"Fear is not knowing. Terror is finding out."My Little Eye
is a 2002 British horror film. It is described as Big Brother meets Friday the 13th
, which makes the concept of Dead Set
, in a way (since that, too, is in the horror genre), older than they think.
The film starts with five young competitors—Emma, Matt, Danny, Charlie, and Rex—auditioning for an unnamed reality show. The rules state that they must live in a house for six months in order to win one million dollars. The catch? If anyone leaves, everyone loses. It continues at the last few weeks, where the people think about what they miss and what they plan to do with the million dollars.
However, the stakes are rising as their rations grow shorter, the heat is shut off, and Danny's grandfather dies. Rex thinks that it could be The Company, but no one else suspects a thing. Tensions rise, and another mysterious package that has a bottle of champagne and a shotgun appears. Later, a mysterious young man named Travis joins the group for a day, and he and Charlie have sex. Danny is accused of taking Emma's items and makes a gift for her, and that's where things start to go downhill, to put it mildly.
This film provides examples for the following tropes:
- Asshole Victim: Matt. Not that the cop who shot him was any good either though.
- The Bad Guy Wins
- Blond Guys Are Evil: At first, Matt seems to avert the trope, but then he suffocates Charlie after asking the audience/The Company, "Should I kill her now?"
- Breakfast Club : Word of God on the DVD commentary says the group is a modern-day, pessimistic sort. There is even a Shout-Out during the time-passage montage, where they watch the film.
- Creepy Monotone: Matt, when he speaks about a story of how a woman got raped, not to mention his Hannibal Lectures near the end.
- Cruel Twist Ending
- Death by Sex: Charlie.
- Downer Ending: In the end, all five housemates die, and the bad guys, including Matt before his own death, win.
- Driven to Suicide: After giving Emma her present and overhearing her and Charlie talking about it, Danny hangs himself. And in a deleted scene (just before Danny hangs himself), Matt, being the Manipulative Bastard that he is, is shown to be encouraging Danny to resort to suicide.
- Fanservice: Charlie's shower scene, and her (very long) sex scene with Travis.
- Final Girl: Subverted. After the cop shoots her and places her in a meat locker, Emma dies from her wounds.
- Genre Savvy: Rex. He knows that the Company is calling the shots.
- Homage / Shout-Out: To The Breakfast Club per Word Of God. Part of the concept is a dark updating of that film.
- Jerkass: While it is debatable as to who the other jerks are, Rex is definitely one. Near the end of the film, he becomes a Jerk with a Heart of Gold when he figures out what is going on and helps the housemates.
- Kill 'em All
- The Killer Becomes the Killed: At the end of the film, after killing Charlie and Rex and attempting to murder Emma, Matt dies when the cop shoots him in the head.
- Manipulative Bastard: Those who set up the twisted competition — but Matt especially, who seemed like a nice, "normal", average guy (save for the disturbing little story he shared) at first.
- Off with His Head!: Matt beheads Rex before the latter plays an Evil Dead game.
- The Quiet One: Danny.
- Shoot the Shaggy Dog
- This Is A Competition: Rex's state of mind throughout the film. It's clear that he really wants to win the one million dollars.
- Wham Line: "Should I kill her now?"
- The extra wham comes in Who says it.