Video Game / Pico
Pico is a Web Animation
series started by Newgrounds
creator Tom Fulp
. The series revolves around the characters Pico, Nene and Darnell as they get involved in particularly violent situations. The characters first appeared on the site in 1999 with five short games and movies:
- Pico's School: The original, a point-and-click Adventure Game/shooter inspired by the Columbine massacre. When a bunch of goth/punk/neo-Nazi kids go postal and turn the school into a battlefield, it's up to Pico to save the day by mowing down anything that moves (including Innocent Bystanders if you want) to teach them a lesson about true non-conformity.
- Nene's Interactive Suicide: Nene learns that popularity isn't all it's cracked up to be when she wakes up with herpes, and must choose how to end her life.
- Darnell Plays With Fire: Darnell goes overboard when teaching viewers about his favorite thing in the world: fire!
- Pico vs. Bear: Pico has been entrusted to take down Big Brown Bary, a Depraved Kids' Show Host with a sordid past and his equally fucked-up co-stars.
- Pico vs. Uberkids: A trio of cloned "genetically perfect" Uberkids challenge Pico, Nene, and Darnell in the game of their choice to prove their superiority. The game: Rock-Paper-Scissors Roulette!
As the series got more popular, it eventually became the work of people all over Newgrounds
, with more flashes such as Resident Pico
, and Pico Roulette
being added by various Newgrounders. Over the years, Pico became the Series Mascot
alongside other famous characters such as Alien Hominid
, The Clock Crew
, and the Tankmen
, and even gained an Evil Counterpart Spin-Off series
in the form of Piconjo
(an extremly pale Pico with a BFS
and a dong the size of a tree
, resulting in 99% of his apparitions culminating in a penis joke or something related), described by Newgrounds itself as the Wario
to Pico's Mario
. Scroll halfway down on any Flash video on the site, and you'll see an option to rate the video. There he is!
Pico, Piconjo, and Pico's best friends Darnell (a black Pyro Maniac
and Mad Bomber
kid) and Nene (a suicidal Chinese girl
with quite an addiction to blades
and a comical tendency to catch herpes due to her loose morals
, who is often portrayed as Pico's Love Interest
) are only the main characters of the whole Picoverse
. However, Tom Fulp doesn't make Pico shorts as often anymore. A sequel called Pico's School 2
was infamously in Development Hell
for years, with only some level designs appearing to the public. The status of this game has been unknown for years, although it seems that Tom doesn't like answering questions about it.
In 2006, a Newgrounds user suggested an idea for a "Pico Day"
, based off the Clock Days that had started earlier. Every year on April 30th (Tom Fulp's birthday) the Portal is filled with submissions based after the Pico characters, which makes up the majority of Pico works today.
Pico movies and games can be viewed here
. You can more about him on the Newgrounds Wiki here
This series provides examples of:
- Animesque: sometimes.
- Anti-Hero: Pico sits somewhere between the the pragmatic and unsrcupulous types.
- Artificial Humans: The Uberkids.
- Axes at School: Pico's School was inspired by the Columbine massacre, and begins with a Goth kid named Cassandra shooting up Pico's school.
- Black Comedy: Oh so much.
- Bring My Brown Pants: Cyclops wets himself if Pico announces his intentions to kill him.
- Dating Sim: Pico Sim Date and its sequel. It is... very different than Pico's normal offerings.
- Depending on the Artist: The characters' artistic design varied incredibly over the years.
- Depending on the Writer/Interpretative Characters: While the Troubling Unchildlike Behavior is the norm, everything else tends to vary. Pico and the gang have gone from good friends to grimly hunting each other down for no discernible reason.
- Depraved Kids' Show Host: Bary in Pico vs. Bear.
- Driven to Suicide: Nene. Her first appearance has her begging for Pico to kill her, and her second appearance, Nene's Interactive Suicide, speaks for itself. Played for Black Comedy. Pico himself also came close to this in Pico's Return and Averts this in Pico Epilogue.
- Interrupted Suicide: Pico Epsilon, an alternate version of Pico Epilogue, shows Pico about to go through with it until armored Uberkids go all Saiyan Saga on his friends.
- Early-Bird Cameo: In Pico's School, Nene first appears begging for you to end her life. Whether or not you oblige doesn't really matter. Darnell is first seen on a poster that reads: "Darnell for President! I only have five years to live!"
- Evil Counterpart: Piconjo.
- Eyes Are Unbreakable: Shooting Cassandra's One-Winged Angel form in her eyes doesn't hurt her, but it does interrupt her Eye Beam attack.
- Grievous Harm with a Body: Alucard, one of the bosses in Pico's School, is a psychic who throws dead bodies of classmates at you.
- The Grim Reaper: In Pico vs. Uberkids, if the trigger on the revolver in Rock Paper Scissors Roulette is pulled five times without going off, the next contestant to lose the Rock Paper Scissors match will have the Reaper standing over them, signifying that they are doomed.
