"This is highschool. What is a friend, anyway?"Jawbreaker
is a 1999 film directed by Darren Stein starring Rose McGowan
, Rebecca Gayheart, Julie Benz
, and Judy Greer
The movie starts with the popular girls of Reagan High fake-kidnapping one of their group, Liz Purr, as part of her seventeenth birthday, only to find when they arrive that she has choked to death on the jawbreaker that they used to gag her. Alpha Bitch
Courtney Shayne then leads the others to create an elaborate cover story that would paint Liz's death as an accident resulting from a kinky sexual encounter and get them off scot-free.
One of the girls, Julie Freeman, struggles to come to terms with what they've done and is summarily shunned by Courtney and her lapdog, Marcie Fox. On top of this, she is replaced by the geeky Fern Mayo who Courtney transforms into the glamourous Vylette in return for the girl's silence. But the attention lavished upon "Vylette" soon goes to Fern's head and she begins to encroach on Courtney's position as the Queen Bee, only to discover exactly why that was a bad idea as she is publicly humiliated. Meanwhile, when Julie is given a box of Liz's possessions, she stumbles upon something that will prove to be Courtney's downfall just as she prepares to accept the title of Prom Queen that Liz's death left her free to claim.
Tropes in this film include:
- Accidental Murder: Liz's cause of death? Being choked on with a jawbreaker that her friends (specifically, Courtney) used to gag her while fake-kidnapping her. It was also a great and lovely idea to use duct-tape to make her silent.
- Backstabbing the Alpha Bitch: Fern, as Vylette, once when she realizes that she has the power to overshadow Courtney, takes advantage of the attention given to her. That's when Courtney knocks her down a peg.
- Deadly Prank: The premise of the film. Courtney and the others were going to surprise Liz for her seventeeth birthday, while kidnapping her, since the prank has gotten popular with others high schoolers... until the "joke" was on them.
- Death by Sex: Courtney tries to set up Liz's death as such.
- Dumb Blonde: Marcie fits this to a T, being very much on The Ditz end of the scale.
- Erotic Eating: Courtney with her boyfriend, in a variant; as part of sex play, she makes him mime on a popsicle what he wants her to do to him.
- Meaningful Name: Fern. Lampshaded when she is renamed Vylette for this very reason.
- Narrator All Along: Fern, although it's not a huge surprise when you pay the slightest bit of attention in the first scene.
- Trunk Shot: When the girls want to surprise Liz in one of the first scenes of the movie.
- What an Idiot: Invoked in-universe, as this is pretty much Julie's reaction to Courtney upon learning she gagged Liz with a jawbreaker.