Why be moral, when we can be anonymous?
"Until what point are you willing to watch? In other words, what do you want to watch?"Snuff 102
— The Film Critic
is a 2007 horror film from Argentina.
After seeing a broadcast about the capture of lunatic dubbed the Road Killer, a young female journalist is inspired to write about violence itself. For her research, the journalist accesses various shock and extreme porn sites (being greatly disturbed by their content) and arranges a meeting with a renowned author and film critic. Intercut with the journalist and the critic discussing topics such as morality and the value of human life are scenes of the journalist and two other women (a pregnant prostitute, and a porn star) being filmed as they are tortured and mutilated in an abandoned building by a man in a ski mask.
The sadistic abductor has labeled his captives Victim 100, Victim 101, and Victim 102. The journalist is Victim 102, and as her time of reckoning approaches, we are concurrently shown how she got herself into this dire situation. Can she escape, or will she be made into another trophy in this twisted filmmaker's personal collection?Snuff 102
premiered at the Mar del Plata Film Festival amidst much controversy, with one outraged viewer even going as far as assaulting its creator, Mariano Peralta. It has been called an "artsy" (and some might say pretentious) version of August Underground
After its initial screenings, DVDs of the film were made available for purchase on the official website, which no longer appears active, making Snuff 102
a bit of a rarity. But then Massacre Video came to the rescue in 2013, re-releasing the film on both DVD and VHS, with lots of new special features.
Dare to see more?
- Abandoned Area: The ruined and secluded house where the killer makes his films.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: It's implied that the killer masturbates after mutilating a body with a hacksaw. He also fondles himself while twirling a knife around the inside of one of the victim's mouths.
- An Arm and a Leg: The killer is shown taking a body and Victim 101 apart with a hacksaw.
- Bald of Evil: The film critic.
- Bile Fascination: Discussed.
- Bilingual Bonus: There are early newscasts that go untranslated.
- Breast Attack: A woman has a breast nailed to a table, and the killer bites one of Victim 100's nipples off.
- Blood from the Mouth: For starters.
- Bloody Handprint: The killer leaves one on a sink while dismembering a body.
- Bound and Gagged: The victims.
- Camping a Crapper: Victim 100 is finished off in the washroom.
- Cast as a Mask: Rodrigo Bianco plays the killer, while his voice is provided by Mariano Peralta.
- Cell Phones Are Useless: The killer's cellphone refuses to work for the journalist.
- Chase Scene: The journalist breaks free, and is chased through the abandoned building and into the woods by the killer.
- Cold-Blooded Torture
- Content Warnings: "WARNING. The torture scenes documented in this film are real. Caution is recommended for sensitive viewers."
- Creator Cameo: The killer is voiced by Mariano Peralta.
- Death by Sex: Victim 101.
- Deliberately Monochrome: Most of the film.
- Disposable Sex Worker: Victim 100, and the preferred victims of the Road Killer.
- Drop the Hammer: A hammer is used on all the victims.
- Eye Scream: The killer rips Victim 101's left eye out with his bare hands.
- Facial Horror: Victim 100 is beaten so viciously that her face is completely ruined.
- Fan Disservice: Aside from the obvious, the porn set scene is shot in the most un-erotic manner possible.
- Final Girl: The journalist.
- Fin Gore: Victim 100 has all the fingers on her left hand cut off.
- Finishing Stomp: Victim 100's head and stomach are stomped and kicked repeatedly.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: The film critic.
- Groin Attack: A knife is used to mutilate Victim 100's genitals.
- Gross-Up Close-Up
- Gutted Like a Fish: The killer cuts Victim 100 open with a knife.
- Heartbeat Soundtrack
- High Pressure Blood: The shock videos of the pig killing, and the decapitation.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: The killer discards his machete so he can strangle the journalist to death, but she fights him off and kills him with the machete.
- Hooks and Crooks: The journalist is stabbed in the stomach with a hook.
- Hope Spot: The journalist getting the killer's cellphone.
- Hot Scoop: The journalist.
- I Love the Dead: The journalist finds photographs showing the film critic having sex with a rotting corpse, at one point sticking his hand into a wound in its stomach in the midst of fucking it.
- Improvised Weapon: As the killer is strangling her, the journalist grabs a rock and beats him with it.
- In-Universe Camera
- Jitter Cam
- Knife Nut
- Le Film Artistique
- Machete Mayhem: When the journalist escapes, the killer goes after her with a machete.
- Malevolent Masked Men: The killer wears a ski mask.
- Man Bites Man: The killer isn't above using his teeth.
- Mirrored Confrontation Shot: This occurs between the killer and one of the victims.
- Monochrome Past: Everything leading up the journalist's capture.
- Monster Misogyny: Discussed.
- Nameless Narrative
- New Media Are Evil: Discussed (there's a lot of discussion in this).
- No Animals Were Harmed: The film includes footage of actual animal cruelty and experimentation.
- No Name Given: All the characters except a man called Leo.
- Not Quite Dead: The journalist locks herself in a washroom, and finds Victim 100 in the tub, still somehow alive despite the ungodly amount of damage she has sustained. The killer quickly rectifies this with his hammer.
- Off with His Head!: Victim 101's head is cut off with a hacksaw, and a man is slowly beheaded in what appears to be actual war footage.
- Old Dark House: The primary location.
- Once is Not Enough: Averted. Once the journalist gets ahold of a rock and a machete, she doesn't stop hitting the killer with them until he is completely mangled.
- Our Nudity Is Different: "There is a 'partition' of the bodies. A psychiatrist named Fiugel has a theory about changing erotic zones. In the Victorian age, the focus of attraction was the shoulders, in the first decades of the 20th century it was the ankles, then the shoulders in the thirties. Always the bodies were divided, fragmented. A fragmentation."
- Police Are Useless: It's claimed that the authorities did not do much in the Road Killer case because the victims were prostitutes.
- Rape as Drama: The killer rapes Victim 101.
- Real Is Brown: The main events have off coloration.
- The Reveal: The film critic is the killer.
- Serial Killer: The Road Killer, and the film critic.
- Shock Site
- Slashed Throat: A pig has its throat slit.
- Snot Bubble: Victim 101 produces a bloody one.
- Snuff Film: The film critic states that it is highly improbably that there is a secret market dedicated to snuff, but it is entirely possible that an isolated individual could produce his own films, and share them.
- The Sociopath: The film critic.
- Stylistic Suck: The entire film looks bad.
- Title In: One week earlier.
- Tongue Trauma: We're shown an image of a bisected tongue.
- The Tooth Hurts: Victim 101 has her teeth knocked out with a chisel.
- Torture Cellar
- Torture Porn
- Torture Technician
- Traumatic C-Section: Implied to have been done to Victim 100.
- Turn of the Millennium
- Urine Trouble: After raping Victim 101, the killer pisses on her.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: A clip of an emetophilia-themed porno is shown, and one of the victims vomits through her gag.
- You Are Number Six: The killer's "Victim 10#" labeling.