A variety of fanfic in which the plotline is focused around the reactions of the cast to the death of one of their number. Frequently written in the first person, as the narrator goes on (sometimes at exasperating length) about everything they regret doing/not having done and everything that ever went wrong in their relationship to the deceased. Confessions of hidden love, secret friendship and occasionally responsibility for the death are common. Almost stereotypically ends with some variation on "Goodbye (name), life will never be the same without you/I'll miss you/I'm coming to join you just as soon as I open this vein
This is a fanfic style which lends itself, predictably, to incredible amounts of wangst
Some Death Fics explicitly employ a Tomato Surprise
by obscuring just who is narrating and/or who died until the very last moment. A few of these don't actually spring the surprise, instead forcing the reader to guess.
Not to be confused with a Dead Fic
or Someone Has to Die
Examples (sorted by original source media):
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In Axis Powers Hetalia fanfics, this is so frequent that it may qualify as a [[Dead Horse Trope]]. The only reason this doesn't bore the readers is due to the timeline of the show. In 2000 years, the death of a single character could be written 30 times, only in different eras, and bring totally different effects.
- Special mention here to Italy's reaction to the death of the Holy Roman Empire. There are countless fics exploring his emotional trauma. A not long, but good example would be Best Left Forgotten.
- Ranma ˝:
- Random1377's Neon Genesis Evangelion fic Aoi starts with Rei having to kill Shinji (perfectly justified under the circumstances) and spirals into the abyss from there.
- The infamous Lucky Star Death Fic Ahoge by Zokusho.
- For Descendants of Darkness, there's the fic When the Day is Bright. Unusually, this actually has a happy ending, which only adds to the feeling of catharsis after this fic has wrung you out completely.
- Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle has Dead. Yes, that is the actual title.
- The Girls und Panzer fic In Memoriam is advertised as being a death fic in the summary, but it takes a few chapters before it's revealed that the person who dies is Miho, the main character.
Film - Live-Action
Live Action TV
- Go Not Gently kills off Vivi Ornitier in the prologue. His death shapes the entire plot from there on out.
- A fic entitled The Many Deaths of Ms. Croft takes this to its logical conclusion for Tomb Raider. The fic essentially consists of a series of oneshots in which Lara Croft dies no less than 11 times in varying, but always gruesome, ways.
- Katawa Shoujo:
- In Reconciliation, Hanako distances herself from Hisao and Lilly out of guilt for eight years, until she gets a phone call informing her of Hisao's death.
- In Regrets, the main characters have various reactions to Hisao's death in the Act 1 bad ending.
- The Kingdom Hearts Fic A Dirge For You tackles the scenario of Sora dying in the final battle with Xehanort. Four chapters (P.O.Vs being Riku, Roxas, Aqua, and Sora himself in that order) of either Wangst or tear jerking sorrow. Oh, and it's stated that among the casualties are Terra, Kairi, Ventus, Vanitas, and every incarnation of Xehanort part of the True Organization.
- We have Gensokyo 20XX, which is this to a lesser degree, with some characters dying off left and right. Even immortals are no exception, as is obvious seeing that Eirin killed herself and succeeded.
- Koishi Komeiji's Heart-Throbbing Adventure is this to a high degree that those that didn't die go insane and those that do die are not given very pleasant deaths to say the least.
- The Darkwing Duck / DuckTales fanfic Two Worlds One Loved One is about the reactions of Scrooge and Darkwing to Launchpad's death in the line of duty.
- Parodied (amongst other things) in the Kim Possible oneshot Not Another Death Fic. In a nutshell: The characters try to avoid turning the story into a Death Fic...by turning it into a Shipping fic. Hilarity Ensues.
- The unusually dark My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fanfic Bittersweet had Pinkie Pie get diabetes, and going on one last sweet binge because she couldn't live with it. Rainbow Dash runs away because she can't deal with everything in Ponyville reminding her of Pinkie, while Rarity tries (unsuccessfully) to resurrect her.
- The Assassination Of Twilight Sparkle, where Twilight is murdered a year after her coronation, and it deals with Celestia's grief.
- Very common in this fandom, actually, in two distinct flavors: before Twilight becomes a Winged Unicorn, there's Twilight dying and Spike (dragon with four-figure life expectancy) and/or Princess Celestia (Winged Unicorn sun goddess, immortal) dealing with it; after it, there's the now-immortal Twilight dealing with the loss of the rest of the cast. Sometimes it's reminiscing years after the character's loss, sometimes it's the last moments of Twilight (pre-alicorn-hood) or of the last of Twilight's friends (post-alicorn-hood.)
- The Total Drama story, Legacy is all about the repercussions of a contestant's death. Said repercussions are still being felt a decade later.