Monster trying to get its teeth into you? Here's an unusual solution; force the creature's jaws apart until they break.
Oddly, this is almost always portrayed as causing instantaneous death (in which case it's usually taken to be a "cooler"
version of a Neck Snap
), when it should leave them alive but in crotch-stompingly horrible pain.
For some reason, reptilian monsters are especially prone to this.
A nastier variant
is to simply tear the jaw off altogether.
open/close all folders
- In 52, after Sobek's true colors are revealed, Black Adam finishes him off this way.
- Pictured to the right: in an issue of The Walking Dead, upon being tackled by a zombie, Cesar Martinez sticks his hand in its mouth and breaks its jaw before it can bite his fingers. Okay he had gloves on, but still.
- In Secret Six, Jeanette breaks King Shark's jaw this way. Somewhat subverted, as this doesn't kill him, but it obviously leaves him in excruciating pain.
- Thragg does this to Dinosaurus in an issue of Invincible, but he lives.
- Superior Spider-Man mangled Scorpion's jaw, though it was later repaired by Alistair Smythe.
- Jason seemingly rips a police officer's jawbone out in Friday the 13th: How I Spent My Summer Vacation.
- King Kong's signature move. He does it to dinosaurs and giant snakes in the 30s version, the 70s version, the 00s version and the video game based on it.
- Mecha-Godzilla does this to Anguirus in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla. He lives, though.
- Derek kills a man in a disturbing scene in American History X with a curb stomp.
- One of the deaths in Mirrors.
- Yoko in The Grudge suffers this, as does Kanna in Ju-on. The third The Grudge film shows that Gretchen also suffers this fate.
- The "reverse beartrap" in Saw, one of the series' mainstay traps. Unusually for Saw, everyone put in it manages to escape until the sixth movie, and even then Hoffman manages to jam it and escape with half a Glasgow Grin. In the next (and final) movie, he gets his revenge using the original model. Game over.
- The Leprechaun rips a woman's upper jaw out (to get the tooth she made out of his gold) in Leprechaun: Back 2 tha Hood.
- The now zombified main character in Sella Turcica kills his brother by ripping his lower jaw out. Quite nasty◊.
- A character is killed by having his jaw yanked out with a pickaxe in My Bloody Valentine 3D.
- There's a jaw ripping with a claw hammer in Killing Spree.
- Hellboy tries this on the first Sammael he fights. Sammy responds by effortlessly snapping its jaw back in place.
- Chucky whacks Ian's mandible off with an axe in Curse Of Chucky.
- Like the above, there's an axe to the jaw in Blood Night: The Legend of Mary Hatchet, though in that case the mandible isn't completely removed.
- In Hercules (2014), Hercules kills an attacking wolf this way.
Live Action Television
- In the Spartacus: Gods of the Arena episode "The Bitter End", Gannicus rams a spear into Caburus' mouth, and then pulls until his lower jaw comes off.
- The Adventures of Dr. McNinja: Doc does it to a zombie. Since it was undead, it doesn't really kill the thing, but it does prevent it from biting him.
- He doesn't stop with just removing the jaw, though. He proceeds to punch through it's spinal column, which is the part that kills it.
- Part 4 of The Sacrifice has one of Bill's surgeons turn just as he's getting anesthetics. The ensuing struggle between her and the doctor has him tear her jaw off before she kills him and moves on to Bill.