The Mekakushi Dan.
The Kagerou Project is a series of Vocaloid
songs by producer Jin(Shizen no teki-P), with character designs by artists Shidu and Wannyanpuu. Each song in the series is connected to each other to tell a story centering on a group of people with special abilities that are born from their eyes.
The series also has a novel
written by the producer himself. It currently has five volumes. These come together with the songs
and information released by Jin
to tell the complex plot behind a town that seems to be hiding more than it appears.Mekakucity Records
, the second and last album for the series, was released on May 29, 2013.
A manga is also currently being serialized monthly on Comic Gene and is illustrated by Mahiro Sato, and as per the announcement in the Children Record booklet, an anime produced by Studio SHAFT
under the title Mekakucity Actors
began airing on April 12, 2014.
If you're interested, there are more in-depth guides to the series here
.Now has a character page.Seeing as the series is spread across different media, there are separate pages for the music, anime and the novel. Please put tropes specifically referring to those under their respective pages.
Kagerou Project contains examples of:
- A Boy and His Cybernetic Girl Program-Thing Who Enjoys Pranking Him
- Ambiguously Human: Konoha.
- All There in the Manual: Some of the information about the characters are only mentioned in the accompanying booklets for the music cds.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: The Mekakushi Dan's eye powers tend to be connected to things they wished for prior to their deaths–Takane was narcoleptic and wished she had a body that didn't need things like food or sleep to function. Haruka was frail from his congenital illness and wanted a stronger body. Momo wanted people to notice her and not just her genius big brother. Seto wanted to be able to understand people's feelings without having to talk to them. Kano wanted to hide the evidence of his mother's abuse. Kido internalized her family's abuse so badly she wanted to just disappear. Shintaro cursed his excellent memorizing skills and inability to forget hurtful events. Ayano wanted to be able to stop her dad. There are exceptions to this rule, but virtually all the characters who do have powers relating to these wishes have experienced a lot of emotional turmoil because of them.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: All members of the Mekakushi Dan have a color associated with them (Kido - Violet, Seto - Green, Kano - Black, Marry - Pink, Momo - Orange, Ene - Dark Blue, Shintaro and Ayano - Red, Hibiya - Light Blue, Konoha - Chartreuse). Other characters are also associated with colors; Hiyori is also associated with pink, Kenjirou is associated with a rusty orange, and Shion is associated with lavender.
- Dead All Along: In a sense. The entire main cast died at some point, but came Back from the Dead.
- Driven to Suicide: Ayano.
- Shintaro due to the above in Route XX.
- Earn Your Happy Ending
- Everyone Went to School Together: Shintaro, Ayano, Takane/Ene, and Haruka/Konoha. Before all the incidents happened. The latter two were in a special section of the school but still interacted with the former two.
- Friendless Background: All of the main characters to some degree. Shintaro was an Insufferable Genius and apathetic at best, driving all others (except Ayano) away, Momo's ability is implied to have alienated her peers (as well as making her hate going out in public), Kido's power literally made her invisible to others, Kano was kept at home by his abusive mother, Seto was bullied until he met the latter two, Marry lived alone for 130 years because she was afraid of hurting people, Ene and Konoha actually did become friends with Shintaro and Ayano, but prior to that, they were mostly isolated from all of their peers except for each other due to their respective health conditions. and Hibiya's ultra-conservative parents stunted his social skills, while his fixation on Hiyori makes him fight with other boys. Hiyori herself seems to like him... but only when he's a convenience to her. Luckily, they all become True Companions.
- "Groundhog Day" Loop: Hibiya and Hiyori, and on a larger scale, all of the characters due to Marry resetting the timeline when Kuroha kills them. Implied with the rest of the main cast as well.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Shion, Marry's mother, was actually half-human. Thus, Marry is only one-fourth Medusa and three-quarters human.
- Identity Amnesia: The quiet and often expressionless Konoha used to be the happy-go-lucky Haruka Kokonose. They still share a few traits, however, such as large appetites, pale skin, air-headedness, and kind dispositions.
- Insecurity System: The mall boasts one of the most advanced electronic security systems ever. Yet it's easily hacked and hijacked by the terrorists, and later Ene.
- Inside a Computer System: Ene happens to be living in Shintaro's computer, though she can also inhabit phones and tvs.
- Magical Eye: Some important characters have eye abilities.
- Plot-Triggering Death: Ayano's suicide.
- Even before that, Ayaka's (Ayano's mother) death could be considered one, as Kenjirou's wish to see her again is the only reason the Big Bad of the series can exist in our world.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Many, if not all, of the characters have this in common.
- You Can't Fight Fate: Even though the several timelines, that the story consists of, differ from one another; There are some events that will always occur. Haruka/Takane will always turn into Konoha/Ene, Ayano will kill herself, Seto will always find Marry, Hibiya and Hiyori will be involved in the loop and more.