Harmony Theory makes a distinction between alicorns, which have divine powers and immortality, and mere winged unicorns which have similar power levels to unicorns and pegasi.
- In The Bridge, several Kaiju get sent to Equestria and transformed into native species. Destroyah strongly resembles an alicorn. According to Word of God, she was turned into a pegasus, but a Partial Transformation meant she kept her horn from her original form. She cannot perform magic with her horn, but can ignite a Laser Blade from it as she already had that ability.
Films — Live-Action
- In Theirs Is The Glory, the emblem of the 1st Airborne Division features Pegasus with a horn.
- Gaudior from A Swiftly Tilting Planet.
- Imwraith-Nimphais, the red star of war, from The Fionavar Tapestry.
- Piers Anthony and Julie Brady's Dream A Little Dream is a Fantasy Kitchen Sink where the two super-powerful "creators" of the magical world are bonded to a winged unicorn (referred to in the novel as a "unisus"), Esprit. The perfect prince, Michael, also has a winged unicorn stallion, Heat.
- Also by Piers Anthony, Demons Don't Dream has a winged unicorn, referred to as an alicorn. It's claimed that alicorns are the very rare offspring of a unicorn and a griffin.
- One of Norton's quests in Bearing an Hourglass is to free an alicorn from an evil sorceress.
- Rare evil (and anthropomorphic) example: The Polluticorn from Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.
- A song from the Rhapsody of Fire is titled "The Last Winged Unicorn"
- Another song called "The Last Unicorn" is about a unicorn that grows wings in order to survive The Great Flood.
- While it has not appeared in any songs yet, fans of Taylor Swift tend to like pegacorns since she mentioned one in the behind-the-scenes video for "White Horse." And she dressed up as one for Halloween and spent the entire day doing interviews in costume.
- Dungeons & Dragons calls them alicorns.
- In Warhammer Fantasy, the carnivorous Black Pegasus invokes a more malevolent take on this trope, as it has a unicorn-like horn (or sometimes more than that), which it uses to gore and impale prey, and bat-like wings.
- Yu-Gi-Oh! has Crystal Beast Sapphire Pegasus.
- In the Fire Emblem series, Falcoknights ride what appear to be winged unicorns, although the horn could conceivably be part of the pegasis' armor.
- Although the horse itself is never actually seen, the first Baten Kaitos game has a Magnus card called Pegasus Horn.
- The Uniceros in Tales of the Abyss.
- In the parody Flash game Linear RPG, the mysterious Tseret Nievol has a pet pegacorn, supposedly so awesome that Chuck Norris has eight of them.
- Quite a few varieties of Winged Unicorn are offered as limited-edition or bonus items in Farmville. Some of them ramp up the Glurge with butterfly wings.
- Princess Sophia befriends one of these in the Awakening series, who then gives her a ride to the Skyward Kingdom.
- In keeping with the series tendency for bizarre creature designs, Shin Megami Tensei IV's take on the Centaur includes a pair of winged unicorns on its shoulders.
- The prologue of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ends with a sequence where Big Boss flees from the hospital on horseback, only to have a demonic entity known as the Man On Fire pursue him while riding a flaming pegasus with a unicorn horn.
- The Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures has one as the boss of Happy Fun Candy Time.
- Charger Escape by Pastel Games has you transform a regular horse into a unicorn into a winged unicorn.
- Imagia 3: The Quarry has a winged unicorn missing both its wings and horn, requiring you to solve a set of puzzles in order to give them back to it.
- In Ace Attorney Investigations 2, there's a statue of a winged unicorn on top of the PIC's roof. It's titled "Contradiction", since being either a unicorn or the mythical Pegasus is mutually exclusive. Since the fan translation of the game was made during a period between 2013 and 2015, with all of the applicants being denizens of the internet, it was almost guaranteed that at least one of them would have been a fan of that show, and someone wasted no time coming up with a reference.
My Little Pony
- In the My Little Pony franchise, these were almost unheard of until Generation 4, the first generation to feature permanently winged unicorns.
- In My Little Pony: Escape from Catrina, a Blooper causes pegasus Baby Surprise to have a horn for a couple of shots during the song "Let's Not Take A Nap".
- The My Little Pony Tales episode "Up, Up and Away" features the four Glow 'n Show Ponies with wings, despite only Starglow being a pegasus in the toy line. Dazzleglow, a unicorn in the toy line, has both wings and a horn here.
