open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- In the Sandman comic Death is portrayed with a small spiral design under her eye. Although she is indeed a Perky Goth, this is more an Egyptian motif (probably the Eye of Horus) in keeping with her habit of wearing an ankh, although the ankh is much more symbolic.
- Dark City made a repeating theme of spirals: spiraling staircases, spiral patterns carved into victims, spiral rat mazes, spirals drawn by a madman. A good chunk of the movie is devoted to this trope. As seen from the Strangers' map, the entire city is arranged as a spiral.
- Pretty much the entire filmography of Tim Burton.
- There's a pretty big spiral motif in the artwork for Changeling: The Lost.
- Tharizdun is one of the big, nasty evil gods who has been featured prominently in Dungeons & Dragons. An evil Lovecraftian god, his "holy" symbol is none other than a black spiral.
- Werewolf: The Apocalypse had a group of evil corrupted werewolves as one of its main villain types. Their name? The Black Spiral Dancers.
- Found all over the place in Death Jr.: Root of Evil, most prominently in the character designs.
- Ditto for Psychonauts.
- In World of Warcraft, Scourge and Forsaken buildings quite often have small spirals on them.
- In Eversion, the flowers become deadly spiked spirals after many eversions. So do the face blocks in World 7. And a lot of spirals can eventually seen in the background in HD version.
- In The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, anything associated with Twilight is going to have these, from the Tron Lines on portals, monsters and Midna to the markings on Zant's robes (even the emblem on the front part of his outfit, which is interesting considering that it's a stylized version of the previously non-spirally Gerudo symbol).
- Some types of heartless in Kingdom Hearts have spirals in their design.
- And, obviously, The Nightmare Before Christmas is one of the recurring worlds.
- Ember of Danny Phantom sports a spiral design under her right eye in her role as something of a Gothic (undead) rock star. It may be a Shout-Out to Gaiman's Death.
- Perhaps not everywhere in the hilariously quoteworthy Invader Zim, but at least two examples can be seen: One being in Halloween Spectacular of Spooky Doom, Nightmare Membrane's lab coat ends with strangely swirling mist, and Nightmare Gaz's hair is shaped like squared spirals. In Door to Door, the specter of Poop Dogg (wearing a black robe, a la Ghost of Christmas Future) has the same swirls as Nightmare Membrane.
- The Nightmare Before Christmas. Interestingly, the trope picture is photoshopped to look spookier. The scene in question is actually quite romantic.
- And much of Tim Burton's work; he seems to like them. In fact, the logo for the exhibit on him at the Museum of Modern Art was a spiral.
- Skyclone, the Big Bad of Sky Dancers wears a spooky spiral on his shirt.
- In Barbie and the Secret Door, while the world of Zinnia is bright and cheery, the kingdom has a lot of spirals in its architecture, cliff designs, and plant life.