is a Fusion Fic
and Avatar: The Last Airbender
, placing the characters of Glee
in the Avatar-verse. None of the characters or plot lines in Avatar
are a part of the story, and only a few story lines about different characters carry over from Glee
Kurt is the new Avatar, a native Waterbender
, who has studied Earthbending
and is just beginning to learn Firebending
from Blaine, the prince of the Fire Nation. Kurt is currently facing the threat of a mysterious disease plaguing the world, while the Fire Nation has been thrust into political chaos by one Sue Silvester.
The story follows Team Avatar as Kurt attempts to restore balance to the world, receive his Firebending training, and escape Sue's band of elite Firebenders before they kill him and his friends.
Solar Winds contains examples of:
- All There in the Manual: You'll have to go to the author's Tumblr page to find out what's up with every Glee character who doesn't appear in the story proper, not to mention the plot of Books One and Three, neither of which will, according to the author, ever see the light of day outside this material.
- Apologetic Attacker: Blaine has a tendency to apologize to the people he is attacking if they are only Mooks, especially towards the beginning of the story.
- Badass: Much of the main set of characters, particularly Blaine, Kurt, Mercedes, Artie, Quinn, and Sebastian
- Big Badass Bird of Prey: Parvarotti, Blaine's messenger hawk, who is very protective of him—and tends to treat others with hostility
- Break the Cutie: Blaine. Oh so much.
- The Chosen One: Kurt, the current Avatar. This sort of comes with the territory, given that this is a Fusion Fic with Avatar: The Last Airbender .
- Cloudcuckoolander: As with her counterpart in the original show, Brittany is very ditzy
- Cool Mask: Sebastian sports one of the Fox variety.
- Dark Action Girl: Santana has a particular fondness for her whip and is not overly concerned with who is at the receiving end of it
- Disability Superpower: While Artie is an excellent Earthbender in his own right, his inability to walk has led to him developing a way of traveling using his Earthbending skills to slide along the ground, rather than relying on the chair. This, and his con artist/thieving skills, make him particularly good at sneaking around and spying to get information when it is necessitated by Team Avatar.
- Elemental Powers: Given one half of this story's inspiration this is a given
- Kurt is a native Waterbender, as well as the Avatar. Finn is also a Waterbender (and a Healer).
- Jesse, Brittany, and Rachel are all Airbenders.
- Artie and Mercedes are both Earthbenders.
- Sue, Quinn, Blaine, Wes, David, The Chi-Ryus, and all of the Dalton students, are all Firebenders.
- Elite Mooks: The Chi-Ryus are extremely well trained and pose an actually challenge to Team Avatar.
- Guys Smash, Girls Shoot: Gender Flipped in the case of Sebastian, who is The Archer, and Mercedes, who is effectively The Big Guy.
- Hands-On Approach: This is how Blaine goes about teaching Kurt Firebending and breathing techniques to help with it.
- The Plague: The main threat facing the world. As the Avatar, Jurt has to find a way to stop it. Fire Lord Sue wants to stop the plague, too, but has a very diiferent idea of how to do it.
- Shout-Out: The story is littered with reference to the original Glee, Team Starkid and occasionally some other pop-culture references.
- Spirit Advisor: As the Avatar, Kurt has a slew of them. The only ones we've seen are the two immediately previous to KurtóAvatar Gaga and Avatar Groban.