A variety of crossover
fic where the characters of one or more franchises replace the established characters in yet another franchise. Usually written for the comedic value of the resulting Fish out of Water
juxtaposition, although the odd serious/dramatic effort is seen, too.
In recent years, the term has also started to be applied to crossover
fics where the metaphysics and backstories of the universes have been fused
so they have always existed as part of the same setting. As a result, rather than the characters being simply swapped, the backstories and worlds of both franchises are altered so they can exist together. For example, a villain from one show might be 'revealed' to have been part of a conspiracy with similar goals from the other show, thus linking the two and leaving the protagonists likely to come into contact as they each fight against the conspiracy.
Sometimes overlaps with Meta Fic
. Film Fic
is a subtrope
. Compare the more typical Intercontinuity Crossover
. Has no relation whatsoever to Fusion Dance
or that nuclear stuff going on in the Sun's core or a custom DeLorean
- And don't forget
"Do you want the cheesy spoo?"
- One of Black Lagoon's parody covers features Revy and Balalaika in a Mari-mite-like setting.
- RPG.net gives us lots of crossovers: One version of TriCalvin, Kingdom Karts. Warhammer 40,000 tends to be mixed more often than others, so there are Warhammer 40chibi, three-in-one "In the grim future of Hello Vader..." and even a picture of Tux in WH40K + Bunnies & Burrows + BESM and "My Little Heretic◊" pony. But In the grim future of Hello Kitty there is only SAN loss.
- There is a Death Note doujinshi which parodies Onegai My Melody. It's called (obviously) Onegai! Near Mellody (yes, Near plays Kuromi and Mello plays My Melody).
- Supah Nario Bros is Naruto if all the characters were mixed with Super Mario Bros. characters (Naruto becomes Nario, Sasuke becomes Princess Toadsuke, Lee becomes Leegi and so on).
- What really happened to... ...Ahsoka Tano before order 66.Those poor Daleks...
- Advent Cirno, by the doujin circle One Night Stand, is an ongoing Touhou take on Final Fantasy VII, with everybody's favorite Baka standing in for Cloud and fighting monsters alongside a Nakama composed of Hong Meiling, and Reisen and Tewi Inaba, along with some other familiar Touhou faces.
- There's also 30 by Wi-Z GARAGE, which takes the plot of Mountain of Faith and combines it with 300, with awesome results.
- Obscure doujinshi series Mythic Quest has a whole non-canonical edition crossing over with .hack, which involves Anaya as Emma Weilant and John as Harald Hoerwick, along with other omakes of Balmung as their son and .hacks Aura as their daughter. (What with them having a canonical AI-daughter, it's not a hard stretch to make. Her also being named Aura means the author just wasn't trying.)
- xkcd has these two (see the Alt Text). And this.
- El Goonish Shive Q&A #5 has Doctor Who-lmes (EXTRAPOLATE!)
- The Pokémon fanfic Brave New World is basically Characters from the anime in a Darker and Edgier version of the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon world (with a dash of Redwall) starring in a Darker and Edgier version of Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door.
- The Legend of Eevee: Pokéflute of Time is exactly what it sounds like: Ocarina of Time with Pokémon. And copious amounts of Rule of Funny.
- There was a rather terrifying and dark doujinshi based around fusing the concepts of Azumanga Daioh and Drifting Classroom. The results (rape, trauma, Osaka becoming a serial killer) made for a disturbing, yet oddly compelling read.
- The crossover fanfic A Dark Knight Over Sin City explores the concept of Batman and his rogues in Sin City.
- Just An Unorthodox Thief is a Fate/Zero and Lupin III Fusion Fic. Lupin the Third in this fic was a well-known thief in the Nasuverse and all his exploits are well known and documented. He also stole several historical artifacts for Mages hoping to get into the Holy Grail War, including Hassan's mask. Thus leading to him being summoned as the Servant Assassin by Kirei.
- Renegade takes the Mass Effect setting and replaces Systems Alliance Earth with Tiberium Earth. Changes abound, with a heavily militarized humanity who doesn't align with the Citadel, the Brotherhood of Nod operating in the background, and apparently Garrus being a Spectre, Nihlus surviving Eden Prime, and Kaidan as a Tiberium mutant.
