"Hey, look! A womb with a view!"Simply put, a Traumatic C-Section is when a pregnant woman has her unborn child crudely ripped or cut from her body. If done well (being prone to Special Effect Failure) it can result in Grade A Nausea Fuel. Contrast with Chest Burster, for when the offspring (or the equivalent of it) just violently comes out on its own, with no outside "assistance." Often goes hand in hand with Eats Babies, for some reason. Clothes hangers and/or vacuum cleaners may or may not be involved. Compare Imperiled in Pregnancy.
— Rich, Cannibal Campout
Examples:Anime and Manga
- In the 3rd Fushigi Yuugi OVA, the fake Suzaku uses the threat of this against Mayo to get her to pray for the destruction of Konan. He tells her that Taka plans to gather the other Seishi and kill Mayo and rip the baby out of her in the process.
- In +Anima, Cooro fell into a church when he was a baby, having become +Anima during his postmortem delivery, while his mother's newly-deceased body was being consumed by crows. The nuns there took him in and raised him.
- In a flashback sequence in Halloween: The First Death Of Laurie Strode, a young Michael Myers is shown daydreaming about cutting Baby Laurie out of his mother during a meal.
- A Spider-Man storyline involved the Venom symbiote being captured by a survivalist group, which forcibly extracted five "seeds" from it to create five new symbiotes for the their super soldier project.
- One happens off-panel in the Nicaragua arc of Fury: My War Gone By, led by The Punisher MAX villain Barracuda during his military days. Fury is investigating Barracuda's activities, and finds the remains of a village destroyed by his Contra forces, with horribly mangled bodies everywhere, including a corpse of a pregnant woman who had her stomach cut open and her baby stomped on.
Fury: Jesus fucking Christ almighty.
- In the Comics Nix X-Men fanfic Day of Reckoning, Cyclops mutilates Jean Grey and her fetus falls out.
- In the Mass Effect's fic Crucible, this was done to Amata, the wife of Gaius, Garrus and Shepard's son from the Bad Future. Amata was still alive when her stomach was cut open and her daughter was ripped out of it, still kicking and screaming before the Quarians shot the mother in the head (they also killed her son before that). After that the baby was taken to a lab to be experimented on. Judging from hundreds of dead Hybrid babies' bodies being tested, cut apart and preserved in that place, Amata was not the first or only victim.
- Arguably the most infamous scene in The Anthropophagus Beast is Nikos ripping out a baby, and eating it in front of its dying mother. It's even worse in The Remake, due to the baby obviously being alive when Nikos takes a bite out of its head.
- Automaton Transfusion re-creates the above scene almost exactly, but with a zombie.
- In Las Vegas Bloodbath, Sam kills Barbara by cutting out her baby, which he casually throws at the wall afterward. It is later found crammed into a toilet.
- The French film └ l'intÚrieur ("Inside") centers on an insane woman who wants to cut out the main character's baby, intent on having it replace her own dead child.
- During the making of the original Dawn of the Dead (1978), a pregnant extra suggested her character should be shown having her baby ripped out by the zombies. Director George A. Romero and SFX guru Tom Savini gave a resounding "No. Just... No" Reaction.
- In the otherwise forgettable made-for-TV film Scarlett, one scene features Scarlett O'Hara going through this.
- During a test screening of the My Bloody Valentine 3D, a viewer asked if it was Megan's unborn child and not her heart that the miner cut out, since the camera doesn't linger on what was ripped out for very long. It was her heart, and director Patrick Lussier mentions how squicked out he was by the baby assumption in the film's commentary.
- The first Violent Shit ends with a pregnant Karl ripping himself open to let the baby out.
- In Felidae, a dead cat is found ripped open and surrounded by fetuses.
- Old footage found by the characters in Xtro III Watch The Skies shows an alien's young being ripped out of the parent while she(?) is in the middle of being vivisected.
- In The Mutilator a character mentions his father once caught a shark and slit it open, causing roughly a dozen or so baby sharks to messily spill out.
- A Japanese soldier cuts a Chinese civilian's baby out with his bayonet in Black Sun: The Nanking Massacre.
- Forever Evil has a random Dream Sequence where an undead woman pulls out her demonic baby.
- The fetus ripping from Troma's Terror Firmer.
- A fetus is cut out and devoured in Cannibal Campout
"Smells like a girl... tastes like a girl".
- After an argument with his girlfriend, the lead killer in August Underground's Penance does this to a random woman.
- Seeing as how it's an abortion-themed horror film, Hanger of course features this.
- The Shivers, one of Todd Sheets's many obscure little films, has a pregnant woman de-fetus herself due to the evil's influence.
- In a Better World, for a non-horror or exploitation film example.
- At the end of one of the Carnosaurs, a Mad Scientist gives herself one of these by clawing open her own abdomen because she's pregnant with little dinosaur babies and wants to make sure they survive.
- Prometheus has a particularly scarring one. It ends up creating a squid-like Facehugger which grows to a giant size. Zoinks.
