Creator: Edmund McMillen
Edmund McMillen (born 1980) is an indie game creator and former comic author. Initially making a name for himself through Flash games on Newgrounds, Ed saw his breakthrough when he and programmer Tommy Refenes, collectively known as Team Meat, released a commercial sequel dubbed Super Meat Boy.Following the toil of creating Super Meat Boy, the events being one of the three stories documented in Indie Game: The Movie, Team Meat saw widespread success from the game, leading to further success. Currently, Team Meat is working on a Meat Boy sequel and a new title, dubbed Mew-Genics; the progress of both, as well as some of McMillen's new artwork, can be found on his blog.
Works by McMillen and Team Meat include:
- This is a Cry for Help (High School years)
- The Lonely Hermit (2001)
- Dead Baby Dressup (2001-2008)
- Carious Weltling (2003)
- Clubby the Seal (2004)
- Gish (2004)
- Thicker Than Water (2004)
- Blast Miner (2006)
- Triachnid (2006)
- Cereus Peashy (2007)
- Host (2007)
- Guppy (2007)
- Coil (2008)
- Meat Boy (2008)
- Cunt (2008)
- Aether (2008)
- Grey Matter (2008)
- AVGM (2009)
- Spewer (2009)
- Time Fcuk (2009)
- Super Meat Boy, (2010), the non-flash sequel to Meat Boy.
- The Binding of Isaac (2011)
- Wrath of the Lamb DLC (2012)
- The Basement Collection (2012), a boxset of his older Flash games, comics, and misc. art. Contents
- Facist! (2014)
- The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (2014), a "re-quel" featuring a new, 16-bit art style and new content.
- Afterbirth DLC (2015)
- Fingered (2015)
- Super Meat Boy: Forever (TBA), the third instalment in the Meat Boy series.
- Mew-Genics (TBA), a unique game summed up as a "Cat Lady Simulator". Currently on hold.
Tropes commonly employed
- Black Comedy: A lot of Meat Boy's cutscenes, and almost all of Isaac.
- Body Horror
- The Cameo: Often times characters from his other games will make crossover appearances.
- Canon Welding: Apparently, Time Fcuk and Isaac are highly related, and Steven may even be Isaac. This just complicates things more.
- Mind Screw: The amount varies depending on the game, but just try to piece together what The Binding of Isaac's plot really is. Coil and Time Fcuk are other major examples.
- Surreal Horror: Some of his games, but especially his trailers, done by James Id.