- This has actually become a somewhat popular theme to do in Mass Effect fandom: how would another faction, such as the UNSC from Halo, or the United Federation Of Planets handle being put into the place of the Systems Alliance?
- In the case of the former, there's The Last Spartan, in which Master Chief is thawed out 131 years after the events of Halo 3 to find the UNSC has been renamed the System Alliance due to a serious reorganization overhaul and has thus joined the Citadel. The lynchpin of this canon fusion is The Chief functionally filling the role of Commander Shepard.
- The "Elementary, My Dear Natsuki" series has Mai Hime characters taking the place of Sherlock Holmes regulars.
- Head Trip presents: Broke-batman-tain.
- Ascension is essentially Neon Genesis Evangelion in the Half-Life setting with copious amounts of Space Opera thrown into the mix along with a Kamina-esque Kaworu switching places with Shinji in order of appearance.
- JohnSu on deviantART gave us Desu Note.
- This is rather popular with the Homestuck fandom, given the nature of its primary plot element.
- This video will provably (if hadn't done yet) spawn one or two fanfics mixing A Space Odyssey and Vocaloid
- Hijinks Ensue came up with "Care Ewoks vs. Death Star" theory as the answer to No Endor Holocaust debates.
- Pinocchio, Vampire Slayer.
- Fics that involve the concept of daemons from His Dark Materials translated into other continuities are surprisingly common.
- This — "basically, Skynet meets The Brave Little Toaster."
- Feli Summons Painis Cupcake.
- Fallout: Equestria presents an alternate future of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic mixed with Fallout, with a bit of 1984 thrown in for good measure.
- This is pretty common in Guyver fanfics. Which amounts to "_____ becomes The Guyver." There have been fan fics where the likes of Misato Katsuragi, Lucy, and yes, Ranma, have become hosts to The Guyver unit.
- Sucker Punch cast with human versions of The Penguins of Madagascar: Omega Boom.
- Sinfest proposes three slasher comics (as in, Slasher Movie + Comic, not slashfic).
- Nerf NOW!! had Team Fortress 2 + Pokémon arc, the one about Blue Engie's niece. "P.S.: Don't let her have a pet."
- Decks Fall Everyone Dies has the characters of Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series in the general plot from Moulin Rouge!.
- Mini Mythos by Kenneth Hite, a series of books that fuse the Cthulhu Mythos with popular kiddies' picture books. Where the Deep Ones Are, The Antarctic Express, and Clifford the Big Red God.
- This story is a nice blend between the Halo and Mass Effect universe, staring Master Chief as Commander Shepard.
- Anzai's School for Gifted Basketball Players: So what would happen if all Slam Dunk characters were mutants and joined their respective sides? They'd still play basketball. This apears to be either a tongue-in-cheek parody of this genre, or perhaps simply just a Crack Fic. Nonetheless, the characterizations are actually quite spot on while managing to incorporate each mutant's quirks.
- An official one: the DC Elseworlds tale Supermans Metropolis. Superman and his supporting cast in the setting of Metropolis.
- "It's Five By Five" is a crossover of Dragon Age II with Angel. It features Anders/Vengeance as Angel/Angelus, Sebastian as Holtz, Female!Hawke as Buffy, Alistair as the Mayor of Sunnydale (for some inexplicable reason), Carver as a vampire...
- Lantern Prime has Optimus Prime as the indirect source of the Manhunter robots and the first Green Lantern.
- An interesting example is Coming Forward, a Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door fic by krisetchers. The author got a few chapters in when he realized, purely by coincidence, that his fic had the exact same plot as Final Destination. He decided that the only proper thing to do was to retroactively make it a Fusion Fic, even though the fic is in fact a sequel to another fic which has nothing to do with Final Destination. Unfortunately, this means that some really early plot points are forgotten and never mentioned again.
- There is an adaptation of the Body Horror movie The Thing (1982) with the characters of the Claymation childrens show Pingu. It is as insane and hilarious as it sounds.
