It's not fear that tears you apart... it's him!
Imagine you are on vacation. You and your friends have picked out a lovely Greek island to stay at, with beautiful scenery, beaches to stroll along, and plenty of opportunity to just relax, without a care in the world. However, this remote island is not the paradise it seems. It is strangely uninhabited, save for a blind girl who doesn't know what happened to everyone else. However, there is one other here: a man the girl says smells of blood. And for him, it is now dinnertime.The Anthropophagus Beast
(1980) is an Italian horror film
directed by Joe D'Amato. It was his first "straight" horror film. He had previously made erotic horror films such as Emmanuelle in America
and Erotic Nights of the Living Dead
.The Anthropophagus Beast
was co-written by D'Amato and Luigi Montefiori, who were long-time associates. Montefiori often co-wrote and held lead roles in D'Amato's films under the pseudonym of George Eastman. He's credited as George Eastman as both the co-writer and star of this movie.
The film also starred Tisa Farrow (sister of Mia), Saverio Vallone, Margaret Donnelly, Vanessa Steiger, Mark Bodin, Bob Larsen, Simone Baker, Mark Logan, Rubina Rey and Zora Kerova.
In the documentary Totally Uncut 2
D'Amato stated that the film was solely made for foreign markets; both the director and Montefiore claim that even though the film did very well in other countries it was a flop in Italy. Montefiore also revealed that he has never liked the film, though he did enjoy making it.
D'Amato followed up this film with a pseudo-sequel, Absurd
, also known as Zombie 6: Monster Hunter
. In 1999, it had a remake known as Anthropophagous 2000
, made by the director of Violent Shit
, who somehow managed to make things Bloodier and Gorier
. The 1981 film Porno Holocaust
, also directed by Joe D'Amato and starring George Eastman, is something of a Parallel Porn Title
This film contains examples of the following tropes:
- Anyone Can Die: Only two people survive to the ending credits. Neither of them is the blind girl or the pregnant woman.
- The Atoner: The insane sailor believes that killing and eating people will help him atone for doing exactly that to his family. This is why he has no friends.
- Autocannibalism: Nikos's last dying act is to start gnawing on his own spilled intestines.
- Cat Scare
- Eats Babies
- Gorn: One infamous scene involved the antagonist strangling a pregnant woman while he ripped her fetus from her abdomen and ate it. At the end, when he is mortally wounded with a pickaxe, he starts pulling out his own intestines and munching on them before he dies.
- I'm a Humanitarian
- No Party Like a Donner Party: The protagonists find a diary written by a man who shipwrecked on this island with his wife and children, and was forced to kill and eat them to survive.
- Papa Wolf: The killer learns the hard way that the pregnant woman's husband is not happy that his wife and unborn child were murdered.
- Slashed Throat
- Traumatic C-Section: See Gorn above.
- Video Nasties
- Accidental Murder: Nikos accidentally stabbing Martha.
- Acting for Two: Sybille Kohlhase plays both Irena and Auriet.
- Adaptation Expansion
- An Arm and a Leg: Hank has an arm ripped off by Nikos.
- An Axe to Grind: Nikos uses an axe to wound Mary.
- And Starring: Special appearance by Andreas Schnaas as Nikos Karamanlis.
- As Himself: Fanni the Cat.
- Autocannibalism: Of course. The difference here is he actually survives it.
- Beach Bury: Nikos buries himself in the sand in order to ambush Mary.
- Beard of Evil
- Bedmate Reveal: Mary discovering Stuart's face has been ripped off.
- Between My Legs: When Nikos finds Marc.
- Blade on a Stick: A spear is used to kill Vincent.
- Bloodier and Gorier
- Body Horror: The sun and salt water destroyed Nikos's skin.
- Boom, Headshot: Agent Bauers's death.
- Breast Attack: Nikos devours one of Martha's breasts.
- Bury Your Disabled: Auriet.
- Camera Abuse: Blood splashes all over the camera while Nikos is beating Allan.
- Carpet of Virility: Stuart and Marc.
- Cat Scare: A cat jumping on a piano.
- Chained by Fashion: Mary.
- Cobweb Jungle
- Coincidental Broadcast: Except with newspapers, one of which bears the headline "Maniac Terminates Village".
