Fan Fic / Solar Winds
is a Fusion Fic
and Avatar: The Last Airbender
, placing the characters of Glee
in the Avatar-verse. None of the characters or plot lines in Avatar
are a part of the story, and only a few story lines about different characters carry over from Glee
Kurt is the new Avatar, a native Waterbender
, who has studied Earthbending
and is just beginning to learn Firebending
from Blaine, the prince of the Fire Nation. Kurt is currently facing the threat of a mysterious disease plaguing the world, while the Fire Nation has been thrust into political chaos by one Sue Silvester.
The story follows Team Avatar as Kurt attempts to restore balance to the world, receive his Firebending training, and escape Sue's band of elite Firebenders before they kill him and his friends.
Solar Winds contains examples of:
- All There in the Manual: You'll have to go to the author's Tumblr page to find out what's up with every Glee character who doesn't appear in the story proper, not to mention the plot of Books One and Three, neither of which will, according to the author, ever see the light of day outside this material.
- Apologetic Attacker: Blaine has a tendency to apologize to the people he is attacking if they are only Mooks, especially towards the beginning of the story.
- Break the Cutie: Blaine.
- Butt-Monkey: Finn. There are hints that all the bullying and teasing is a passive aggressive punishment for a past betrayal.
- Changeling Fantasy: Rachel, who discovers that she's actually an Airbender.
- The Chosen One: Kurt, the current Avatar. This sort of comes with the territory, given that this is a Fusion Fic with Avatar: The Last Airbender.
- Cliffhanger: Several chapters end with cliffhangers, but the entire story, being a dead fic, ends on one in Chapter 75, with the reveal that Sam and Thad are to be publicly executed for treason by Fire Lord Sue the next morning.
- Cloudcuckoolander: As with her counterpart in the original show, Brittany is very ditzy
- Cool Mask: Sebastian sports one of the Fox variety.
- Dark Action Girl: Santana has a particular fondness for her whip and is not overly concerned with who is at the receiving end of it.
- Dead Fic: Has not been updated since February 2013.
- Disability Superpower: While Artie is an excellent Earthbender in his own right, his inability to walk has led to him developing a way of traveling using his Earthbending skills to slide along the ground, rather than relying on the chair. This, and his con artist/thieving skills, make him particularly good at sneaking around and spying to get information when it is necessitated by Team Avatar.
- Door Stopper: Currently clocks in at seventy-five chapters and almost seven hundred thousand words.
- Elemental Powers: Given one half of this story's inspiration this is a given
- Kurt is a native Waterbender, as well as the Avatar. Finn is also a Waterbender (and a Healer).
- Jesse, Brittany, and Rachel are all Airbenders.
- Artie and Mercedes are both Earthbenders.
- Sue, Quinn, Blaine, Wes, David, The Chi-Ryus, and all of the Dalton students, are all Firebenders.
- Elite Mooks: The Chi-Ryus are extremely well trained and pose an actually challenge to Team Avatar.
- Emotional Powers: Blaine's firebending is tied closely with his happiness befitting his fighting style; his father's death takes away his firebending and confront it brings it back, during a workout with his father he even manages to bend blue fire.
- Evil Chancellor: Sue starts out as one, then quickly graduates to The Usurper.
- Five Man Band: The major heros form this dynamic.
- Gilded Cage: Blaine viewed the Fire Nation palace as this. A happier version as he had good parents and could escape when he really wanted to.
- Good Parents: Burt Hummel, Rachel's adoptive parents, and Blaine's Father Lord are all examples.
- Guys Smash, Girls Shoot: Gender Flipped in the case of Sebastian, who is The Archer, and Mercedes, who is effectively The Big Guy.
- Hands-On Approach: This is how Blaine goes about teaching Kurt Firebending and breathing techniques to help with it.
- He's Back: Blaine in the appropriately titled chapter, the Phoenix Prince
Kurt: That, my dear is a comeback. Let me show you how it works.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: The entire main crew, notably Kurt, who is apparently a dinosaur who was responsible for the destruction of the Fire Nation capital and death of the Fire Lord.
- Hilariously lampshaded when it's shown that it's Sue who is responsible for this
Sue: I have malicious libel to commit and I want every set of hands on a printing press! These lies won't spread themselves!
- Large Ham: Sue
- Orphan's Ordeal: Blaine still isn't completely over his father's death at Sue's hands.
- Physical God: Kurt.
- Personality Powers: Double Subverted with Blaine. At first he seems easy-going and carefree, subverting the Firebender stereotype. Then it's shown that Blaine is incredibly reckless, stubborn and Hot-Blooded, running off by himself into dangerous situations which usually ends with someone else suffering the consequences.
- The Plague: The main threat facing the world. As the Avatar, Kurt has to find a way to stop it. Fire Lord Sue wants to stop the plague, too, but has a very different idea of how to do it.
- Protectorate: Parvarotti, Blaine's messenger hawk, is very protective of him—and tends to treat others with hostility
- Quirky Miniboss Squad: Santana, Puck, and Quinn.
- She Is the King: Sue, when she ascends to the throne.
- She-Fu: Blaine uses this in a Rare Male Example. His firebending is notably more fluid and improvised than most firebenders, incorporating Combat Parkour, flips, spins and Blaine goofing around mid-battle.
- The Chi-Ryu's, being cheerleaders in the original show, also incorporate a lot of jumps, spins and flips but only during practice. During battle, they're very straightforward and aggressive.
- Shout-Out: The story is littered with reference to the original Glee and Avatar, Team Starkid and occasionally some other pop-culture references.
- The past Avatar are all celebrities: Avatar Gaga, Avatar Groban.....
- Spirit Advisor: As the Avatar, Kurt has a slew of them. The only ones we've seen are the two immediately previous to KurtóAvatar Gaga and Avatar Groban.
- Surprise Pregnancy: Quinn, just as in Glee. Unlike Glee, however, the father is not yet known.
- Survivor's Guilt: Sebastian, having survived the Plague.
- These Hands Have Killed: Blaine, after attacking a soldier who tried to stop him escaping after the assassination attempt on Sue.
- What Could Have Been: See All There in the Manual. Dropped or cut plans include Tina more or less being the 'verse's Batman, a subplot with Dave as a bloodbender, and more.