Fanfic: Ultimate Video Rumble
The Ultimate Video Rumble
(or UVR for short) is a Mega Crossover
tournament-style fanfic, taking characters from fighting games such as Street Fighter
, The King of Fighters
, and Mortal Kombat
and pitting them against each other in a huge contest in a competition not unlike a Royal Rumble found in professional wrestling. Basically, each "Section" is made up of the twenty people currently in the ring, and the reading public votes on which ten people will stay in the arena to welcome to next wave of fighters so the public can vote again. This continues until there is only one left.
The first tournament was strictly a tournament, having no interaction between characters outside of the ring. This tournament also consisted of the smallest roster of the three (around 120 characters), and the eventual win went to Haohmaru of Samurai Shodown
The second and third tournaments added a side story to the tournament, and how several of the games' villains were pooling their resources together to pull off some evil scheme that somehow involved some of the other characters in the tournament. These subplots included additional fights that happened "backstage", the outcomes of which were also voted upon. The winner of the second tournament was Guy of Final Fight
while the winner of the third was Geese Howard of Fatal Fury
(the Bad Guys got beat both times overall, too).
Responsibilities of the tournament traded hands several times over the course of the three fanfics and it appears that the third tournament has been the last. In addition, the site that originally contained the tournaments has since gone down, taking them with it (it can still be found on the Wayback Machine here
, at the moment, but it died before the third tournament completed). UVR2 is still available in its complete form here
for now, again alongside a partial UVR3. And the closest thing to a complete UVR3 can be found, again, on the Wayback Machine here
. The final section and epilogue of UVR3 can be found here
, along with supplemental material for the never-released Ultimate Video Rumble 4. There are also additional caches scattered around containing bits and pieces of all three tournaments.
The UVR has inspired several spinoffs
, but only a select few have seen completion.
These stories provide examples of...
- A God Am I: Demitri in the second tournament, and M. Bison in the third.
- Anyone Can Die: In the ring, anyone can literally get ripped to pieces...
- ... but then be magically restored to normal after their elimination, so this is technically subverted.
- An Explanation: The first UVR had the ring surrounded by a moat of acid from Mortal Kombat II. EVERYBODY who didn't win got a fatal acid bath (Except Larcen Tyler), but was later shown just fine in the stands. The second and third rumbles featured a Dimensional Barrier, which sent eliminated fighters into a random universe, usually right in front of something nasty. Like in the first, they were brought back to the dome in one piece (to continue with the subplot, of course).
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: The third tournament briefly brings us Apocalypse, who is so big that he can't fit in the arena and it takes EVERYONE in the ring to get rid of him.
- In the second UVR, six fighters land in the Dungeons & Dragons:Tower of Doom game in the same round... and nothing happens. Birdman, the head UVR organizer and announcer, is told that the fighters have been sent there because something big might happen in the next few minutes. Cue the gigantic dragon that incinerates five of them in one blast. Wan-Fu, however, pummels the crap out of it.
- Author Avatar: The organizers and staff of the rumble.
- Author Existence Failure: Ultimate Video Rumble 4 was being planned, but it never saw the light of day, save for some material published here. Chances are, Real Life took over the writers' lives.
- Big Bad: Shao Khan in the inagural UVR, Demitri in the second tournament; M. Bison in the third.
- Big Damn Heroes: The second and third tournaments each had a ragtag group of characters joining forces to take down the Big Bad just before the evil scheme is about to be complete.
- Berserk Button: Whatever you do, don't tell The Silver Samurai he sucks or even say the WORD around him. He WILL destroy you. Also, don't call Ryoko cute (she is, but never ever say that to her face).
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Morrigan uses her succubus powers to brainwash several hapless fighters into serving her and fighting the heroes in both the second and third tournaments.
- Butt Monkey: The majority of the cast of World Heroes.
