open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Higurashi: When They Cry. You're not supposed to go for your own throat, Keiichi... The manga has a handprint decorating the back cover of each volume.
- In the final episode of Code Geass R2 Lelouch leaves one of these - in his own blood - on Suzaku's Zero mask as they exchange their final words after Suzaku stabs him.
- In Rave Master Musica gets these in his (and Reina's) fight with Ogre after he stops Ogre's superheated goldclaiming pole wit his bare hands.
- Great Teacher Onizuka: After a serious injury, Onizuka left a bloody hand print on Uchiyamada's bald head. Uchiyamada found it really hard to remove, and almost thought that Onizuka cursed him.
- In Baccano!, Claire Stanfield leaves bloody hand-prints on the outside of the train window. He belongs to the latter example.
- Lucy in Elfen Lied uses her vectors to the same effect, and wakes up one morning with the walls of her room absolutely covered in these.
- In Paprika, Osanai leaves one of these when he slides down a glass wall. Since this happens in the background of another scene it's entirely possible to miss the first time you watch it.
- In The Capitol Games, one tribute is forced to cover her chariot costume and her partner's in hand prints made with her own blood.
- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan has a most emotional moment when Scotty's nephew dies asking if "the word is still given" leaving a bloody hand mark on Kirk's uniform not ready to die or end his duties.
- God of Cookery as a result of a Barehanded Blade Block being a little more realistic than most depictions.
- Shaun of the Dead: Once the Zombie Apocalypse begins, two of these adorn a drinks refrigerator in the grocery store where Shaun does his shopping. Shaun doesn't notice them, as well as anything else out of the ordinary.
- The cover art for the remake of House on Haunted Hill (1999) and its sequel is a bloody handprint.
- Forms Wilson's "face" in Cast Away when Chuck cuts his hand and throws the volleyball away in a fit of anger.Probably the nicest use of this trope, since Chuck was in desperate need of a Companion Cube to keep himself sane.
- In The Blair Witch Project the main characters find the supposedly demolished house of Rustin Parr, the walls of which are covered in children's handprints, presumably composed of dried blood.
- The Mist: After the insane crowd led by the religiously insane villainess stab an unfortunate marine and throw him out the store where the monsters lurk. The last shot before he is violently dragged away into the mist is him putting his blood-covered hand on the window before whispering "please", leaving the bloody print after he's killed.
- The DVD cover for Creep (2004) has a bloody handprint on a subway train window.
- The Grand Duel: In one scene, a dying victim of one of the villains leaves his bloody handprint on his immaculate white suit.
- The Lord of the Rings: Saruman's mark on his Uruk-hai warriors was a very mild version of this. (He used white paint.)
- In Halloween H20: Twenty Years Later, Laurie leaves a bloody handprint on the door of a closet, tricking Michael Myers into thinking she was hiding inside.
- In Gothika, Douglas Grey leaves several bloody handprints all over the house as he attempts to escape his wife, the posessed, temporarily Ax-Crazy Miranda Grey. It makes it very easy to show where he's been.
- Monsters. Seen on a wrecked yacht as the protagonists journey down the river in the Infected Zone.
- The Cabin in the Woods. After half their number are killed, the survivors run to their RV to drive out of there. As they pile in, we're shown a bloody handprint on the door.
- Slender Man film Entity has a scene in which the female character smears one across a window, apparently, as shown in the trailer. The movie almost completely disappeared from the Internet a couple months ago or so, so we have no way of knowing what the hell was going on.
- Jurassic World. Claire Dearing is in the cab of an armoured truck with the two children, waiting while the InGen mercenaries deal with the crisis. Suddenly she's startled by a mercenary slamming his bloody hand on the window, shouting for her to flee at once. She starts the truck but the mercenary is jumped by a dinosaur as he's climbing into the back.
- The Force Awakens. A dying stormtrooper reaches for another stormtrooper and leaves a handmark on the latter's helmet, incidentally identifying him for the next few scenes.
- In Sunshine, bloody hand- and footprints are left behind by the villain Pinbacker wherever he goes. Also a signal that he's already beaten the hero to the payload.
