Where stories meet the young, is where we meet the heroes and the legends.
Ilke, Alk, Arol and Kheiko.Phenomena
is a series of Norwegian Young Adult
fantasy books written by Ruben Eliassen
. The series follows the elf boy Alk and his twin sister Ilke, which according to an old prophecy has the power to defeat Tarkan, the fürst of darkness, and by that free their world from his evil regime.
The series takes place in Aldra, a country in the world Erda, controlled by the Sherpa, the Dark Lord and his evil forces. The elves are slaves by Tarkan's servants the mortoks but two elves, Harti and Khiri, manages to bring their newborn children out of captivity and to the wise vizard Sha-ra's Castle. Here will the children, the twins Alk and Ilke, raised in freedom. It turns out that Sha-ra knows an ancient prophecy, recorded in the Phenomena; the book of visdom. The prophecy says that two elf children will rise up and fight Tarkan on the Gredom fields. These two children are Alk and Ilke, and they go out to fulfil prophecy and defeat evil.
Throughout the series, we follow Alk and Ilke and their adventures leading up to the unavoidable battle that will decide the fate of the world. In addition to the twins, we also get to know their adoptive father Sha-ra, their big brother figure Arol, Jolsah the mortok prince, Azur an escaped slave, and Millian who have been transported to Aldra from our own world and many others.
Official site is here
, official facebook page is here
, and a fan club on DeviantArt here
. Some has been translated professionally here by Gyldendal
, but it has not been updated in a long time including but calling a Good Bad Translation
would be too kind due to the fact it's not very good
. It has been translated into Italian, Danish, Swedish, Finish and German. Has a Live Action TV-series
in development by Filmed Imagination
, which you can read about on IMDb
and their own pages here
, the episode writer is open for both questions and sugestions on twitter
. Some fans hope it'll see the same fate as Deltora Quest
did in Japan which got an anime
, a manga and a game.
- Phenomena, the 2002-2011 book series currently consisting of 7 novels and so far 12 spinoffs:
This page could use some Wiki Magic
Phenomena provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Ilke and Millian
- Anti-Hero: Azur and Jolsah can be seen as such.
- Alas, Poor Villain: Tarkan, is Mentor, Sha-ra's jealous brother.
- Aloof Ally: Azur seems to be this in the beginning.
- Always Save the Girl: Subverted, as Alk didn't know that Mijam and her people where taken away in the first place.
- Artifact of Doom: King Veha's heart, it might keep Sherpa from going to kill everyone in Aldra, however, he still torments them. Also Kheiko in some way since it uses the wielder to kill.
- Art Evolution: See here◊, wherever it was an evolution however, is up to you.
- Badass Family: Alk, Ilke, Sha-ra and Arol is kinda this. Alk and Ilke are the chosens, Alk wields Kheiko while Ike controls the ice. Sha-ra is an badass sorcerer, whom was the first dragonknight and Arol is a badass winterbear!
- Badass Crew: The more they travel the bigger the crew gets. In the end they have a Badass Army.
- Barbarian Tribe: The mortoks, whom keeps he elves as their slaves.
- Berserk Button: have slaves and Ilke will kick your ass, hurt Ilke and Alk will kick your ass...
- Brother-Sister Team: Alk and Ilke that also are twins.
- Big Brother Mentor: Arol is this to Alk and Ilke. Teaching them different things, like how to fight without weapons.
- Big Fancy Castle: Sha-ra has one.
- Blind Seer: They meet one on their travels.
- Cain and Abel: Mentor and Sha-ra, Ezau and Azur.
- The Cavalry Arrives Late: Played for Drama, if they had come earlier would Ilke have survived.
- Children Forced To Kill: Alk and Ilke, unfortunately...
- Child Soldier: Turns out in the end that Alk and Ilke weren't chosen, King Veha just needed someone to free the elves for him.
- Coming-of-Age Story: Follows Alk and Ilke from they are born until they're around 18.
- Cool Old Guy: Sha-ra
- Cute Bookworm: Alk
- Disney Death: Sha-ra in the 1st book
- Dub Name Change: In the german translation Alk is Alak, Sha-ra is Scha-ra and Arol is Arul. The only understandable is Arul since the german u is the norwegian o.
- Either/Or Prophecy
- Elemental Hair: Ilke has icy light blue hair that almost looks like icicles. It's a case of Power Dyes Your Hair. However the germans did an Adaptation Dye-Job and gave her black or very dark blue.
- Extreme Omnivore: the terraquses.
- Five-Man Band:
- Fighter, Mage, Thief: Alk, Ilke and Millian pretty much when they travel alone.
- Folk Heroes: According to Phenomena Alk and Ilke will become this.
- Gamer Chick: Millian likes World of Warcraft, and wants Ilke to try it.
- Genki Girls: Ilke and Mijam.
- Genre Savvy: Millian, which confuses the others.
- Giant Flyer: Alk, Ilke and Jolsah sees one in the beginning of the 2nd book.
- Good Is Not Nice: Kheiko
- Great Big Book of Everything: Phenomena itself.
- Hero's Muse: Mijam is Alk's.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Ponjak and Melka becomes this.