- Eddy Gordo in UVR 3. Probably a bigger Butt Monkey than the World Heroes, the War Gods, and the Time Killers combined. He might also be classified as an Iron Buttmonkey. Let's recap:
- To start, Eddy gets eliminated in the first round and is sent to Quake II. He dies at least 43 times in the span of 10 minutes.
- Immediately after Eddy's elimination (but before the aforementioned Curb-Stomp Battle), a terrorist organization raises an insanely large amount of money to create the "Keep Eddy Gordo Dead" fund. Birdman uses the money to keep Eddy circulating between video game worlds for the rest of the evening.
- His next destination is Silent Hill. He is promptly slaughtered by demons.
- Then it's on to Chu Chu Rocket. He defeated all of the cats, and was on his way to the rocket... and then True Ogre drops in (see Took a Level in Badass below) and starts bleeding. And then the mice start drinking the blood. What happens next ain't pretty.
- After Grendal is eliminated, he lands in Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?. Take one guess as to who's playing with Regis before Grendal kills everything in the studio.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is the next stop on Eddy's journey of pain. He manages to break into the Technodrome, eliminate every last Foot Ninja, and even manages to kill Krang, Rocksteady, and Bebop at the same time. Eddy celebrates his long-awaited good fortune... only to get stabbed in the back by Shredder.
- Finally, he gets into a massive brawl with Chang Koehan that spills into multiple worlds throughout the final rounds. It ends when, in the world of Twisted Metal Black, Eddy is crushed by a belly flop from Chang.
- According to the epilogue, Eddy died 364 times throughout the night. He suffered so much psychological damage that he hired a lawyer to sue the UVR organizers for breach of contract (a fighter can only die once after being eliminated, according to the contracts).
- Also in UVR 3, the War Gods. As an example, Tak only manages to survive for two whole seconds before Juggernaut punches him so hard that he explodes. Yes, you read that right. TWO SECONDS.
- In all three UVR's, every Time Killer except Rancid...
- at least until UVR 3, when he is eliminated relatively quickly compared to his last two outings.
- Catch Phrase: Wan-Fu basically spends the entirety of the second tournament yelling "YOU!" while beating people with his Pillar of Pain.
- Rancid frequently uttered "Mommy!" in the first two tournaments when anyone decided to eliminate him.
- Scorpion just loves to use "GET OVER HERE!" throught the tournaments.
- Haohmaru, whenever he talks (and boy, does he TALK), tends to include the words "HA!" and "Legendary".
- "I'M NUMBAHHHH ONE!" - Muscle Power and Brian Battler.
- In UVR 3, Kenshi begins almost every sentence with "Now, I may be blind..."
- Calling Your Attacks: Many, many fighters do this in all three tournaments.
- Characterization Marches On: Morrigan and Demitri work together in the second and third tournaments, written long before anybody found out that they are actually enemies.
- Cloudcuckoolander / Pop Cultured Badass: Yoshimitsu. He has a tendency to constantly make random quotes from pop culture.
- Many of the voter responses throughout all three UVR's also qualify.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: RANCID. He basically runs around, screaming like a little girl, and then manages to decapitate and/or mutilate anyone who gets in his way. He has been the only Time Killer to ever get an elimination in any of the three tournaments. Subverted in UVR 3, when he was eliminated quickly. Winning a bonus battle didn't help, either.
- Crowd Chant: In the first UVR, the crowd insults the Virtua Fighters by chanting "CUBES SUCK! CUBES SUCK!" Briefly changed to "POLLYGUNS SUCK!" (actual spelling) when Wolf chastises the heckler who started the chant.
- The "WAR GODS SUCK!" chant mentioned above. Even the cameraman gets in on it!
- Curb-Stomp Battle: The first tournament had the eventual winner (Haohmaru) enter very early, dominate the rest of the tournament and win with a staggering 22 eliminations, a record that was never matched in either of the following tournaments by anyone.