- There's the The Avengers fic The Snow Queen By Elspethdixon, which has seven chapters: A mirror of steel, A Soldier and a Smith, Of the Library At the Young Woman's Who Understood Witchcraft, The Prince and the Princess, The Little Robber Boy, The Far North, and Who the Soldier Met There, and Of the Metal Woman's Palace and What Happened Afterward. It's basically the Hans Christian Anderson story told with Captain America as Gerda, Iron Man as Kay, and various Avengers, Avengers villains, and other superheroes as all the supporting characters (several of whom don't appear in the original story, but fit perfectly into the original story's various settings). It's written in a very authentic, fairy-tale-ish style similar to Anderson's, and it's actually quite a serious and angsty story, even though it's crammed full of delightful in-jokes, and Avengers fans will take great delight in recognizing which Marvel characters the usually vaguely described and nameless or ambiguously-named supporting characters are supposed to be (hint: the great number of insect- and animal-based codenames given to Marvel superheroes fits this story very well).
- Pony Fantasy VI is a playable romhack of Final Fantasy VI with the cast of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic replacing the game's heroes.
- Pony Poki Panic is a romhack of Super Mario Bros. 2 (yes, SMB2, not Doki Doki Panic, despite the name) with ponies slapped into it. So for instance, Mario is Twilight Sparkle and Princess Peach is Princess Luna. Which makes it even more funny when you consider who Wart is now.
- Super Fluttershy Land 2. Exactly What It Says on the Tin.
- The Terrible Crossover Fan Fiction Generator provides many ludicrous possibilities.
Your challenge is to write crossover fanfiction combining Lizzie McGuire and Around the World in 80 Days. The story should use losing one's virginity as a plot device!
- There's at least one fanfic out there that replaces the entire cast of Ai Yori Aoshi with Naruto characters.
- The fanart by Kate Kryllion — "Unmentionables Assemble" Ankh-Morpork City Watch + The Avengers; and Tortallans Assemble — Tortall Universe + The Avengers.
- The Marvel Comics miniseries X-Men Fairy Tales, Spider-Man Fairy Tales and Avengers Fairy Tales are sometimes this and sometimes In The Style Of, depending on whether they're about casting the Marvel characters in an existing story (Cyclops as Momotarō! Spidey as Anansi! Captain America as Peter Pan!) or retelling a Marvel Universe story in a fairy tale manner.
- How Super Mario Should Have Ended from How It Should Have Ended.
Mario: (slams his head into Companion Cube repeatedly)
GLaDOS: No. Stop. That's not how you use that.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles x Dwarf Fortress. Just one couplet — "Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles..."
- Ladies and gentlemen, this Evangelion AMV starring Yu-Gi-Oh! characters. note It actually works surprisingly well.
- First there was Sonichu, a fusion of Sonic the Hedgehog and Pokemon; then there was Asperchu, a fusion of Sonichu and its creator, as well as anything else the artist decides to throw in.
- Disney's Tangled fused with The Hunchback of Notre Dame and made Heaven's Light and Tangled fused with The Princess Bride made The Tangled Princess Bride
- The Storytime! subsubseries of This Time Round fic, in which Doctor Who characters find themselves unwillingly taking roles in fairy tales or classic literature for the entertainment of the Doctor Who Babies at the Look Who's Talking daycare centre.
- Some characters from other works replace a few of the characters in the original JoJo's Bizarre Adventure canon in Vaguely Recalling Jo Jo.
- Magician's Red is replaced Blaziken and GEB happens to be its weakness because GEB is a Water-type.
- Negi Springfield replaced Ebony Devil.
- Hoshi is the mugger who gets to be on the receiving end of Rubber Soul's coconut backbreaker.
- Bridget replaces Nena and Roger the Teddy Bear is her stand, Empress.
- Captain Falcon replaces ZZ and compliments Kakyoin for doing a Boost Fire with a modern car.
- Blossom replaces High Priestess and she effortlessly beats up Jotaro's group, at first.
- Khnum is now Oingo's belt buckle, and to use its powers, Oingo yells a transformation phase.
- Makoto Shishio replaces Chaka.
- The Halloween Hack replaces Ness with the protagonist of Brandish, Varik. In-universe, some people even think Varik is Ness.