Film / My Bloody Valentine 3D
The 3D remake of My Bloody Valentine
, released in 2009.
Much like in the original film, the film is centered around murders committed around Valentine's Day, perpetuated by a psychopath in a miner's outfit.
This remake provides examples of the following tropes:
- Abandoned Area: Tunnel Number 5, and the old Palmer house.
- Adaptational Villainy: In this version, Harry Warden is far more evil then he was in the original. The original Harry was motivated by a desire to avenge himself and his fellow miners, as he was the only one to survive the cave-in, all the other miners were killed instantly. Harry only killed the two men he blamed for the cave-in. The Harry in the remake is motivated by selfishness and sadism, as other miner survive the cave in, and Harry kills them himself to preserve his own air. After awakening from his coma, Harry massacres an entire hospital consisting mostly of invalid patients and (according to news reports) children, all seemingly for no reason.
- All There in the Manual: A deleted scene reveals the shovel victim ("Teen Straggler") is named Brandy.
- Alone with the Psycho: Tom, for a little bit at the beginning.
- Alternative Foreign Theme Song: The Japanese dub uses "Kagami no Kuni no Aria (The Mirrorland's Aria)" by Nana Kitade as its theme song.
- Arrow Cam: When Sarah shoots Tom in the side.
- Axe Before Entering: The killer takes the supermarket's "Knock Before Entering" sign to its logical extreme.
- Bar Brawl: The patrons don't take too kindly to Tom showing up at the local bar.
- Exact Words: When Ben tells Tom to make peace with his father if he wants to, he shows him an urn containing his father's ashes.
- Eye Open: Harry coming out of his coma.
- Eye Scream: Jason, Ben and a rescue worker's deaths.
- Famous Last Words: "You're dead, motherfucker!" and "Shit!"
- Fight Scene: Lots, but props to Red for putting up a pretty good one.
- Fingore: When Red takes a swing at Tom in the bar, he misses and ends up punching a mirror.
- Flipping the Bird: Given to Irene by Frank.
- Flashback: While in a coma, Harry dreams about the night he became trapped in the mine.
- Frameup: Tom attempts to do it to Axel.
- Freudian Excuse: Tom was driven insane by nearly being killed by Harry.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Axel. He cheats on his wife with his employee, but he also genuinely cares about the wellbeing of her and their child, even telling his wife to shoot and kill him just to ensure that she survives unharmed.
- Karma Houdini:
- Tom doesn't face any troubles from the law over his role in the mining accident. While Tom claims that it was an accident on his part that caused the explosion/cave-in, he is absolved once the rescue teams get to the miners and discovered that Harry sadistically killed his friends in order to ensure his own survival via hogging all of the oxygen for himself.
- After Tom's revealed as the killer, he is presumably killed by Sarah and Axel in the mines, but he survives and escapes.
- Kick the Dog: Frank secretly videotaped himself and Irene, calls her a whore, flips her off, then says he's gotten tired of her. He also has a wedding ring on, so we can add adultery to the list.
- Ms. Fanservice: Irene, played by Betsy La Rue, does not wear one stitch of clothing the entire time she is onscreen (and it's a long scene).
- In the opening, Jamie King wears a white see-through shirt that leaves little to the imagination.
- Necro Cam: Used when Tom is revealed to be the killer.
- Sequel Hook: Tom survives being shot and the mine explosion, kills a rescuer, and escapes in his uniform.
- Scream Discretion Shot: The death of the first hospital nurse.
- The Sheriff: Axel, successor to the retired Jim Burke.
- Shovel Strike: Sarah attacks Harry with one in the prologue. He takes it from her and proceeds to behead Brandy at the jawline with it. Near the end, Axel fights Tom with one.
- Smoking Hot Sex: Planned by Irene, but the moment is ruined by Frank's assholishness.
- The Stinger: The killer appears and takes a swing at the camera with his pickaxe.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Tom, with the reveal that he's got a split personality, who hates him and wants to kill everyone around him and force him to symbolically watch.
- Would Hurt a Child: A reporter mentions that some of Harry's victims he killed in the hospital were children.