- Coitus Ensues: Rita and Marc.
- Couldn't Find a Pen: Go Away.
- Crazy Homeless People: The Vagabound.
- Creepy Basement
- Curiosity Killed the Cast: Hank is killed searching for Allan, Marc and Stan looking for Vincent and Caroll, and Auriet looking for Marc.
- Cute Kitten: Fanni.
- Death by Sex: Mary and Stuart, and Rita and Marc.
- Death Seeker: Nikos.
"Release me, release me!"
- Destination Defenestration: The chosen method of suicide for Irena.
- Determinator: Nikos keeps going, even after being shot several times, and disemboweled.
- Diary: Nikos's journal.
- Don't Go in the Woods
- Driven to Suicide: Irena.
- Ear Ache: Nikos bites off one of Stan's ears.
- Eats Babies: Nikos.
- Emerging from the Shadows: Nikos.
- Evil Makes You Monstrous
- Extremely Dusty Home
- Facial Horror: Lots.
- Fade to Black
- Fingore: Mary has some fingers chopped off by Nikos.
- Flashback Within a Flashback: Nikos recalling being lost at sea with his wife, and dead daughter.
- Foreign Remake
- Framing Device: Interpol agent Steven Bauers finding Nikos's journal.
"Time has no meaning anymore. Here it begins and ends... the story of the Karamanlis family."
- Gainax Ending: Agent Bauers wonders how Nikos's journal got into the cave, and could be so thorough. He then finds Georg's cell phone, and is randomly shot in the face by an unseen assailant.
- Ghost Town
- Go Into the Light: "We love you, Nikos. Come to us."
- Gratuitous English
- Gutted Like a Fish: Hank, Allan and Nikos.
- Hand of Death
- Hearing Voices: Nikos.
- High-Pressure Blood
- Hope Spot: Marc running into Stan, and Georg and Rita finding the RV and cell phone.
- Horror Hunger: "Since then I need meat. Lots of meat from animals, but that doesn't stop my craving for blood. Red like blood, red - the color of the love. It's hard to describe the pain that's tearing me apart. It's like an eternal flame... an eternal hellfire...
- Hostile Weather
- I'm a Humanitarian
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Marc's very Cannibal Holocaust-esque death.
- Impromptu Tracheotomy: Vincent is speared through the neck, then decapitated.
- Improvised Weapon: Nikos uses a rock to incapacitate Allan, and another de-fetus Caroll.
- In Memoriam: In memory of Joe D'Amato.
- Jitter Cam
- Machete Mayhem: Nikos uses a machete to kill Stan.
- Made of Plasticine
- Man Bites Man: Nikos bites Stan's ear off, and rips Auriet's throat out.
- Menacing Stroll
- Murderer P.O.V.
- My Car Hates Me: "Maybe we ran out of gas or whatever. I don't know, it's not my fault. Fucking weather."
- Nerdy Inhaler: Marc.
- No Party Like a Donner Party
- Offscreen Teleportation: Nikos.
- Off with His Head!: Vincent, Rita and Nikos's deaths.
- Overdrawn At The Bloodbank
- Peek-A-Boo Corpse: Caroll opens the hood of the RV to discover Vincent's head.
- Prophet Eyes: Auriet.
- Red Shirt: Mary, Stuart, Hank and Allan.
- Right Through His Pants: Mary and Stuart.
- Shirtless Scene: Stuart and Marc.
- Shovel Strike: Georg uses a shovel to bludgeon and behead Nikos.
- Sickening Crunch: Hank's arm being snapped in half by Nikos, and Auriet having her back broken.
- Sinister Silhouettes
- Smoking Hot Sex: Rita.
- Staircase Tumble: Happens to Georg.
- Suddenly Voiced: Nikos.
- Those Two Guys: Hank and Allan.
- Traumatic C-Section: Caroll's death.
- Trope 2000
- Twisted Ankle: Caroll.
- Vomiting Cop: An Interpol agent.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: One of the Interpol agents vomits while looking through the corpse-filled cave, and Caroll gets road sick.
- Woman in Black: Irena.
- Would Hurt a Child: The ripped out baby moves and cries before being eaten by Nikos.
- Your Head A Splode: Agent Bauers's death.