is a Japanese online community for artists, not unlike the Western world's deviantART
. Launched in September 2007. Pixiv aims to provide a place for artists to exhibit their illustrations and get feedback via a rating system and user comments. Works are organized in an extensive tag structure which forms the backbone of the website. However, tagging is notoriously haphazard on Pixiv (quite unlike the Image Booru
sites, where standardized tagging tends to be enforced by the moderators), so finding images often relies on trial and error (and knowing every possible way the name in question can be written in kanji, katakana and/or hiragana
, including any possible abbreviations
, as well as English spellings that may be in common usage in Japan
, and even mixes of English and Japanese text
). One main reason for this problem is that Pixiv only allows ten tags, including the artist's own, so artists usually are either clever (combining multiple tags into one since the search goes for all matches or making very funny, sometimes nonsensical ones
) or what could be described as "narcisstic
" (anyone can edit tags, but one
tag implies the artist wants others/watchers to add them, and this is really bad practice), the latter being very
Registration is required to view the majority of contents. Anything Not Safe for Work
(which is tagged R-18 and its sister tags) is hidden by default on all accounts and permanently enabled for those with accessing the website in general, but an age confirmation is barely there. Even with this, Values Dissonance
In case that doesn't sound like anything special to you, consider that the majority of Anime
fan arts in the 'boorus
and the 'chans
are taken from Pixiv, most of the time without permission from the artists. It's also an easy way to gauge a work's popularity in Japan; for instance, Touhou
, Hatsune Miku
, Inazuma Eleven
and Fire Emblem are all on the first page of tags.
Originally Pixiv was intended exclusively for Japanese use, requiring non-speakers to make use of various guides to register. It is now configured to allow registrations in the English, Spanish, French, Russian, Thai, and Chinese languages, as well as registering via a Facebook
account, though tags and image descriptions are still almost always in Japanese.
In June 2014, Pixiv implemented the ability to upload animations with a new function called Ugoira
If you're using Firefox with the Greasemonkey extension, the Pixiv Translation Plus
script may be helpful.
Compare Nico Nico Douga
Oh and by the way, if you find relevant pictures, consider visiting the Image Links Wiki
All links below should be assumed NSFW
, just to be safe.
Random works tags, with characters where available:
- A Certain Magical Index: Here.
- Animal Crossing: Here.
- AIR: Here.
- Angel Beats!: Here.
- ARIA: Here.
- Arcana Heart: Here.
- Armored Core: Here.
- Axis Powers Hetalia: Here. (Over 350,000 images.)
- Azumanga Daioh: Here.
- Bakuman。: Here.
- Black★Rock Shooter: Here.
- BlazBlue: Here.
- Bleach: Here and here.
- Blue Exorcist: Here.
- Breath of Fire: Here.
- Cardcaptor Sakura: Here.
- Cave Story: Here.
- Chargeman Ken: Here are the pictures inspired by the So Bad, It's Good artwork of this series.
- Chrono Trigger: Here.
- Code Geass: Here.
- Danball Senki: Here.
- Dennou Coil: Here.
- Digimon: Here.
- Disgaea: Here.
- Dissidia: Final Fantasy: Here.
- Doraemon: Here.
- Dragon Ball: Here.
- Dragon Quest: Here and here and here.
- Durarara!!: Here.
- EarthBound/MOTHER2: Here and Here
- El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron: Here. (Yea, it's ridiculously popular there. Perhaps something about Clothing Damage that becomes Shirtless Scene...)
- Fairy Tail: Here
- Fallout series: Here.
- Final Fantasy: here and here.
- Fire Emblem: Here and here.
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Here.
- Fushigiboshi no Futago Hime: Here.
- Gintama: Here.
- God of War: Here.
- Guilty Gear: Here.
- Gundam: Here.
- Hamtaro: Here.
- Happy Tree Friends: Here. Didn't expect that, huh? Also, for whatever reason, the Anthropomorphic Personification of those... poor critters are common, with more than thirty thousands illustrations total.
- Harry Potter: Here.
- Hidamari Sketch: Here.
- Higurashi: When They Cry: Here.
- Homestuck: Here and here.
- How to Train Your Dragon: Here.
- Hunter × Hunter: Here.
- The Idolmaster: Here.
- Inazuma Eleven: Here. (Over 150,000 images.) And some more here.
- Inazuma Eleven GO has a separate tag here with over 50,000 images. The tag for Chrono Stone can be found here
- Kirino Ranmaru: Here.
- Kariya Masaki: Here.
- Matsukaze Tenma: Here.
- And there's even yet another separate tag for "Inazuma Eleven [Yaoi] ".
- Fubuki Shirou: Here and here.
- Kiyama Hiroto: Here.
- Kazemaru Ichirouta: Here.
- Endou Mamoru: Here.
- Sakuma Jirou: Here.
- Kidou Yuuto: Here.
- Fudou Akio: Here.
- Irisu Syndrome: Here. There are high risks of spoilers if you have not played the game yet.
- Kamen Rider: Here.
- Kannagi: Here.
- Kantai Collection: Here and here.
- Katekyo Hitman Reborn!: Here.
