My Man Godfrey
is a classic 1936 screwball comedy starring William Powell and Carole Lombard. The time is The Great Depression
, and a number of men down on their luck are living in the city dump. By chance, a party of rich people, including Irene Bullock, show up to claim one of the "forgotten men" to win a scavenger hunt. She chooses Godfrey and wins the hunt, and afterward offers him a job as the family butler. Hilarity Ensues
as he is confronted with a mad household of spoiled brats
and Cloud Cuckoolanders
. While Irene falls madly in love with Godfrey, the feeling is not mutual (at first).
- Chick Magnet: Without really trying, Godfrey gets both Bullock daughters and the maid to fall in love with him.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Irene and Mrs. Bullock.
Irene: (looks out the window of Godfrey's club) Oh, it's a lovely view - the view of the bridge. Is it always there?
- Credits-Brand Products: The opening credits are on neon signs.
- Deadpan Snarker: Any of the help who survives more than a day in the Bullock house. Molly, the maid, is very deadpan; Godfrey is sharper-tongued, but blunted by the adoring straight woman that is Irene.
- Dysfunctional Family: Where to begin?
"Take a look at the dizzy old gal with the goat."
"I've had to look at her for 20 years - that's MRS. Bullock!"
"I'm terribly sorry!"
"How do you think I feel?"
- Hangover Sensitivity: Mrs. Bullock usually has one in the morning. She sees "pixies".
- Have a Gay Old Time: Mrs. Bullock notes that Cornelia shattered a bunch of windows downtown because she was "very gay" last night.
- Hideous Hangover Cure: "Pixie Remover," namely tomato juice and Worcestershire sauce.
- Hidden Depths: Godfrey, who is more business savvy than he appears.
- Idle Rich: All of the Bullocks except Mr. Bullock. The satirical bite of these Idle Rich going to a dump to find the "forgotten man" was strong in the Great Depression, when there were a lot of forgotten men.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: During a typical evening at home, Mr. Bullock takes a whole tray of martinis & asks Godfrey to repeat the order in 30 minutes.
- The Jeeves: Godfrey, except for the pardonable sin of being American.
- Looped Lyrics: Carlo singing "Ochi Tchorniye," but none of the other lyrics, so it's close to a Single Stanza Song. Bonus points to Mrs. Bullock for not knowing the name of the song.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Irene is one of the first in film history, possibly the Trope Maker.
- Only Sane Man: Mr. Bullock and Godfrey.
- Rich Bitch: Cornelia. She, like everybody else in the household, is improved by Godfrey.
- Scavenger Hunt: This is how the Bullocks first meet Godfrey. (Scavenger hunts first became popular in the 1930s).
- Screwball Comedy
- Secretly Wealthy: Godfrey Smith (aka Godfrey Park of the Boston Parks).
- Servile Snarker: the maid Molly, especially to the cops.
- Spoiled Sweet: Irene. While ditzy, she still is kind to Godfrey, which is why he agrees to go with her for the scavenger hunt, as opposed to her older Rich Bitch sister.
- Wet Sari Scene: Godfrey figures out that Irene is faking a fainting spell, so he puts her in a shower and turns the water on. The results are pretty fanservice-y. This also causes Irene to realize that Godfrey loves her.