- In Tarzan, as Kala looks over the damage of the treehouse Tarzan's parents built, you can see bloody hand and paw prints from their fatal (offscreen) battle with Sabor.
- In Apartment Zero the camera follows a trail of bloody hand prints and skid marks down the wall and to the bed, where we see the mangled, naked corpse of the man Jack killed for his passport.
- Marc Haddon's A Spot of Bother: While cutting a skin lesion off his lip, George Hall suffers serious blood loss and leaves them all over his house.
- In Death on the Nile, this is one of a few Red Herrings made to accuse the dead girl's husband's ex.
- Carrie: Carrie leaves one of these on Mrs. Desjardin's shorts while panicking over her first period — she is under the impression that she is bleeding to death.
- In a Night Huntress book, Cat enters the house to find a man dead in the kitchen and a trail of bloody handprints leading up the stairs. The wife had dragged herself up to the (adult) daughter's bedroom and died in there.
- A bloody thumbprint shows up in the Sherlock Holmes story The Adventure of the Norwood Builder. Lestrade thinks that it's conclusive evidence in regards to a murder that had happened two days previously. Holmes agrees, but for a different reason: The thumbprint hadn't been there the night before, which meant that someone was planting evidence to get the owner of the thumb in trouble.
- Ghost Finders: Early in the investigation of the haunted radio station in Voices From Beyond, one of these is left on JC's jacket by his dying future self. He keeps the jacket on, refusing to explain the mark, which further creeps out most of the already-spooked station staff.
Live Action TV
- In one episode of Firefly, "Out of Gas" an injured Mal is stumbling through the ship with a gaping gunshot wound in his gut, leaving large bloody handprints on everything, especially most of the medbay. And the engine. And most of the walls. And, when he's reduced to crawling, a good portion of the floor, as well.
- "Who Are You?": One is found on the floor during a murder investigation.
- "Unfriendly Skies": One is found on an airliner's cockpit door.
- CSI also occasionally features bloody footprints.
- CSI: NY episode "Rain": After a robbery, one of the robbers is found in a pool of blood with baby-sized ones leading away from it.
- The Haunted episode "Demon House". They're found on a baby's crib.
- ER episode "Twenty-One Guns". Abby places one on a door window just before slumping over and falling to the floor.
- General Hospital: Sonny had one on his white shirt from when he attempted to hug Michael at the scene of Claudia's death and Michael pushed him away.
- It: Also happened in the TV Miniseries of Stephen King's novel.
- Deadliest Warrior
- The "Yakuza vs. Mafia" episode used one as a logo to represent the Mafia.
- In the dramatized battle at the end of the "KGB vs. CIA" episode, a shot and wounded KGB agent leaves one on a door, followed by a trail of blood, allowing a CIA agent to track him down and eventually kill him.
- Battlestar Galactica: Seen on a Cylon centurion.
- In one episode of MacGyver, Mac comes across a deserted ship that's been run ashore and ransacked on the inside. Within he finds a Bloody Handprint several times the size of his own, which obviously could not belong to a human.
- In the 2 Broke Girls episode "And the Egg Special" these can be seen all over the walls◊ of the Soup Kitchen after a drug deal went wrong and turned into a shooting spree.
- One early episode of Falling Skies saw members of the Second Mass trying to set up a memorial to their lost loved ones, and Tom Mason tries to convince Anne Glass to contribute something to help her deal with her grief over losing her family. She's both uninterested in re-opening that fresh wound and also busy trying to figure out how to torture a Skitter, but he persists, and finally, she snaps and smacks the memorial with her hand, which is covered in Skitter blood, leaving a bloody handprint on the memorial.
- Murder, She Wrote: In "Terminal Destination", the stepson of the Victim OF The Week discovers something is amiss when he finds a bloody handprint on the white wall of the beach house. He then follows a trail of handprints to find the body.
- Two bloody handprints can be found above the inlanes on The Walking Dead. The Limited Edition table has one more on the mirrored backglass.
- One production of Romeo and Juliet had Mercutio leave a bloody handprint as he was being carried off after getting sliced open by Tybalt.