- Eddy's Quake II battle in UVR 3 may also qualify. He managed to kill some players, until they all decided to work together and kill him.
- Falcon enters as a Mystery Fighter in the third tournament, promptly turns into his super mode and blasts everybody in the ring with his arsenal. The instant the power wears off, however, everyone else promptly beats him down.
- Because of what he tried to do in the previous tournament, the UVR organizers "randomly" drew Demitri Maximov as the first entry. Guess who almost everyone decides to go after for the first few rounds.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: In the third tournament, Chang Koehan scores his only elimination in all three tournaments against TRUE OGRE.
- Duel to the Death: Mitsurugi vs Hol Horse. Occurs because Mitsurugi is jealous that Hol Horse, an inexperienced cowboy, is doing much better than people who are skilled with swords.
- Eldritch Abomination: Rancid becomes one after stupidly picking up some cursed ore from a War God after beating him in a Side Battle. Rancid spends the majority of the third tournament in a huge, powerful form that he doesn't want in the first place.
- Extreme Omnivore: Chang Koehan. The third tournament also includes Kirby.
- Gilligan Cut: Towards the end of the third tournament, The Hulk decides to take on Geese Howard. He charges at Geese... and we cut to , with Hulk bellowing in rage. He then decides to hitchhike to the nearest town. Cue this.
- Killed Mid-Sentence: This happens to Muscle Power in the first torunament. Within seconds of entering the ring.
- "I'M NUMBAAAGGGGGGH!" (falls into acid)
- Essentially, anyone who utters the phrase "I'M NUMBAHHHH ONE!" in any UVR will be slaughtered before the event is over.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Mystery Fighter Hol Horse in the third Rumble. He used his Stand to distract other opponents, eliminated two fan-favorite characters (Kirby and Yoshimitsu), and shot Captain America in the gut. It was inevitable that he would be eliminated in a quick and painful manner. It got even more painful when Mitsurugi jumped into the elimination portal after him and killed him in a duel. (See Duel to the Death above.)
- Motor Mouth: Haohmaru and Genjuro of Samurai Shodown LOVE to talk. Every time either of them talk, they get at least three full lines of text. This was based off a Running Gag in previous works by the authors and their fandom circle.
- Mushroom Samba: Chang Koehan in the world of Parappa The Rapper.
- No Indoor Voice: Haohmaru again. All of his text is done in ALLCAPS.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: Again, Haohmaru and Genjuro. They see each other in the ring and they drop whatever it is they're doing to fight.
- Running Gag: The second and third tournaments involve one character ingesting a large amount of medication, leading to comedic hallucinations. In the second tournament, it happens to Athena, but in the third, it happens to RYU.
- The second rumble had a habit of sending many fighters to the Smurf Village. Naturally, they came to complain about it before the third. So the organizers put them in miniaturized Virtuaroids and hired them to be security.
- Second Place Is for Losers: Bishamon, who was the final elimination in both the first and second rumbles.
- The Bad Guy Wins: Geese winning the third UVR (even people who voted for him were surprised he actually won)
- Thinking Up Portals: The third Rumble introduces Asmodeus, who appears in the ring via a demonic portal. It also keeps him mounted to the mat, which proves to be a challenge to everyone trying to eliminate him. Then he brushes up against the force field around the ring...
- Took a Level in Badass: Chang Koehan in the third tournament. After spending the first two tournaments getting the lowest number of votes, his popularity skyrocketed in the third, which starts after a side battle concludes in him eating Shuma-Gorath (let me say that again: CHANG KOEHAN defeats, cooks and EATS SHUMA-GORATH). Afterward, he enters the ring, scores an elimination (against TRUE OGRE) and spends the rest of the tournament demolishing unusual opponents in different worlds. And he did it all in a comedic fashion.
WHO WILL LIVE?
WHO WILL DIE?
WHO WILL BE THE NEXT TROPER TO EDIT THIS PAGE?