- Four Generation 2 unicorns came with clip-on wings: Copper Glow, Silver Glow, Golden Glow, and Diamond Glow.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic dodged the question of what this type of pony is called (referring to them merely as unicorns in the Season 1 premiere episode "Friendship is Magic, part 1" and the Season 2 episode "A Canterlot Wedding - Part 1") until Season 3, which introduces the term "Alicorn" (also used by some of the show's staff and by Mighty Fine's online store WeLoveFine) in the episode "Magic Duel" and confirms it to be the in-show term for this type of pony in the Season Finale episode "Magical Mystery Cure" (outside of the show, Hasbro's My Little Pony Facebook page has used the term "Pegasus unicorn" in one post, while the German and Swiss Nickelodeon and German Nick Jr. websites have used the German term "fliegendes Einhorn"). The Tie-In Novel Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell establishes that an Alicorn is "a special breed of pony", "able to harness the magical powers of the Unicorns, the flight abilities of the Pegasi, and the strength of a good, true heart of an Earth Pony." Trading cards previously listed them as being Pegasi and unicorns but not Earth ponies, and have since listed them as being all three. The fandom generally both dislikes and discourages the use of Alicorn Original Characters in Fan Fiction because they tend to end up being overpowered God-Mode Sues.
- Princesses Celestia and Luna appear to be out-and-out Physical Godesses and the twin deities of the world, being able to live thousands of years and having immense magical power — Princess Celestia raises the sun every day, and Princess Luna raises the moon every night.
- Celestia's niece Princess Cadance is another Alicorn princess, although she doesn't seem to have anywhere near the same level of power as Celestia and Luna. Possibly signifying this, she also lacks their floating, insubstantial, magical-looking manesnote . We see in the third season premiere episodes "The Crystal Empire - Part 1" and "The Crystal Empire - Part 2" that she does have extremely powerful magic based on The Power of Love, but she can't maintain it to the degree of her aunts. Though she's also at least a thousand years younger than they are. The Tie-In Novel Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell reveals that she gained Alicornhood similarly to Twilight. She was a Pegasus who was given a horn by Celestia and adopted as a niece. The showrunner recently confirmed this as canon.
- The show's main protagonist Twilight Sparkle became another Alicorn princess in the above-mentioned third Season Finale episode "Magical Mystery Cure", with a toyline centered around her coronation. This was... controversial, to put it mildly. However, the fandom nearly doubled in size after that episode, and most fans got over it by season 4. Fimfiction.Net finally removed the separate Twilicorn character tag, the last vestige of the controversy, in December 2014.
- The Season 6 premiere features the birth of the fifth alicorn, Princess Flurry Heart, the daughter of Cadance and Twilight's brother Shining Armor. She's specifically noted to be the first pony in the history of Equestria to be born as an alicorn, instead of ascending at a later date.
- In "Hearts and Hooves Day", an Alicorn princess is told of and shown in a book. The story doesn't really fit with her being any of the ones established in the show.
- In "Stranger Than Fan Fiction", one of the trapped doors in the ancient temple (the correct one, incidentally) is decorated with the picture of an alicorn, unlike the others, which have earth ponies, unicorns and pegasi on them.
- In "The Mysterious Mare Do Well", the eponymous heroine appears to be one. This turns out to be because she had a Collective Identity which included unicorn Twilight Sparkle and Pegasus Fluttershy, with Mare Do Well's Badass Cape and Nice Hat hiding the fact that she never had wings and a horn at the same time.
- Unicorn Rarity gains butterfly-like wings in "Sonic Rainboom" via a temporary magic spell, in the toy Glimmer Wings Rarity via an Imagine Spot, and in the licensed merchandise Rarity Fabulous Bag and Flight◊ of the◊ Ponies. The spell or a similar one is used in Gameloft's My Little Pony Licensed Game if the player plays a flying minigame as any unicorn (or earth pony or zebra).
- The changelings are bug monster ponies with their own kind of wings and horns, obviously not looking a lot like any traditional unicorn.
- In the episode "Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?" Big Macintosh becomes an alicorn in a dream.
- The So Soft Newborn branch of the toyline features an Alicorn called Princess Skyla; since she hasn't appeared elsewhere, her present-day age is unknown. Fanon likes her as the daughter of Cadence and Shining Armor. She's also the final boss in the fangame Twilight Wing, appearing as a non-animated picture of the toy.
- In one of Adventures in Ponyville's minigames, Twilight Sparkle uses magic to give the player's pony (as well as an Earth pony friend of that pony's) temporary pegasus wings. If the player's pony is a unicorn, she'll be one of these until the minigame is over.
- One of the French magazine stories introduces Canon Foreigner Léon, Princess Celestia's 4-year-old cousin.