- One of the many endless gore scenes in The Coma-Brutal Duel involves a ripped out fetus being stomped on.
- The opening of Madness has one of the killers stomp on a pregnant woman's stomach so hard that what looks like her bloodied baby shoots out from between her legs.
- This implied to have been done to the pregnant victim in Snuff 102.
- The premise of The Clinic is that pregnant women are abducted by an underground organization, have their babies removed, and are made to kill each other in a twisted contest which prospective adopters use to judge which of the stolen babies they want.
- Horrifically, this is actually Older Than Feudalism. It goes back to the root of all Western literature, The Iliad, in which Agamemnon scolds his brother Menelaos for showing mercy to a Trojan:
Agamemnon: Not a single one of them must escape sheer destruction at our hands. Not even if a mother carries one in her belly and he is male, not even he should escape.
- Is mentioned in The Bible, specifically in the prophetic books of the Old Testament, where Israel has descended into idolatry and corruption, and is involved with conflicts involving other nations as well as its own civil war. The Assyrians (one of the most brutal and most effective armies of the ancient Middle East) are mentioned as doing this among other practices that would be considered war crimes today.
- In the fourth Twilight novel, Edward rips open Bella's womb to retrieve their unborn child from her body with his teeth because both the nature of the pregnancy and the state of Bella's body didn't allow for any conventional birthing process to take place.
- Fetuses in The Time Traveler's Wife time travel out of the womb on several occasions. This is extremely messy and disturbing.
- A much milder example, in which the victim is a salmon, is mentioned in the Discworld novel Unseen Academicals. Still, it's only brought up for just how disturbing it was for young Vetinari to see all those cute little otter cubs eating all those little salmon eggs...
Vetinari: Mother and children, dining upon mother and children. And that's when I first learned about evil.
- One of the tortures inflicted upon the female mutant in Apeshit.
- A mad scientist may or may not have done this to one of his test subjects in Jason X Death Moon.
- From the 13th century Saga of the Volsungs: After seven years of pregnancy, King Rerir's wife orders her child be cut out of her body, even though she knows it will kill her. Thus, the hero Volsung is born.
- Dantalion performs one on Amarantha after her carriage crashes in Literature/Maledicte to ensure the survival of an heir, even though the mother might live if he doesn't.
- An incident from the childhood of Prince Joffrey in A Song of Ice and Fire is alluded to in Cersei's chapters which provides some early warning signs of his later psychopathy — while the details are sketchy, it's implied that he found a pregnant cat and cut her open to see what the kittens looked like.
- In an episode of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, the Victim of the Week was a woman who was killed when her husband cut her baby out, convinced that she was having an affair and that the child wasn't his. It was. And the baby died too.
- I, Claudius had Caligula impregnate his sister, then cut her open and eat the baby.
- This is implied to have happened to Ilithyia in Spartacus: Vengeance.
- Happened to Violet in Private Practice. A patient was convinced the baby was hers.
- In The Walking Dead Lori goes into labor while hiding from walkers in the boiler room of a prison. Maggie then has to deliver the baby via a C-section using a crude hunting knife and Lori dies
- The ER episode "Love's Labor Lost" culminated in a horrifying emergency C-section. One TV critic says it changed how she thought about her body and life in general.
As the episode unfurls, one thing goes wrong and then another — the baby's shoulder gets stuck, the mother's blood pressure drops — until a panicked Greene performs a brutal emergency C-section. "What did you use, a chain saw?" asks the obstetrician when she finally shows up. Although the baby is saved, the woman dies, her body transformed from living person into scooped-out husk in a matter of moments.
- A delusional woman does this to acquire placenta to eat in an episode of Criminal Minds.
- There have been several instances of pregnant women being kidnapped and having their unborn children forcibly taken from their wombs, generally by women who've been faking pregnancy and now need "proof" in the form of a newborn. A list of ten such cases in the US appears here.
- Sadly, this often occurred as a war crime in the past, with recorded incidents from the Sepoy Mutiny in 1857 to the Rape of Nanking in the 1930s.
- In Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, The Boss, during the invasion of Normandy, went into labor. Naturally, being in the middle of a war zone without access to a proper medical facility, drastic measures needed to be taken. The most badass thing of all is that she performed the C-section on herself. Out pops baby Revolver Ocelot, in the middle of a battle, with his mother performing a C-section on herself.
- Metamor City: this happens to Abbey Preston, by her abusive boyfriend. While she survives, she is extremely traumatised for years afterwards, especially as Sasha is killed at the same time. It gets worse - see, she's psychic, and it's hereditary, and she had even held simple conversations with her child in the womb. When her child died, she heard her scream.
- SCP-1048 is an animate teddy bear that can make more of its kind using any random material, including a fetus it somehow removed from a dozing employee.
- This bit from The Simpsons version of The Nativity Story.
Doctor Nick: Good news everybody, Caesar just invented the Caesarean! (whips out a large saw)Marge/Mary: Get him out of here!