- Horse of a Different Color: the Ahmel◊ is used much, as well as dragons(but only by the Dragon Knight order), wolves by the Wolf Rider tribe and sometimes horses.
- Inevitable Waterfall: in the 1st book
- Intergenerational Friendship: Alk and Ilke has this with many, including Millian, Azur, Arol, Mentor and more.
- Interspecies Friendship: tons
- Interspecies Romance: Mijam and Alk seems to be this. Also Millian and Azur.
- I Will Wait for You: Mijam will wait for Alk.
- Jeanne d'Archétype: Ilke, She even dies in the end, but seems to have woken up from the dead. If one like Phenomena's facebook page Ruben Eliassen will write her ultimate fate.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Jolsah
- Kid Heroes: Alk and Ilke
- Left Hanging: And how!
- Loads and Loads of Characters
- Loads and Loads of Races
- Magnetic Heroes
- Mage In Trondheim: Where both Alk and Ilke goes when they are teleported to our world and the hideout for some evil wizards. The wizards hide in Nidarosdomen. Where ever this was meant to be Take That to christianity or not is not told, might be becauce the 1st book was awarded the The Norwegian Ministry of Culture and Church Affair First Book Prize.
- Man Hug: Alk and Jolsah does this in the 7th book, and Ilke claims she loves seeing guys hug.
- Meaningful Name: tons, aparently, according to Sha-ra.
- Medieval European Fantasy: subverted, if one pay attention is it more like the 19th century if compared to Earth, [[spoiler: and Amyrst's dress looks more like it's from the 18th century. There is Fantasy Gun Control, probably because there's magic and the population's extreme fear of the unknown. It is pretty feudal, but there's one king.
- Mordor: Sherpa controls a country called "nothern country" or "country in the north" by the story and the charcters, it's never described in much detail.
- Near-Rape Experience: Mijam seems to have experienced something like that late in the 6th book, but it's never brought up again in the 7th so nobody really knows.
- No Export for You: has only been translated into Swedish, German, Finish, Danish and Italian.
- No Periods, Period: although it is hinted that Ilke and Millian talk about it once.
- Not So Different Sherpa tries this on Ilke.
- One of the Boys: Ilke, Jolsah tries to keep her out though.
- One Steve Limit: Mijam and Millian are really alike, but it's never was bought up.
- Made even worse if you can Spanish where "ll" is pronounced "j".
- Older Than They Look: Sha-ra and Millian
- Le Parkour: Millian seems to be really good at this.
- Picture Books: Both spin-offs.
- Prophecies Are Always Right: Or so they where led to believe.
- Puppy Love: Mijam and Alk
- Quicksand Sucks: Early in the 2nd book Alk and Ilke are Separated From The Adults. Then they are dragged into the sand. It's actually because terraqus'es are dragging them down.
- Real Women Don't Wear Dresses: Ilke, except for one time.
- River of Insanity: Quite early in the 1st book, Sha-ra jumps of the raft trying to stop it.
- Sha-ra's Girl: Ilke
- Shout Outs: Millian loves coming with them since she grew up here on earth.
- Shrug of God: Alk and Ilke's clothes are implied to belonged to Sha-ra and Mentor when they where younger considdering that Ilke dresses quite masculine. The clothes are also different from those Sha-ra and other elves currently wear (probably due to Sha-ra being a mage and the elves being slaves), more like a mix of elvish and winter bear clothes. It's never said who made them or when they where made, and Khiri couldn't just make and send them, which implies the first theory. Ezpect for that [[spoiler: the castle Sha-ra and Mentor grew up in burnt down and only a few books survived.
- Slasher Smile: Azur on the cover 6th book of his spin-off.
- The Smurfette Principle: Ilke was the only girl in the main group until book 3.
- Spring Is Late: during most of Alk and Ilke's childhood, because Hish wants to kidnap them, or as he says, play with them, so he sticks around the castle until he can't anymore.
- The Sword That Speaks: Kheiko, but only Alk can hear it.
- Take Up My Book: Sha-ra wants Mentor to take up the Phenomena after his death.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Azur, well according to Millian anyway.
- Trapped in Another World: Alk and Ilke are trapped in our world in the 3rd book.
- The Three Faces of Eve: Ilke is childlike and innocent, Mijam is sensible and capable, Millian is Hotter and Sexier.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Ilke's Tomboy to Mijam's girly girl
- Too Soon: book 7 was this according to Word of God, because of some recent events, but it was published anyway.
- Two Girls and a Guy: Alk, Ilke and Millian from time to time.
- Unable to Cry: Alk when Sha-ra dies, and even more when Ilke dies, which breaks him completely.
- Upper-Class Twit: Jolsah in the beginning.
- Urban Fantasy: for some of the 3rd book.
- Welcome to the Real World
- What Does This Button Do?: how their adventure begins.
- What the Hell, Townspeople?: In the beginning of the 2nd book a line of people are waiting in line to get water from a well, Ilke makes some ice with her powers and instead of thanking her they treat her like she was a monster.
- You Get Knocked Down, You Get Back Up Again: Harti in the very 1st chapter.
- You Gotta Have Purple Hair With Red Stripes: Jolsah's hair is WEIRD.