Many monsters appear in media, and they all take on different forms. Their mouths are no exception as they can make creatures disturbing or scarier than they would be if they had normal mouths. This is a simple version of that where a creature's mouth-line is represented in a zig-zag pattern. This is a good way to show how twisted a creature could be, unless the monster turns out to be nice, in which case it is Dark Is Not Evil. Following that insanity rule, this sort of mouth can be done in a few versions.
- The mouth is a zig-zagged line but isn't as sharp as it could be, hinting at an animal-like nature ( I.E. many heartless from Kingdom Hearts apply)
- The mouth looks very sharp looking, or is very long hinting at insanity. both can usually end in a Goth Spirals at either end of the mouth for Rule of Cool.
- This sort of mouth can appear in two varieties; the first is in a character's sillouhette, showing how sinister they are while they are in the shadows, this smile is used alot with the Glowing Eyes of Doom. the second is when it appears on a person's shadow which has the same effect and can be used for the same purposes. this especailly works well with characters that don't have jagged mouths in the first place.
- This version of a Jagged Mouth is used on a character as part of their normal design. The character has intelligence, humanity etc., but it is neither animalistic nor a villain; and as a result it could unitentionally help lead the hero to misunderstand it as evil, or animalistic.
open/close all folders
- Nearly all heartless from Kingdom Hearts, as well as some nobodies have these
- The Dark Bats from Sonic Unleashed.
- Various Final Fantasy enemies
- The dragons in the Disgaea series have this sort of mouth, as do their more humanoid cousins, the Entei.
- Doctor Lautrec And The Forgotten Knights has Treasure Animatis that sport these. mostly in their feral forms.
- Chillion From Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
- Water Glaboros from Kirbys Return To Dreamland
- A few Pokémon feature this sort of mouth, such as Swampert and Dusknoir.
- The Living Weapon Soul Robber from Nightmare Before Christmas Oogies Revenge has this mouth in most of its artwork.
- Bulkhead from Transformers Animated.