- Growing Up Sucks: The occasional flashes that depict Pico in adulthood tend to depict him as a depressed, jaded shell of his former self, such as Pico Epilogue.
- Heroic Comedic Sociopath/Sociopathic Hero: Pico, with sociopathy varying Depending on the Artist.
- Improbably High I.Q.: Darnell has an IQ of over 200.
- Karmic Death: Darnell, after setting many fires, is crushed and burned alive by the flaming wreckage of a plane he watched explode.
- Littlest Cancer Patient: Darnell claims to have five years left to live in his campaign for school president, though many flashes indicate that it is just a lie.
- Luck-Based Mission: Pico vs. Uberkids has this in its Rock-Paper-Scissors and Russian Roulette hybrid. Something of a Justified Trope; the point of the story is that inherent superiority can't compensate for bad luck, and Pico is implied to have chosen the event because he knows this is the only way to defeat the Uberkids..
- Monochromatic Eyes: Several characters, including the trio themselves, commonly have this trait as a carryover from the original flashes.
- Mascot Fighter: Pico, Nene, Piconjo, and even Convict appear in Newgrounds Rumble. Guess Darnell is just boned.
- Mooks: Following Pico vs. Uberkids, the Uberkids often appear in Flash movies and games as mooks for Pico to mow down, such as in Pico's Unloaded.
- More Dakka: Pico's specialty.
- Negative Continuity: Most of the Pico games and movies have Pico, Nene and Darnell getting killed, only to get better in the next flash. Directly relates to Depending on the Writer above.
- One-Winged Angel: At the end of Pico's School, Pico battles Cassandra, who turns into a giant hermaphrodite alien monster. Who you then have to deliver the ultimate Groin Attack to.
- Panty Shot: Nene gives a lot of them.
- Plot-Relevant Age-Up: The characters' Vague Ages mostly depend on what is necessary for the setting, such as Pico Sim Date making them teens.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Pico calls the Goth Kids out on their general hypocrisy twice in Pico's School.
- The first time, if you select "Go eat dick" in the confrontation with Cyclops.
: Go eat dick, Cyclops. No one is impressed by you teen angst
. I seem to remember you being a big Pearl Jam
fan. (Cyclops has an ! reacton)
But then you were runnin' with the G-Squad for a while. Now you're a punk. What the fuck? Pick a trend & stick with it.
- In the final confrontation with the Big Bad.
Pico: Society sucks, but you don't have to kill your classmates to stand out. Try making the music instead of just listening to it. Better yet, make a crazy website that lets you kill pop-icons. It doesn't matter anyway. You have failed the test of life, and I will take you all on if I must!
- Refuge in Audacity
- Rock-Paper-Scissors/Russian Roulette: The "Rock Paper Scissors Roulette" game that Pico and crew play with the Uberkids in Pico vs. Uberkids. As the name suggests, it's a fusion of rock-paper-scissors and Russian roulette, with the loser of the rock-paper-scissors match having to try their luck with the revolver.
- Sequel Hook: At the end of Pico's School, Pico sees some kids from the ghetto coming to class, and gets out his gun again. In Pico's Unloaded, after killing all the Uberkids, Pico sees the ghetto kids again and prepares to fight.
- Series Mascot: Although the Tankmen adorn the Iconic Logo, one doesn't have to look too far to find a certain redheaded, gun-toting kid in green.
- Shared Universe: Pico tends to be depicted alongside the Tankmen, Alien Hominid, and other Newgrounds originals.
- Shut Up, Kirk!: Two from the Goths to Pico's "The Reason You Suck" Speech.
- Cyclops says that even if his tastes in music are inconsistent, he, unlike Pico, has never been a fan of "techno shit," and then shoots Pico.
- Cassandra says that she doesn't "give a shit about this society crap," and she's been using her fellow goths in her plan, before shooting the two remaining goths and going One-Winged Angel.
- Something Completely Different: Pico Sim Date. Pico as a Bishōnen teenager is just the tip of the iceberg.
- Shapeshifter: Convict in Pico vs. Convict.
- Straw Hypocrite: Cassandra hints at being this, declaring that she doesn't care about the "society crap," and is using the goths as part of a separate plan.
- Sturgeon's Law: Anyone on Newgrounds can make a Pico flash, so there are bound to be more than a few stinkers come Pico Day.
- íThree Amigos!: Pico, Nene and Darnell... usually.
- Token Trio: Pico, Nene and Darnell play this straight, with Asian female Nene being the usual Twofer Token Minority.
- Traintop Battle: The first half of Pico Blast is Pico fighting a Humongous Mecha from atop a moving train.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: And how! Part of what made Pico and the gang so famous is that they are far too young to be doing just about everything they do. It is especially egregious in Nene's case, who is not unwilling to partake in sexual acts.
- Vague Age: Also another product of Depending on the Writer, Pico and the gang has been depicted in high school, elementary school or any age in between. Pico vs Bear implies that he's young enough to be a fan of Bear in the Big Blue House. Perhaps these are all just various points in Pico's childhood.
- Weapon of Choice: