Fanfic / Sunshine And Fire
Sunshine and Fire
is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Fan Fic
. It starts in normal old Equestria, with an attempt to banish Celestia into another dimension that leads to Twilight, Luna, Celestia, the conspirator and Spike all getting thrown in a different Equestria altogether. They find themselves in a land of eternal day, where the sun beats down mercilessly, and the moon is gone. Each of the heroes (traitor aside) from another realm sets to work to end this oppressive day, and Twilight attempts to recreate history by gathering her old friends to use the Elements of Harmony.
What sets this fic apart from others is the strong storytelling, as well as trying to connect the dots of history and World Building
on what a world of eternal day would be like. Throw in some battles, Angst
from all the dimension travelers, and of course, The Power of Friendship
, and that gives you Sunshine and Fire. Story currently in progress.
Page under construction. Story found here
on fanfiction.net or here
Note: in an effort to keep the characters straight, all characters from the old universe have their proper name. Those from the alternate universe have the label Sunshine on them
Tropes associated with this Fanfic:
- Action Girl: Luna establishes herself as this when she fights off 1000 soldiers on her own, and Applejack and Rainbow Dash also qualify.
- Action Survivor: Twilight Sparkle.
- Alternate Universe: Obviously the Sunshine world is one for Twilight and friends.
- Always Chaotic Evil: The Dragon Matriarch herself thinks this of dragons, pointing out how, for all their powers, dragons have achieved absolutely nothing as a species, merely preying on the culture of other races like giant parasites. She thinks so little of her own kind that she refuses the team's offer to help find a cure for the Sterility Plague that is afflicting dragonkind, thinking it's best for the world if dragons are just wiped out. Then comes The Reveal that she actually helped create and disseminate the plague in the first place. She hates other dragons that badly.
- Big Bad: Daymare Sun AKA Sunshine Celestia.
- Blood Knight: Redsky is this, with a lot of Ax-Crazy thrown in for good measure. She also vaguely resembles Fluttershy, make of that what you will.
- Boomerang Bigot: The Dragon Matriarch has so little regard for her own species that she directly helped cause the dragons' Sterility Plague.
- Brainwashed: If a colt or filly gets a cutie mark that suggests a particularly powerful or useful talent, they are taken away from their family and brainwashed into ruthless agents for the Queen. Since this process is done with a combination of propaganda and magic at an early age, it's probably not reversible.
- Break the Cutie: The years have not been kind on Sunshine Fluttershy.
- Buffy Speak: When Luna creates a massive storm, Sunshine Rarity and Applejack remark that the air feels "not hot". Justified, as they have little idea what words like cold and whatnot mean.
- Crapsack World: Despite its name, Sunshine!Equestria is a horrible, horrible place.
- Dark Fic: This is not a light read. Dying of thirst is a common thing in the Sunshine universe, political infighting is common as are murders, reeducation, and treason both direct and indirect happens a lot.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Both Canon Luna and Sunshine Luna fill this role. In a world where shadows offer protection and relief from the sun, this is almost a default position.
- Death World: When Twilight and Spike land in a desert, they're briefly ambushed by gigantic scorpions. And of course, there's the blistering heat the Sunshine ponies have to deal with.
- Democracy Is Flawed: This is very much Celestia's opinion. In the end, she believes that democracies are simply too prone to inefficiency, corruption, mob justice and infighting to work.
- Deconstruction: This fic deconstructs the notion of Princess Celestia being a tyrant. While she's naturally not perfect, she is nonetheless a caring ruler who only wants the best for her ponies, treating them all equally. Daymare Sun on the other hand, is a full-out tyrant and knows it, and she virtually encourages the low station of earth ponies in Sunshine Equestria.
- The Dragon: Daylight Sparkle. Not only is she Daymare Sun's personal student, but her heir as well.
- Domed Hometown: Trottingham has a ramshackle wooden dome built around it to shield it from the sunlight.
- Dystopia Justifies the Means: Daymare Sun openly admits she is a tyrant in the actions she takes on her ponies.
- Evil Mentor: Queen Celestia to Daylight Sparkle.
- Evil Overlord: Queen Celestia.
- Endless Daytime: As a result of Sunshine Celestia going evil, destroying the moon, and using magic to warp the sun's rays around the world so it's day everywhere regardless of the sun's actual position.
