open/close all folders
- In 52, after Sobek's true colors are revealed, Black Adam finishes him off this way.
- Pictured to the right: in an issue of The Walking Dead, upon being tackled by a zombie, Cesar Martinez sticks his hand in its mouth and breaks its jaw before it can bite his fingers. Okay he had gloves on, but still.
- In Secret Six, Jeanette breaks King Shark's jaw this way. This doesn't kill him, but it obviously leaves him in excruciating pain.
- Thragg does this to Dinosaurus in an issue of Invincible, but he lives.
- Superior Spider-Man mangled Scorpion's jaw, though it was later repaired by Alistair Smythe.
- Jason seemingly rips a police officer's jawbone out in Friday the 13th: How I Spent My Summer Vacation.
- The protagonist of Big Man Plans ties a man to a chair, then wrenches out the upper part of his jaw with a wrench.
- King Kong's Signature Move. He does it to dinosaurs and giant snakes in the 30s version, the 70s version, the 00s version and the video game based on it.
- Mecha-Godzilla does this to Anguirus in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla. He lives, though.
- Derek kills a man in a disturbing scene in American History X with a curb stomp.
- One of the most horrifying deaths in Mirrors involves a poor woman getting her jaw ripped out by her own possessed reflection.
- Yoko in The Grudge suffers this, as does Kanna in Ju-on. The third The Grudge film shows that Gretchen also suffers this fate.
- The "reverse beartrap" in Saw, one of the series' mainstay traps. Unusually for Saw, everyone put in it manages to escape until the sixth movie, and even then Hoffman manages to jam it and escape with half a Glasgow Grin. In the next (and final) movie, he gets his revenge using the original model. Game over.
- The Leprechaun rips a woman's upper jaw out (to get the tooth she made out of his gold) in Leprechaun: Back 2 tha Hood.
- The now zombified main character in Sella Turcica kills his brother by ripping his lower jaw out. Quite nasty.
- A character is killed by having his jaw yanked out with a pickaxe in My Bloody Valentine 3D.
- There's a jaw ripping with a claw hammer in Killing Spree.
- Hellboy tries this on the first Sammael he fights. Sammy responds by effortlessly snapping its jaw back in place.
- Chucky whacks Ian's mandible off with an axe in Curse of Chucky.
- Like the above, there's an axe to the jaw in Blood Night: The Legend of Mary Hatchet, though in that case the mandible isn't completely removed.
- The 2014 version of Hercules has the eponymous character kill a wolf this way.
- Happens to several lycans throughout the Underworld series, including one getting his torn off by Michael after being thrown into a car.
- Wishmaster: The Djinn uses his powers to make a man go on a batshit crazy killing spree in a police station, which includes ripping out one cop's lower jaw with his bare hands.
Live Action Television
- In the Spartacus: Gods of the Arena episode "The Bitter End", Gannicus rams a spear into Caburus' mouth, and then pulls until his lower jaw comes off.
- All of Jessica's possible deaths in Until Dawn involve her jaw being torn right off of her face. This isn't the main cause of death, though: in the first case, she's dropped down a mine shaft after her jaw's been ripped off; in the second case, the killer rams a handful of razor-sharp fingernails down her throat until she ceases breathing, then rips her jaw off.
- This is one possible execution animation for Ork Nobz in Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine; pin their foot with your Power Axe and then break that jaw for the Emperor.
- In God of War, Kratos finishes Cerberus this way, in order to steal the artifact held within its mouth.
- In Halo, the aliens known as Elites have 4 mandibles in place of a bottom jaw. One Elite named Rtas 'Vadum, introduced in Halo 2, is missing his right mandibles, leading to the nickname "Half-Jaw" before his real name was revealed. In The Halo Graphic Novel, it's revealed the mandibles were cut off in a Laser Blade duel with a Flood-infected subordinate soldier. Rtas refused to have a cybernetic replacement, as the injury reminded him how strong the Flood truly were.
- Darth Malak of Knights of the Old Republic suffered this at some point. Only it wasn't just broken...◊
- This is one of the many ways you can Glory Kill a zombie or demon in DOOM.
- One of Jason's kill animations in Friday the 13th: The Game has him rip a counselor's jaws apart with his bare hands. With an axe, he can also do so with the sharp point.
- The ghost of a sex slave encountered near the end of Paranormal has a missing jaw, suggesting this trope was how her captor murdered her.
- The Adventures of Dr. McNinja: Doc does it to a zombie. Since it was undead, it doesn't really kill the thing, but it does prevent it from biting him.
- He doesn't stop with just removing the jaw, though. He proceeds to punch through it's spinal column, which is the part that kills it.
- Part 4 of The Sacrifice has one of Bill's surgeons turn just as he's getting anesthetics. The ensuing struggle between her and the doctor has him tear her jaw off before she kills him and moves on to Bill.