The Kagerou Project is a series of Vocaloid
songs by producer Jin(Shizen no teki-P).
The songs in the series are the following:
- Songs originally released on Nico Nico Douga
- Album-exclusive songs
- Dead and Seek
- Shinigami Record
- Ene no Dennou Kikou (Ene's Cybernetic Journey)
- Toumei Answer (Transparent Answer)
- Gunjou Rain (Ultramarine Rain)
- Shounen Brave (Brave Boy)
- Mary no Kakuu Sekai (Mary's Fictional World)
So far, Jin has released 3 albums (Mekakucity Actors, Mekakucity Days & Mekakucity Records) and a single (Children Record). The final album, Mekakucity Records, was released on May 29.
All of these songs connect to each other to tell the story of a town and a select number of its inhabitants who seem to have special abilities concerning their eyes. These songs, coupled with the novel
and the information that Jin releases
come together and are collectively known as the Kagerou Project
. Everything can be a little difficult to understand, so if you need any help with that there are guides to the series here
.Now has a character page.Please only list down tropes relating to the music here. If it refers to the series as a whole or the light novel and manga adaptation, please list them down on their respective pages.
Kagerou Project contains examples of:
- Art Evolution: It's very slight and a little hard to catch, but in the six months between Children Record and Yobanashi Deceive Shidu's art style changed from round-ish and slightly deranged stylization for each character to body builds more fitting for their ages that's more anatomically correct (though still somewhat deranged).
- Ascended Fangirl: Wannyanpuu was officially recruited as a member of the project after she uploaded her exceptionally done PV for Heat Haze Days.
- Call Back: As seen here, plenty of scenes in Otsukimi Recital are reminiscent of Kisaragi Attention. Fitting, since both are Momo's songs.
- Cute Monster Girl: Mary.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Mary tends to walks around barefoot in "Imagination Forest".
- Domed Hometown: The Reveal of "Headphone Actor".
- Expressive Hair: Mary's hair tends to start moving and waving around much like snakes whenever she feels growing excitement or happiness.
- End of the World as We Know It: "Headphone Actor" starts out with the announcement that the world would end within the next 24 hours, and the rest of the song details the ensuing pandemonium as the main character makes a mad sprint to the city limits.
- "Groundhog Day" Loop: Implied in "Kagerou Days", "Konoha no Sekai Jijou" and "Outer Science".
- Hair Decorations: Momo tends to wear her short hair with a few ribbons and Mary also wears a ribbon after the events of "Imagination Forest".
- Seto also has a barrette in his hair.
- Ayano wears two red clips.
- Hikikomori: Mary was raised as one.
- After Ayano commits suicide, Shintaro doesn't leave his house for two years.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: There are three variations to the song titles: Most songs in the series tend to be titled (Japanese word)(English word)note , some are completely Japanesenote , and others are completely English names note
- Odd Name Out: Children Record somewhat breaks this pattern, but this is probably because it's more of an "opening song". Outer Science doesn't have an obvious reason though.
- Idol Singer: Momo from "Kisaragi Attention" is an extremely straight example. She seems to be an idol singer almost exclusively from her ability to draw people's attention with her "eye-captivating" ability, resulting in her isolation from her peers. She gains a good set of friends after meeting the Blindfold Gang members.
- Image Song: Very prominent, as there is one for almost each of the main characters depicted.
- Mama Bear: Shion in "Imagination Forest". Sadly, she dies as a result of protecting Mary.
- Pensieve Flashback: The pv of Shounen Brave.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Used very prominently in "Children Record", but also seen in "Imagination Forest" and perhaps "Kisaragi Attention," though the nature of Momo's power was not particularly dangerous.
- Sleep Cute: Hibiya and Hiyori near the end of Konoha's State of the World.
- Spell My Name with an S: Is it Kagerou Days or Kagerou Daze? Most have taken to the former and official merchandise lists it as the latter, but it still isn't totally clear on what everyone should use. It's the same problem with Lost Time Memory and Loss Time Memory.
- Stand Alone Song: Toumei Answer and to some extent, Kagerou Days
- Stepford Smiler: Ayano is implied to be type A.
- Kano's implied to be type A, as well.
- íThree Amigos!: Kano, Kido, and Seto. The three original members of Mekakushi Dan.