TO RULE THEM ALL!!
Joseph Blanchette, aka Legendary Frog, is a Flash animator popular on Newgrounds. Beginning Flash animating in 2001, he was most active until roughly 2005. He is best known for his original characters Ark and Kerrigan, in addition to his parodies of video games and movies (famously Lord of the Rings
and The Matrix
). His art style leans toward the chibi side of things, but went through something of an overhaul recently. He also did a comic on his website and DeviantArt
account for a while, before that went on hiatus. Blanchette has basically retired from doing movies himself, now collaborating as part of a team called Toonwerks by designing the character models, as that is his strong suit. Unfortunately, this means that many anticipated projects such as the continuation of the One Ring to Rule Them All Series, and a sequel to The Return of Ganondorf were cancelled. However, he is hard at work with Toonwerks, making films such as "Legends of the Black Book" and "Wonders of the Universe."
His site can be found here
His works include:
open/close all folders
Ark & Kerrigan series
- Kerrigan and the Frog: The one that started all the muffiny madness.
- All Your Pie: Can Ark resist eating the yummy pie? Or a better question would be how long he keeps his sanity.
- Kerri's Big Invention: Kerrigan's been down in the basement for days working those brain muscles coming up with brilliant and innovative inventions to make her famous. Meanwhile, Ark has his own cylinder shaped problems to deal with. Introduces two new supporting characters: Sal and Senya.
- The Legendary Tales: A series of 5 short films, mostly featuring Ark and Kerrigan, but also includes a short based on Metal Gear Solid.
- Senya's Movie Reviews: A v P: Senya reviews Alien vs. Predator, the long awaited movie that underwhelmed the audiences.
- Innocence: A poem in flash form that revolves around Kerrigan from the Galactic War Saga (her original incarnation).
- Ark & Kerrigan: Battle Rocks: Ark & Kerrigan battle it out over a cool treat on a hot summer day. Who will be the victor? Has no dialogue, and is set to the OverClocked ReMix song "Battle Rock" a remix of the Hammer Bros. music from Super Mario Bros. 3.
One Ring to Rule Them All
- One Ring to Rule Them All: Special Edition: An Enhanced Remake of one of Legendary Frog's first Flash movies, plus the original version and a short "behind the scenes" feature starring Joey and his friend Dustin. Sauron is looking to hire. Is Wayne the Goblin up for the job?
- One Ring to Rule Them All 2: Sauron plans to obtain the ring from those meddlesome Hobbits.
- One Ring to Rule Them All 3: Wayne goes on a hot date with the Red Haired Elf Chick. Will the green guy get lucky, or will she realize he's a smelly goblin? Meanwhile, Sauron gets a visit from an old roommate: the Dark Lord Melkor, his old master. How will the night end for both of them?
- The One Ring: The Hobbit - Part 1: Bilbo Baggins and his dwarven companions begin their adventure in this retelling of the classic tale: The Hobbit.
Video Game Parodies
- RE: Code Veronica Flash Edition: Parodies about 1/4 of the classic Dreamcast title.
- The Return of Ganondorf: Link has a feeling his arch nemesis Ganondorf is up to no good...but can he prove it?
- Final Fantasy Tribute: Nearly 60 Final Fantasy characters, 2 minutes of Chocobo theme love, and 1 little bouncing 'Boco. Another (albeit earlier) film that uses music from OverClocked ReMix.
- FF7: About Random Battles: The all knowing announcer teaches Cloud all about random battles on the Overworld map! Features a mini-game by Tom of the Super Flash Bros. which allows you to unlock 5 bonus movies.
- I Am Resident Evil: A parody of the Army of One commercials featuring Resident Evil characters.
- The Legend of ZELDA: The first movie Legendary Frog released. A music video of sorts for The Rabbit Joint's take on the Legend of Zelda theme.
- Resident Evil: Flash Edition: A parody of the laughably bad opening to the original Resident Evil.
- It Came From the World of Warcraft: When Gnomes Fly: A gnome named Brudder tries to impress the world with his inventions.
- The Matrix Has You: A series of short Matrix parodies by Legendary Frog, Richie Zirbes, Metal Maverick, Luke de Ayora, the Super Flash Bros., and Chris Boe.
- The Matrix Still Has You: A second series of short Matrix parodies by Legendary Frog, Serge, Joanime, Cycon, and Gerkinman.
- Metal Gear Crisis 1.1: A collaboration between NALO and LF. Snake and Otacon have to stop the deadly Metal Gear...GEAR!
- Metal Gear Crisis 1.2: The exciting conclusion to Snake's mission.
- There's Something About Halo 2: A similar concept to The Matrix Has You, except headed by the Super Flash Bros.
- $00pah nin10doh!: The second Robot Chicken-esque collab by Chris Niosi, features a few shorts by Legendary Frog based on Pikmin, Donkey Kong Country 2, Fire Emblem, and Tetris.
- nin10doh! to the 64th Power: The third in the series, Joey did a short based on Diddy Kong Racing.
- Legends of the Black Book, Part 1: Some Legends speak of heroes... and some speak of... these guys. The carefully laid plans of the "Cult of the Lich" go horribly awry, as the Lord of Death himself is summoned into the world after being trapped in a dark tome for thousands of years. Our two unlikely heroes, the bumbling wizard wanna-be Xiphon, and his height impaired companion Slinks, are exiled to a evil forest and begin their quest to right the wrongs they help caused... or to just get into more trouble.
