The Mekakushi Dan.
The Kagerou Project is a series of Vocaloid
songs by producer Jin(Shizen no teki-P), with character designs by artists Shidu and Wannyanpuu. Each song in the series is connected to each other to tell a story centering on a group of people with special abilities that are born from their eyes.
The series also has a novel
written by the producer himself. It currently has two volumes, with the third releasing on May 30. These come together with the songs
and information released by Jin
to tell the complex plot behind a town that seems to be hiding more than it appears.
Mekakucity Records, the second and last album for the series, was released on May 29.
A manga is also currently being serialized monthly on Comic Gene and is illustrated by Mahiro Sato, and as per the announcement in the Children Record booklet, an anime is being produced by Studio SHAFT
under the title "MekakuCity Actors" and is set to air in the Summer 2014 season.
If you're interested, there are more in-depth guides to the series here
.Now has a character page.Seeing as the series is spread across different media, there are separate pages for the music and the novel. Please put tropes specifically referring to those under their respective pages.
Kagerou Project contains examples of:
- A Boy and His Cybernetic Girl Program-Thing Who Enjoys Pranking Him
- Ambiguously Human: Konoha.
- All There in the Manual: Some of the information about the characters are only mentioned in the accompanying booklets for the music cds.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: The Mekakushidan's eye powers tend to be connected to things they wished for prior to their deaths—Takane was narcoleptic and wanted better mental stamina, Haruka was frail from his congenital illness and wanted an idealized body, Momo wanted people to notice her and not just her genius big brother, Seto wanted to be able to understand people's feelings without having to talk to them, Kano wanted to hide the evidence of his mother's abuse, Kido internalized her family's abuse so badly she wanted to just disappear, Shintarou wanted to be able to go back to the day Ayano died, Ayano herself wanted to be able to stop her dad, and so on. There are exceptions to this rule, but virtually all the characters who do have powers relating to these wishes have experienced a lot of emotional turmoil because of their powers.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: All members of the Mekakushi Dan have a color associated with them (Kido - Violet, Seto - Green, Kano - Black, Mary - White, Momo - Orange, Ene - Blue, Shintaro and Ayano - Red, Hibiya - Light blue, Konoha - Yellow-green). Hiyori is also associated with pink.
- Dead All Along: The entire main cast.
- Domed Hometown
- Driven to Suicide: Ayano
- Shintarou due to the above in Route xx.
- Everyone Went to School Together: Shintarou, Ayano, Takane/Ene, and Haruka/Konoha. Before the all the incidents happened. The latter two were in a special section of the school but still interacted with the former two.
- "Groundhog Day" Loop: Hibiya and Hiyori, and on a larger scale, all of the characters due to Mary resetting the timeline when Kuroha kills them.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Shion, Mary's mother, was actually half-human. Thus Mary is only one-fourth Gorgon and three-quarters human.
- Identity Amnesia: The serious, more deadpan Konoha used to be the happy-go-lucky Haruka Kokonose. They still share a few traits.
- Inside a Computer System: Ene happens to be living in Shintarou's computer, though she can also inhabit phones and tvs.
- Magical Eye: Some important characters have eye abilities.
- Plot Triggering Death: Ayano's suicide.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Many, if not all, of the characters have this in common.
- The Wall Around the World
- You Can See Us?: When Kuroha spots the gang at the park while under Kido eye's ability