- K-On!: Here.
- Kirby: Here.
- Legend of Galactic Heroes: Here
- The Legend of Zelda: Here.
- Little Busters!: Here.
- Love Plus: Here.
- Lucky Star: Here.
- Mabinogi Fantasy Life: Here.
- Macross: Here.
- Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha: Here.
- Magic: The Gathering: here.
- Maria-sama Ga Miteru: Here.
- Metroid: Here.
- Monster Hunter: Here.
- Nabari No Ou: Here.
- Naruto: Here and here.
- Neon Genesis Evangelion: Here.
- Nichijou: Here.
- Ojamajo Doremi: Here.
- Ōkami: Here.
- One Piece: Here and .
- Pacific Rim: Here.
- Pandora Hearts: Here.
- Pangya: Here.
- Pani Poni Dash!: Here.
- Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt: Here.
- Peanuts: Here.
- Persona3: Here and the PSP version here.
- Persona 4: Here.
- Pokémon: Here. (About 250,000 images.)
- Pikachu has his own tag here.
- Pop N Music: Here and here.
- The Prince of Tennis: Here.
- Portal/Portal2: Here, Here.
- Pretty Cure: Here.
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Here.
- Queen's Blade: Here.
- Ragnarok Online: Here.
- Rockman/Mega Man: Here.
- Rozen Maiden: Here.
- Saki: Here.
- Sakura Wars: Here.
- Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei: Here.
- Sailor Moon: Here.
- World of Mana: here for the series in general.
- Sengoku Basara: Here.
- Skullgirls: Here.
- Sherlock Holmes: Here. With abundant amount of Ho Yay.
- Sonic the Hedgehog: Here.
- South Park: Here. Kenny and co are suddenly Bishounen.
- Space Invaders: Here.
- Strike Witches: Here.
- Studio Ghibli works: Here.
- Summer Wars: Here.
- Super Mario Bros.: Here.
- Super Smash Bros.: Here.
- Tales Series: Here.
- Tantei Opera Milky Holmes: Here.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Here. Didn't expect that, huh?
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Here.
- Haruhi Suzumiya: Here.
- Tiger & Bunny: Here.
- Touhou: Here. (Over 1,500,000 images, the single most popular tag on Pixiv.)
- Toward the Terra: Here
- Transformers: Here.
- Tsukihime: Here.
- Unlimited Saga: here.
- Usavich: Here.
- Vision of Escaflowne: here and here.
- Vocaloid: Here. (Over 260,000 images.)
- Mandatory Warhammer 40,000 example: Here.
- Yu-Gi-Oh!: Here.
- Yume Nikki: Here.
Tags dedicated to particular tropes:
- Animal Ears: Here.
- Crossdresser/"Trap": Here. Or Here.
- Cute Little Fangs: Here.
- Digital Avatar: The majority of users (who aren't Lurkers) have one themselves, but a phenomenon in Pixiv is creation of Digital Avatar of internet celebrities.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar or Refuge in Audacity: Here as the English equivalent "R-17.9". The rating system is based on the age of the person, such as "R-18" means adults only, even if they have censors. "R-17.9" is a Running Gag in which the image is almost but not quite risque enough to be labeled as such because they have, for example, convenient censors.
- Fantasy: Here.
- Furry Comic: Either "BEAST" tag (Here) or "Therianthrope" tag (Here).
- On that note, the "Animal" tag (Here) excludes Furries. Generally.
- Glasses Girl: Here.
- Gorn: Tagged with "R-18G", as opposed to "R-18" which is due to sex: Here. You've been warned.
- Halloween Cosplay: Here.
- High School AU: Here.
- Hime Cut: Here.
- Humongous Mecha: Here.
- Kawaisa: Here.
- Kimono: Here.
- Pixiv Fox Land: Here.
- Maid: Here.
- Memetic Mutation:
- New Year Has Come: Well, New Year Cards: Here.
- Original Character: Here. (Sturgeon's Law applies.)
- "Original Character, Don't Steal": Defied with the tag "It's OK if you want to draw him/her/it yourself": Here. (Sturgeon's Law applies.)
- Panty Shot: Here.
- Parody: Here.
- Rule 63: Here.
- Ryona, which is extreme violence done to women: Here. You've been warned.
- Sailor Fuku: Here. (This tag is understandably one of the most popular.)
- Scenery Porn: The tags means "I wanna go there!": Here.
- For the Scenery that may or may not being Porn, Here and Here.
- Super-Deformed: Here.
- This Is Wrong on So Many Levels: The tag means "How come it become like this": Here.
- Tokusatsu: Here.
- Tomboy ("boyish"): Here.
- Ugoira: Here. Predictably, the ability to finally upload animations has become popular very quickly.
- World Building: Aside from those created by users for existing works, there are also some World Building events organized by Pixiv itself. Well, it's really an art competition of creating illustrations for a Fantasy world described by Pixiv. A steady source of Crowning Moments of Awesome.
- Pixiv Fantasia: Here.
- Pixiv Fantasia II: Here.
- Pixiv Fantasia III: Here.
- Pixiv Fantasia IV: Here.
- Pixiv Fantasia V: Here.