Film / The Anthropophagus Beast
It's not fear that tears you apart... it's him!
Imagine you are on vacation. You and your friends have picked out a lovely Greek island to stay at, with beautiful scenery, beaches to stroll along, and plenty of opportunity to just relax, without a care in the world. However, this remote island is not the paradise it seems. It is strangely uninhabited, save for a blind girl who doesn't know what happened to everyone else. However, there is one other here: a man the girl says smells of blood. And for him, it is now dinnertime.The Anthropophagus Beast
(1980) is an Italian horror film
directed by Joe D'Amato. It was his first "straight" horror film. He had previously made erotic horror films such as Emmanuelle in America
and Erotic Nights of the Living Dead
.The Anthropophagus Beast
was co-written by D'Amato and Luigi Montefiori, who were long-time associates. Montefiori often co-wrote and held lead roles in D'Amato's films under the pseudonym of George Eastman. He's credited as George Eastman as both the co-writer and star of this movie.
The film also starred Tisa Farrow (sister of Mia), Saverio Vallone, Margaret Donnelly, Vanessa Steiger, Mark Bodin, Bob Larsen, Simone Baker, Mark Logan, Rubina Rey and Zora Kerova.
In the documentary Totally Uncut 2
D'Amato stated that the film was solely made for foreign markets; both the director and Montefiore claim that even though the film did very well in other countries it was a flop in Italy. Montefiore also revealed that he has never liked the film, though he did enjoy making it.
D'Amato followed up this film with a pseudo-sequel, Absurd
, also known as Zombie 6: Monster Hunter
. In 1999, it had a remake known as Anthropophagous 2000
, made by the director of Violent Shit
, who somehow managed to make things Bloodier and Gorier
. The 1981 film Porno Holocaust
, also directed by Joe D'Amato and starring George Eastman, is something of a Parallel Porn Title
This film contains examples of the following tropes:
- Anyone Can Die: Only two people survive to the ending credits. Neither of them is the blind girl or the pregnant woman.
- The Atoner: The insane sailor believes that killing and eating people will help him atone for doing exactly that to his family. This is why he has no friends.
- Autocannibalism: Nikos's last dying act is to start gnawing on his own spilled intestines.
- Big Bad: Nikos Karamanlis, the cannibal killing everybody.
- Final Girl: Julie fits the bill pretty well, though this is subverted in the final confrontation when a previous victim turns up to be alive and gives a deadly blow to the killer.
- Gorn: One infamous scene involved the antagonist strangling a pregnant woman while he ripped her fetus from her abdomen and ate it. At the end, when he is mortally wounded with a pickaxe, he starts pulling out his own intestines and munching on them before he dies.
- Market-Based Title: The film goes by a different title depending on its market and cut, i.e. Anthropophagous, Anthropophagous: The Beast, The Grim Reaper, and even Zombie 7.
- No Party Like a Donner Party: The protagonists find a diary written by a man who shipwrecked on this island with his wife and children, and was forced to kill and eat them to survive.
- Not Quite Dead: In the end, the pregnant lady's husband, who we last saw getting impaled with a machete, not only turns out to have survived, but is the one who kills the killer in the end.
- Papa Wolf: The killer learns the hard way that the pregnant woman's husband is not happy that his wife and unborn child were murdered.
- Poster Spoil: The ending is right on the poster as seen above.
- Video Nasties: The video has weathered a bit of controversy due to its grisly content.
- Beach Bury: Nikos buries himself in the sand in order to ambush Mary.
- Camera Abuse: Blood splashes all over the camera while Nikos is beating Allan.
- Curiosity Killed the Cast: Hank is killed searching for Allan, Marc and Stan looking for Vincent and Caroll, and Auriet looking for Marc.
- Ear Ache: Nikos bites off one of Stan's ears.
- Hope Spot: Marc running into Stan, and Georg and Rita finding the RV and cell phone.
- Horror Hunger: "Since then I need meat. Lots of meat from animals, but that doesn't stop my craving for blood. Red like blood, red - the color of the love. It's hard to describe the pain that's tearing me apart. It's like an eternal flame... an eternal hellfire...
- Man Bites Man: Nikos bites Stan's ear off, and rips Auriet's throat out.
- My Car Hates Me: "Maybe we ran out of gas or whatever. I don't know, it's not my fault. Fucking weather."
- Shovel Strike: Georg uses a shovel to bludgeon and behead Nikos.
- Sickening "Crunch!": Hank's arm being snapped in half by Nikos, and Auriet having her back broken.