- The Empire: What Sunshine Equestria has become under Queen Celestia.
- Failure Hero: The Forgotten Princess, Princess Luna. In the main universe, Celestia defeated Luna-turned-Nightmare Moon and sealed her away for a thousand years. In this universe, Luna failed to defeat Daymare Sun.
- Fantastic Racism: There are some severe social divides in the Sunshine world, with unicorns and pegasi at the top of society and earth ponies at the bottom, as they are "without Celestia's gifts". Non-ponies get it even worse, being treated as barely above animals or, as with the dragons in the service of the Secret Police, outright enslaved.
- Faux Affably Evil: Queen Celestia/Daymare Sun. Her affection for Daylight Sparkle is merely a leash she can tug at to control her, and she equates conquering new worlds to"making new friends."
- Five-Bad Band: We have Sunshine Celestia/Daymare Sun as the Big Bad, Daylight Sparkle is The Dragon, PM Gelding is the Evil Genius, Redsky as The Brute and Sunshine Blueblood is The Dark Chick.
- Foil: Each of the sunshine characters are this to their canon counterparts.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: Sunshine Celestia/Daymare Sun, natch.
- Happy Rain: Played with. When Luna creates the first large cloud that ponies have seen in centuries, she thinks they would be happy for the shade and water it gives. Instead, they hide indoors, nervous of both the rain and what Daymare Sun will do to them if/when she finds out.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Sunshine Soarin takes a deadly magical bolt meant for Sunshine Rarity.
- Honor Before Reason: The griffons, who will not even cast the first blow towards the legions of Equestrian soldiers primed to invade.
- I Did What I Had to Do: Twilight is downright horrified when Sunshine!Rainbow Dash kills Agent Striker, and even calls her out on her brutality. Sunshine!Dash states this in response.
- Irony: Brainy Bright threw Celestia into the portal, thinking she was an oppressive tyrant, and Equestria needed to be liberated from her. He gets pulled into the portal himself though and ends up in an Equestria ruled by a tyrannical caricature of Princess Celestia, who will force him to build a portal to his own Equestria, so it can be conquered by her .
- It's Personal: Sunshine!Fluttershy only decides to join the group after finding out that Big Macintosh (whom she's involved with) has been captured by the Royal Guards.
- Just Like Robin Hood: Rainbow Dash in this universe is very akin to this. Twilight remarks on her similarity to the legends of "Robin Hoof."
- La Résistance: The Apple Underground, a resistance movement fighting against Queen Celestia's tyranny started by the Apple Family. It's stated similar movements exist among other species Equestria subjugated, such as the zebras, camels and caribou.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Brainy Bright believed Princess Celestia was an evil tyrant, so he ends up trapping her, as well as Twilight, Spike and Princess Luna in an alternate universe. When he himself ends up there, he is discriminated against for being an earth pony, locked up in a squalid prison and is drafted into building a portal to his Equestria by Daymare Sun, who will no doubt oppress his Equestria even worse than he ever accused Princess Celestia of doing.
- Layered Metropolis: Trottingham. The top layer, built on the limestone pillars holding up the city's dome, is home to the unicorns and pegasi. On the ground below there is the crowded, dirty shantytown where the earth ponies live. Below that, unknown to the upper crust, there is a network of tunnels and abandoned mines where La Résistance hides out.
- Light Is Not Good: In Sunshine Equestria, if the ever-present light is associated with anything it's with the tyrannical Queen Celestia, her despotic rule, and thirst and deprivation.
- Maligned Mixed Marriage: It's strongly discouraged in Sunshine Equestria for Unicorns and Pegasi to canoodle with Earth Ponies.
- Mauve Shirt: Soarin.
- Meaningful Name: Prime Minister Gelding. A gelding is a castrated horse. PM Gelding's horn has been broken off, rendering him unable to use magic anymore.
- Merlin Sickness: A temporary form affects those who enter the Backwards Mountain, where time flows backwards. It slows down over time, so you won’t pass your birth and vanish, and the effects are reversed when you leave.
- Mistaken Identity: A staple of the fic, as everyone on first glance takes Twilight to be Daylight, her Evil Counterpart in the sunshine world.
- Moral Dissonance: Highly discussed after Sunshine Rainbow Dash kills a mage (one of Daymare Sun's agents) who they had defeated.