Tony: Ah, let me guess... You're that person in horror movie that decides that since all your friends are dead, you really need to go check out the demonic, breathing noise down in the basement.
: Well, it beats being the girl who twists her ankle and gets everybody else killed.
Any injury which causes a fleeing victim to fall or become slowed to allow a pursuer a better chance to catch up. If the injury is severe, another character may need to be depended upon for transportation (often in a fireman's carry), thus slowing down additional characters.
See also Broken Heel
. Contrast Dramatic Slip
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Happened to Teana on the first episode of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS, adding some complications to her B-Rank qualifying mage exam. Later gets mirrored in the last episodes of the season, though that one was less of a twisted ankle and more of a slashed up one courtesy of Deed.
- In the Library Island Story Arc of Mahou Sensei Negima!, this happened to Yue while the group was trying to get out of the place. Negi tried to give her a piggy-back only to immediately collapse under her weight. Huge Schoolgirl Kaede carried her instead.
- In the Umineko no Naku Koro ni VN, this was originally the reason Rosa decided to stay put and try to fight the goat-headed butlers. While she and Maria were running through the rose garden, Rosa tripped on the steps and broke her ankle, so she couldn't make it to the beach, which was originally her plan.
- This happens to Levi in Attack on Titan when he saved Mikasa from the Female Titan before taking Eren and retreating. This results to him, being sidelined in the subsequent battles.
- Parodied in Scary Movie, where a very Genre Savvy victim mocks this trope while demonstrating it in a very extreme manner to the increasingly horrified killer, complete with a sickening snap and a protruding fracture.
- In Monsters vs. Aliens a teenage boy twists his ankle (with the foot turned all the way around!) and has to be carried by his date.
- In Igor, Heidi fakes a twisted ankle to get Igor away from Eva.
- Resident Evil: Retribution. The housewife version of Alice hobbles out of a crashed car more slowly than the zombie horde charging up behind her, yet escapes into a nearby house due to a handy scene cut.
- V/H/S features two men in different segments (Clint in "Amateur Night" and Gary in "Tape 56") taking a tumble down the stairs and suffering a severe break while fleeing.
- Septimus Heap: In Flyte, it's a twisted ankle that slows down Septimus to the point that he gets almost taken by the wolverines.
- In Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Ginny injures her ankle while fighting in the Department of Mysteries. Luna helps her along for a while, but when most everyone in the group is incapacitated, Ginny's left on the ground, SOL.
Live Action TV
- Parodied in the Angry Beavers Halloween special "The Day the Whole World Got Really Screwed Up". In one scene, the beavers and a generic B-movie damsel-in-distress are trying to flee a horde of monsters, only for the woman to injure one ankle, then the other, then both at once somehow as the beavers try to help her along.
- It happens to Carly in one episode of The Transformers.