Sunshine and Fire is a My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Fan Fic
. It starts in normal old Equestria, with an attempt to banish Celestia into another dimension that leads to Twilight, Luna, Celestia, the conspirator and Spike all getting thrown in a different Equestria altogether. They find themselves in a land of eternal day, where the sun beats down mercilessly, and the moon is gone. Each of the heroes (traitor aside) from another realm sets to work to end this oppressive day, and Twilight attempts to recreate history by gathering her old friends to use the Elements of Harmony.
What sets this fic apart from others is the strong storytelling, as well as trying to connect the dots of history and World Building
on what a world of eternal day would be like. Throw in some battles, Angst
from all the dimension travelers, and of course, The Power of Friendship
, and that gives you Sunshine and Fire. Story currently in progress.
As this is a new page, feel free to add to this page with more tropes, trivia and links. Story found here
on fanfiction.net or here
Note: in an effort to keep the characters straight, all characters from the old universe have their proper name. Those from the alternate universe have the label Sunshine on them
Tropes associated with this Fanfic:
- Action Girl
- Luna establishes herself as this when she fights off 1000 soldiers on her own, and Applejack and Rainbow Dash also qualify.
- Action Survivor: Twilight Sparkle.
- Alternate Universe: Obviously the Sunshine world is one for Twilight and friends.
- Big Bad: Daymare Sun AKA Sunshine Celestia.
- Brainwashed: If a colt or filly gets a cutie mark that suggests a particularly powerful or useful talent, they are taken away from their family and brainwashed into ruthless agents for the Queen. Since its done since foalhood with a combination of propaganda and magic, its probably not reversible.
- Break the Cutie: The years have not been kind on Sunshine Fluttershy.
- Crapsack World: The Sunshine Universe, and how!
- Dark Fic: This is not a light read. Dying of thirst, political infighting, murders, reeducation, treason both direct and indirect.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Both Canon Luna and Sunshine Luna fill this role, even if Sunshine Luna might be dead. In a world where shadows offer protection and relief from the sun, this is almost a default position.
- The Dragon: Daylight Sparkle. Not only is she Daymare Sun's personal student, but her heir as well.
- Driving Question: If you squint, that question is "Why was Celestia the one to turn evil and not Luna?"
- Domed Hometown: Trottingham has a ramshackle wooden dome to shield it from sunlight.
- Dystopia Justifies the Means: Daymare Sun openly admits she is a tyrant in the actions she takes on her ponies.
- Evil Mentor
- Evil Overlord: Queen Celestia.
- Endless Daytime
- The Empire
- Failure Hero: The Forgotten Princess, Princess Luna. In the main universe, Celestia defeated Luna-turned-Nightmare Moon and sealed her away for a thousand years. In this universe, Luna failed to defeat Daymare Sun.
- Fantastic Racism: There are some severe social divides in the Sunshine world with Earth Ponies getting the worst of it as they are "without Celestia's gifts".
- Five-Man Band
- Foil: Each of the sunshine characters are this to their canon counterparts.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: Sunshine Celestia/Daymare Sun, natch.
- Happy Rain: Played with. When Luna creates the first large cloud that ponies have seen in centuries, she thinks they would be happy for the shade and water it gives. Instead, they hide indoors, nervous of both the rain and what Daymare Sun will do to them if/when she finds out.
- Heroic BSOD
- Heroic Sacrifice
- I Did What I Had to Do: Twilight is downright horrified when Sunshine!Rainbow Dash kills Agent Striker, and even calls her out on he brutality. Sunshine!Dash states this in response.
- Just Like Robin Hood: Rainbow Dash in this universe is very akin to this. Twilight remarks on her similarity to the legends of "Robin Hoof."
- Light Is Not Good: Daymare Sun obviously.
- Maligned Mixed Marriage: It's strongly discouraged in Sunshine Equestria for Unicorns and Pegasi to canoodle with Earth Ponies.
- Mauve Shirt: Soarin'.
- Meaningful Name: Prime Minister Gelding. A gelding is a castrated horse. PM Gelding's horn has been broken off, rendering him unable to use magic anymore.
- Mistaken Identity: A staple of the fic, as everyone on first glance takes Twilight to be Daylight, her Evil Counterpart in the sunshine world.
- Moral Dissonance: Highly discussed after Sunshine Rainbow Dash kills a mage (one of Daymare Sun's agents) who they had defeated.
- Morality Kitchen Sink
- The Obi-Wan: Both Celestia and Luna act like this to Twilight.
- Rebel Leader: Sunshine Applejack, leader of the Apple Underground.
- Sterility Plague: The Draconic Ovistasis is a variant of this. It doesn't render dragons sterile, but it makes their eggs impossible to hatch without the aid of magic.
- Underground Railroad
- What the Hell, Hero?: Most notably when Sunshine Rainbow Dash kills agent Striker. See Moral Dissonance and I Did What I Had to Do above.