A variety of fanfic in which the plotline is focused around the reactions of the cast to the death of one of their number. Frequently written in the first person, as the narrator goes on (sometimes at exasperating length) about everything they regret doing/not having done and everything that ever went wrong in their relationship to the deceased. Confessions of hidden love, secret friendship and occasionally responsibility for the death are common. Almost stereotypically ends with some variation on "Goodbye (name), life will never be the same without you/I'll miss you/I'm coming to join you just as soon as I open this vein
This is a fanfic style which lends itself, predictably, to incredible amounts of wangst
Some Death Fics explicitly employ a Tomato Surprise
by obscuring just who is narrating and/or who died until the very last moment. A few of these don't actually spring the surprise, instead forcing the reader to guess.
Not to be confused with a Dead Fic
or Someone Has to Die
Examples (sorted by original source media):
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
Film - Live-Action
Live Action TV
- Go Not Gently kills off Vivi Ornitier in the prologue. His death shapes the entire plot from there on out.
- A fic entitled The Many Deaths of Ms. Croft takes this to its logical conclusion for Tomb Raider. The fic essentially consists of a series of oneshots in which Lara Croft dies no less than 11 times in varying, but always gruesome, ways.
- Katawa Shoujo:
- In Reconciliation, Hanako distances herself from Hisao and Lilly out of guilt for eight years, until she gets a phone call informing her of Hisao's death.
- In Regrets, the main characters have various reactions to Hisao's death in the Act 1 bad ending.
- The Kingdom Hearts Fic A Dirge For You tackles the scenario of Sora dying in the final battle with Xehanort. Four chapters (P.O.Vs being Riku, Roxas, Aqua, and Sora himself in that order) of either Wangst or tear jerking sorrow. Oh, and it's stated that among the casualties are Terra, Kairi, Ventus, Vanitas, and every incarnation of Xehanort part of the True Organization.
- Parodied (amongst other things) in the Kim Possible oneshot Not Another Death Fic. In a nutshell: The characters try to avoid turning the story into a Death Fic...by turning it into a Shipping fic. Hilarity Ensues.
- The unusually dark My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fanfic Bittersweet had Pinkie Pie get diabetes, and going on one last sweet binge because she couldn't live with it. Rainbow Dash runs away because she can't deal with everything in Ponyville reminding her of Pinkie, while Rarity tries (unsuccessfully) to resurrect her.
- The Assassination Of Twilight Sparkle, where Twilight is murdered a year after her coronation, and it deals with Celestia's grief.
- Very common in this fandom, actually, in two distinct flavors: before Twilight becomes a Winged Unicorn, there's Twilight dying and Spike and/or Princess Celestia dealing with it; after it, there's the immortal Twilight dealing with the loss of the rest of the cast. Sometimes it's reminiscing years after the character's loss, sometimes it's the last moments of Twilight (pre-alicorn-hood) or of the last of Twilight's friends (post-alicorn-hood.)
- The Total Drama story, Legacy is all about the repercussions of a contestant's death. Said repercussions are still being felt a decade later.