- Exclusive to the licensed merchandise:
- the Dr. Hooves Line shirt, Dr. Hooves shirt and iOS case, Hooves Scribble shirt, and Dr Hooves shirt feature a pair of alicorns (Captain Ersatzes of Weeping Angels)
- the formerly available Grown Up Ponies◊ art print depicts Pegasi Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy with unicorn horns
- the formerly◊ available◊ Engineered◊ Alicorn◊ shirt◊ and the Steampunk Trixie men's shirt respectively depict unicorns Twilight Sparkle with steampunk wings
- the formerly available All Dem Ponies◊ men's shirt features six Alicorns (unofficially named Chaos, Terra, Blood Diamond, Aurora, Morning Star, and Starfyre)
- the◊ formerly◊ available◊ Iconic◊ Print◊ shirt◊ features a Creator Cameo of producer Lauren Faust's pony-self
- the We're All Doomed men's shirt depicts Pegasus Derpy Hooves with a unicorn horn.
- In the Virtual Paper Doll Web Games The Fabulous Ponymaker and Rarity's Bridal Boutique, the ponies can be these if they're designed that way by the player.◊
- Gameloft's My Little Pony Licensed Game seemingly depicted unicorn Fleur Dis Lee with Pegasus wings until an update, which revealed this previous version to have been a Changeling. Outside of the game itself, a model sheet that they sketched for the game depicts unicorn Sweetie Belle with Pegasus wings.
- Since one of the minigames involves flying, all other ponies gain the butterfly wings given to Rarity in one episode of the show for it.
- A couple of the show's Bloopers have made ordinary ponies into these: three stallions in the Canterlot Royal Guard during a Flashback from the episode "A Canterlot Wedding - Part 1" and a unicorn filly in Magic Kindergarten during an Imagine Spot from the episode "Lesson Zero". Rarity also gained wings◊ in an animation error in "Pinkie Pride".
- A few of the many suspected factory reject and/or prototype toys are these: of unicorn Rarity, of toy-exclusive Pegasus Flitterheart, and a Glimmer Wings mashup of unicorn sisters Rarity and Sweetie Belle.
- The toyline now features Princess Sterling and Princess Gold Lily.
- While Alicorns are frowned upon even as just a "ponyfied" representation of fans or show staffers, Lauren Faust is universally accepted as the exception, her ponysona Fausticorn even being considered to be the mother of Celestia and Luna or a god. Ditto for Bonnie Zacherle, original creator of My Pretty Pony and My Little Pony, whose fan-made ponysona Bonniecorn is sometimes even considered to be Fausticorn's mother or at minimum her teacher.
- During the "Reflections" arc in the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic (IDW) comic book line, The Great And Powerful Trixie is shown to have become an alicorn princess, as well as a paragon of humility. Admittedly, it's a Mirror Universe.
- She-Ra: Princess of Power: She-Ra had Swift Wind, which despite having wings was simply referred to as a Unicorn. In one episode of the show, she and Swift Wind discovered "Unicorn Island" which is an entire island populated by winged Unicorns.
- Princess Gwenevere and the Jewel Riders: Sunstar was the winged unicorn bonded to the lead princess. Bafflingly, suffered from All of the Other Reindeer among other unicorns, until Starla reassured her that her wings were beautiful.
- Eunice from Dragon Tales.
- Segment 2 ("Chuck the Nice Pencil-Selling Guy") of episode 7 of season 1 of WordGirl had Becky and her friend Violet come up with a new mythical animal, which turned out to be a winged unicorn. They couldn't decide whether it should be called either a "Unisus" or a "Pegacorn", so they decided to call it a "Pegasussicorn" instead.
- In Winx Club Peg, Bloom's horse in Magical Adventure, turns into one when he eats some leaves from the new Tree of Life.
- On Arthur, D.W. enjoys a My Little Phony show called My Fluffy Unicorn that features winged unicorns and has a plushie of the main character. Additionally, in Arthur's Perfect Christmas, she decorated the Read family Christmas tree with winged unicorn ornaments and troll dolls.
- Mia and Me has Onchao, Mia's winged unicorn friend who is born a few episodes into the first season. Onchao's father, Ono, is also one.
- Shimmer and Shine has the Zahramay Zoomicorns, who are winged unicorns, and can be very fast and agile, to the point the genies have a pass time called the "Zoomicorn Toss" where they try to get as many rings on the Zoomicorn's horn before time runs out. Plus, the genies care for the Zoomicorns very much, as shown when Shine is able to calm the one from their game down when she is frightened by Zeta.