- Minecraft Documentary: The Journey of Greenfeet: A nature documentary following the struggles of a wild Creeper trying to make his way in the world.
- Wonders of the Universe: Welcome aboard the flagship of the White Dwarf Line: The Wonders of the Universe! We hope you enjoy your stay! In this new series, we're introduced to life aboard "The Wonders the Universe," a galactic-class cruise ship with alien passengers and crew... but where the humans are forced to do the dirty work.
- "Episode 1: Human/Cyborg Relations": It's Quintin Quasar's first day on the job, and already he feels out of place as the ship's computer helps him get adjusted.
- Bonus Short: "Milky Ways": The S.T.F.U. 9000 helps a crew member sleep.
- "Episode 2: Mostly Harmless": The crew of the intergalactic cruise ship The Wonders of the Universe are celebrating their upcoming maiden voyage... but a surprise inspection puts everything in jeopardy.
- "Episode 3: Shanghai Dune": Quintin and a suicidally-depressed service robot are accidentally stranded on a desert world.
- "Episode 4: A Cyberspace Odyssey": The ship encounters a strange "intelligence" from days long past...the Internet!
Tropes that are present in Legendary Frog's works:
- Amazing Technicolor Population: The original characters have blue, green, or both blue and green skin.
- Bare Your Midriff: Senya
- Beleaguered Assistant: Wayne the Goblin.
- Big "NO!": A few times,
- Sauron: Wait a minute! My collection of exotic spices and seasonings! My meats will go unflavored forever! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
- Brudder at the end of "When Gnomes Fly"
- The Chessmaster: Legolas of all people.
Legolas: He thought I was the puppet. Little did he know, I'm the one pulling the strings!
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Tom Bombadil in "One Ring: The Hobbit."
- The Architect in "The Matrix Has You."
- Comically Missing the Point: Lampshaded in One Ring 2.
Sauron: Wait a minute...I get it! No, wait, that's New Age music. And I'm still oblivious.
- Deadpan Snarker: Several
- Senya usually takes this role considering she's best friends with Ark and Kerrigan.
- Sprinkets in "When Gnomes Fly."
- Wayne to an extent.
- Nova in Wonders of the Universe.
- The Ditz: Ark
- Dope Slap: Navi gives Link one at the end of "The Return of Ganondorf," doubles as Get a Hold of Yourself Man.
Link: Oh they'll see! I'll make them see it! They'll call me crazy, but I'm not crazy! I'm the only one that's not crazy! *slap!* Thanks Navi, I lost control.
- Drunk Driver: Conker unsurprisingly in the "nin10doh! to the 64th Power" short.
- Earworm: Even Link is not immune to Saria's Song.
Link: He didn't go around maiming people or anything. The song was catchy though!
- Evil Laugh: At the end of "The Return of Ganondorf," Link gives one just as he's about to murder Navi.
- Floating Advice Reminder: In All Your Pie, Ark struggles to resist eating Kerrigan's pie:
Kerrigan: Don't you eat this pi-i-ie!
Mayor* : Pie day!
Kerrigan: Don't you eat this pi-i-ie!
Mayor: Pie day!
- Gamer Chick: Kerrigan
- Heel-Face Turn: Ganondorf claims to have gone through one in "The Return of Ganondorf," but Link doesn't buy it. And in his failed attempts to prove it, the cartoon ends with the implication that Link has gone through a Face-Heel Turn.
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Egoraptor reprises his role as Snake and Otacon in his movies.
- Insult Backfire: Brudder's initial attempts to provoke some members of the Hoard in "When Gnomes Fly" are pretty typical fantasy insults, but being monsters, they respond more violently to things such as "Your mother stinks of elf ears" (as opposed to troll sweat).
- Inventor of the Mundane: Mentioned as a gag in Kerri's Big Invention where Kerrigan decides to become an inventor and make millions. She says to Senya, "Remember John from down the street? John Velcro?"
- Kissing Cousins: In his Donkey Kong Country 2 short for $00pah nin10doh!.
Diddy: So Dix, what say we skip the action-adventure platforming and get it on like Diddy Kong?
Dixie: You do know we're like, related, right?
Diddy: That's even better!
- Never My Fault: Sauron blames Wayne for everything, for the destruction of the One Ring. Even after the latter spent the entire time beforehand telling him to take it before killing the Hobbits.
Sauron: Wayne, you idiot! You didn't take the Ring from the Hobbits! Now everything is destroyed and I'll never get to rule Middle Earth! And it's all your fault!
- Never Trust a Trailer: The trailer for One Ring 3 lampshades itself at the end.
Sauron: Will any of this actually be in the movie?
Wayne: No, it'll all be lost during post-production.
- Scooby-Dooby Doors: In One Ring 2 with a chase sequence and everything! The gang even cameos to drive the gag home.
- Shout-Out: Tons, including Hamtaro, Pikmin, UHF, Homestar Runner, The Simpsons, The Powerpuff Girls, and numerous others.
- Slumber Party: Zelda throws one and invites Ganondorf.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: In Resident Evil: Flash Edition, Wesker makes one after Joseph is mauled:
"Well, I, er, didn't see that coming."
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Senya (Tomboy) and Kerri (Girly Girl)
- That Makes Me Feel Angry: It makes Ganondorf want to.... volunteer at the soup kitchen!
- Too Dumb to Live: Sauron has Sam and Frodo captured. What does he do? Lower them and the One Ring into Mount Doom of course!
- Trademark Favorite Food: Muffins for Kerrigan.