"Enemy: I hope you die. Me: I hope you step on a Lego in the dark. Enemy: *gasps* take that back!"Primarily an Animation Trope, but has been known to turn up in other places, Agony of the Feet is a trope particular to Amusing Injuries. A character is minding his own business and someone (or himself) drops something heavy on his foot, or he's angry about something and kicks the source of his frustration a little too hard. Or she's angered a cute kid and the kid kicks her (in the shins/stomps on her foot). Or there's a misstep, resulting in a stubbed toe... Or you stepped on Caltrops or something else sharp on the floor...you get the idea. A common live-action variant is a character buying shoes too small for their feet, either through foolish pride of refusing to admit that they have large feet or being too cheap to buy full price, insisting that their low-price leather shoes will extend with wear. Whatever the situation, the result is the same. The character in question ends up hopping on one foot while clutching the other one, shouting in Angrish for a few seconds to indicate their pain. Variants can occur with other body parts, but some part of the foot or leg is most common. This is likely because the foot is considered one of the body's more vulnerable areas, and while foot injuries can be extremely painful, they're hardly ever life threatening. For situations in which the knee itself is injured, see Knee-capping. Not to be confused with the agony of defeat or "Agony of Defeet."
- Anime and Manga
- Comic Books
- Animated Films
- Live-Action Films
- Live-Action TV
- Video Games
- Web Comics
- Western Animation
open/close all folders
- Calvin and Hobbes has a strip where the title characters hear a crashing noise on Christmas Eve and assume it's Santa. They listen to see if they can hear what he's saying. Cut to the living room:
Calvin's Dad: (stands on one leg, clutching his foot after dropping a heavy present on it) Slippin'-rippin'-dang-fang-rotten-zarg-barg-a-ding-dong!
Calvin's Mom: Quiet dear! Calvin will hear you!
- Calvin and Hobbes: The Series
- Calvin does this after attempting to kick a door down.
- Socrates later does it in "Surge" while tripping over stuff in the dark.
- In Ditzy Doo's Dismally Derpy Day , Ditzy is kicking clumps of dirt and mistakes a half-buried rock for one. She cracks a hoof up to the quick.
- Dirty Sympathy Machi tries to get Klavier to release his arm by stomping on the man's foot. It doesn't work as Klavier is wearing motorcycle boots and ends up hurting his own feet.
- There's a real lovely moment in Warbound Widow where Jane Crocker gets all the flesh on the sole of her feet melted off while being subjected to Cold-blooded Torture.
- There's an old Axis Powers Hetalia fanon that has Taiwan subjected to footbinding during the time she lived with Imperial China. It has sometimes popped up in fanfiction and fanart.
- Although it can't be seen in the finished video, the behind-the-scenes for Lindsey Stirling's "Elements" shows it was rather painful to make; she wore thin sandals in a forest full of prickly plants, and had to dance and spin barefoot on a salt flat.
- Train's music video for "50 Ways to Say Goodbye" sees this happen to Taryn Manning. After stepping on a pin, she clutches her foot and hops in pain, causing her to trip and falls down some stairs.
- White Water has the Bigfoot Hot Foot, where a lit match between Bigfoot's toes is used to distract him, allowing the player to sneak into his cave.
- In February 1995, there was a battle royal on WWF TV. During the match, Jerry Lawler went over the top rope and landed on one foot (the rule is a wrestler has to go over the top rope and have both feet touch the ground to be eliminated. Lawler hopped around ringside on one foot avoiding the other wrestlers until Bret Hart came down to ringside and stomped on Lawler's foot, causing him to put his other foot down and officially be eliminated. For weeks afterwards, when Lawler was appearing on commentary, he was shown with his one foot bandaged.
- On Saturday Nights Main Event, Jake "the Snake" Roberts faced Kamala. During the match, Jake repeatedly stomped on Kamala's bare feet.
- A quick comedic moment came on the third Ring of Honor show Low Ki and then new comer AJ Styles tried to kick each other at the same time and instead sent each other's ankles together, causing them both to stagger.
- "A barefoot match" is a rare gimmick match usually played for laughs. LLF Noche Extrema Vol. 8, which featured a tag team extreme rules barefoot match was played a bit more seriously though.
- In a 2014 match, Joey Ryan pulled off Matt Jackson's shoe and then dropped him onto a pile of thumbtacks.
- At Payback 2015, Rusev tried to stomp on John Cena, but Cena rolled out of the way and Rusev's foot hit the steel steps, making him stagger and clutch it.
- Just missing the hop in Bleak Expectations: Protagonist Pip Bin is meeting with the King of England and having a nice conversation when the king suddenly yells out in pain.
King: Arrgghh, the pain, the damnable pain! Sorry, it's just this gout, it feels exactly like a child stabbing me in the foot with a fork.Pip Bin: Umm... Sire, you do have a small child stabbing you in the foot with a fork.King: Yes, I know that. The gout is in the other foot. The child is to equalize the pain across both feet.King: Arrrgggh, the pain, the damnable pain! Sorry, it's just this child stabbing me in the foot with a fork. Feels just like gout. Aaaaggghhhh, the gout! Aaagggh the child!
- A gag in the stage version of Animal Crackers (not included in the movie version) involves this during the scene where Chico and Harpo plan to steal the painting, and Harpo has the fold-up latter set upside-down.
Chico: You gotta put in on da feet first.(Harpo slams the ladder down on Chico's foot)Chico: AAUGH! Not my feet!(Harpo slams the ladder down on his own foot and hops in pain)Chico: Not your feet, the ladder's feet.
- Played for Drama despite the semi-comic singing of the scene in The Magic Flute. Monastatos brags about having captured Papageno and Tamina, as they were escaping, and Sarastro "rewards" him with "only seventy-seven strokes on the soles".
- The Atari 5200 episode in The Angry Video Game Nerd has James picking up an old TV. The cord for the plug gets caught in the radiator valve and as soon as he pulls it away from the window...
James: AHHHHHHHHHH!!! Fuck! Fuck! Fuck-fuck-fuck-fuck-fuck-fuck-fuck-fuck-fuck-fuck!
- During a battle in The Princess Thieves, Robin ends up without shoes and winds up cutting his feet up badly and has them stamped on by an opponent.
- In Smosh "Playing With Guns" Ian shoots Anthony's foot by accident, Ian tries to stop the bleeding by hammering it with a chisel. Then the whole thing was just a theoretical tale by Anthony to which he would only let Ian give him a piggyback ride if it happened. Ian then does it.
- In Worm, Skitter cuts off several of Bakuda's toes, as she was using toe rings to set off her bombs.
- In the Strong Bad Email "the process", the Cheat not only gives Bubs a hotfoot ("Ow! Hot mama!"), he stick Bubs' other foot in a nest of angry bees. ("Yeow! Hot bees!")