is an Action RPG
series by Falcom
notable for having a rotatable "camera" despite having entirely 2-D gameplay, thus allowing the player to do things like circle-strafing, hit-and-run attacks, and other typically-3-D techniques. Only the very first game for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System
was ever released in other countries, and with great alterations at that. An overview of the game series can be found here
Thus far, there have been four main games in the series:
- Brandish & Brandish: The Dark Revenant: Ares once killed a wizard, so the wizard's apprentice, Dela Delon, seeks revenge. While battling, one of Dela Delon's spells breaks open the ground, sending them both into a deep labyrinth. Now, Ares must figure out a way to escape. This game was remade for the PSP as Brandish: The Dark Revenant and retains the same rotatable camera system.
- Brandish 2: The Planet Buster
- Brandish 3: Spirit of Balcan
- Brandish 4 & Brandish VT: Fata Morgana Templum: No relation to the previous games
The series provides examples of the following:
- Always over the Shoulder: And with sprite-based graphics, no less! The trick was loading four versions of each map that switched as you "turned".
- Amazonian Beauty: Umber.
- Ascended Extra: Dela Delon becomes playable in The Dark Revenant and the third game. Similarly, Umber and Jinza, who were NPCs in the second game, become playable characters in the third game.
- Badass Normal: Ares.
- Bag of Spilling: Applies to Ares at the beginning of each game. Justified in the second game where Ares gets beaten up and loses the Planet Buster at the beginning of the game.
- Beam Spam: God Bistall's second form in The Dark Revenant uses this.
- Bifauxnen: Mauve in Brandish VT is a mild example.
- Breakable Weapons: Combined with a limited inventory.
- Breakout Character: Dela Delon has become the signature character of the series and features on many front covers, despite only being playable in Brandish 3 and a secret mode of The Dark Revenant.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass and Genius Bruiser: Garahad in Brandish VT.
- Determinator: Ares.
- Disappears into Light: Happens to God Bistall in The Dark Revenant.
- Everything Trying to Kill You
- A God Am I: The motivation of most villains in the series.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: Always an option.
- Heroic Mime: Ares.
- Hot Witch and Black Mage: Dela Delon.
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Ninja: One of the bosses in the first game is a group of ninja. One of the playable characters in the third game is a ninja master.
- Karma Meter: Present in Brandish VT where every character except Mermelada and Garahad will get different endings depending on his or her karma at the end.
- Luckily My Shield Will Protect Me: Ares.
- Magic Knight: Ares.
- Ms. Fanservice: Again, Dela Delon.
- One-Winged Angel: The final bosses in every installment except Brandish I go through this.
- Plucky Comic Relief: Dela Delon's role in the first and second games is to generally try to get in Ares' way and accidentally trigger a trap, thereby hinting the player how to avoid it. Garahad in Brandish VT fulfills the same role.
- Pit Trap: Lots, to the point where one expendable item is dedicated solely to finding them.
- Regenerating Mana
- The Rival: Dela Delon to Ares.
- Sitting Sexy on a Piano: Dela Delon in the cover art for the ''Brandish Piano Collection''◊
- Squishy Wizard: Dela Delon in The Dark Revenant.
- Stripperiffic: Dela Delon and Umbar.
- Sword of Plot Advancement: The sword Planet Buster that Ares gains at the end of the first game. It leads to the plot of the second game where an evil king tries to become a godlike being using the power of the sword.
- Wallet of Holding
- Whip It Good: Dee in Brandish VT.