- Silent Hill: Origins. A girl (Alessa) leaves one on a mirror. Touching it marks your first transition into the Dark World.
- Silent Hill 4 - A series of them can be seen on the opposite wall of Henry's apartment. They increase by one every time a Victim dies.
- Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines. Bloody handprints on a sarcophagus indicate it may have been opened from the inside.
- All over the place in BioShock, but special mention goes to the medical pavilion level.
- Special mention goes to BioShock Infinite's secondary antagonist Daisy Fitzroy, who at one point soaks her hand in the blood of her callous white robber baron enemies and presses it on her face as a kind of warpaint.
- In Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, the last trace of Reza that Zoe finds is a bloody handprint on the backdoor of Victory Hotel — that is, until he shows up in person for The Stinger epilogue.
- A handprint is on the cover of Blood, an FPS featuring a truly bloodthirsty gunslinger.
- In its sequel The Chosen, Caleb has the same handprint engraved right on his cloak.
- A similar handprint is seen (and sometimes usable as a switch) in Duke Nukem 3D. Since they share an engine and since 3D Realms was developing Blood itself before selling the rights to Monolith, it could be a Shout-Out.
- Iji: As part of Escape from the Crazy Place; the heroine, wakes up in room overrun with violent aliens. In the background are bloody handprints, and the word 'Help' written in blood.
- In Star Wars: Republic Commando, Sev has one of these on his helmet. Instead of showing that he's either been wounded it's a paint job to intimidate others.
- Loading screens say that others think (hope) it is paint, Sev was never seen with red paint.
- These are recurring evidence in Ace Attorney.
- Saints Row 2: A bloody handprint is one of the possible emblems to put on a trucker cap.
- Kingdom of Loathing spoofs the Cast Away example with the "blood faced volleyball" familiar.
- Almost every Vault in Fallout 3 has at least one on an interior window.
- The EA logo in Dead Space is covered in 'em.
- Modern Warfare 2: The emblem of the Brazilian Militia in multiplayer is one of these. Also an available emblem to put on the side of your gun in Call of Duty: Black Ops.
- Penumbra: Black Plague has a very creepy room with a pattern of bloody hand prints all around the walls at about knee height. Like someone wasn't able to stand, but went around testing the wall for ways out. (This is near a kennel where there's a ton of bloody dog footprints all over.)
- Fatal Frame has a handful, though there's a particularly scary one in the third game that has to do more with where you find it.
- Red Faction: Guerrilla: The Marauders, a savage tribe of Martian scavengers use the Bloody Handprint as their symbol. It appears on flags and vehicles. It is emblematic of their feral and violent nature.
- Half-Life has these scattered around the complex, along with more run-of-the-mill pools of blood. It's usually a good way to tell whether you're going the right way or not.
- Used as an ominous logo by The Word of Blake faction on their BattleMechs, at least according to the end of the MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries sequel.
- A special effect used in Dark Academy stage in Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin have bloody hands appear and disappear on the wall as you walk through one of the hallways.
- Corpse Party: Blood Covered uses this for a quick Jump Scare in its Game Over sequence. Since this typically appears after one of your characters has suffered a nightmarishly Cruel and Unusual Death...
- Bloody hand and footprints are among the creepy manifestations in Paranormal. Disturbingly, the latter aren't necessarily confined to the floor.
- In Assassin's Creed: Initiates, one bloody handprint can be seen at the attacked Assassin safehouse in Osaka, Japan.
- In Hitman: Blood Money, the tutorial/opening level is set in a semiabandoned amusement park which was permanently closed after a freak industrial accident killed dozens. Outside of the gate is an old set of bloody footprints leading up to an abandoned car.
- While printed in black ink◊, it can be assumed that this trope serves as the symbol of the Dark Brotherhood in The Elder Scrolls series.
- Freddy from Five Nights at Freddy's has a handprint, seemingly that of a child, across his face. Given the known elements of the backstory, it's going to be blood.
- A recurring element in both Nanashi no Game and its sequel.
- The Bloody Girl in The Sexy Brutale marks Lafcadio's white mask like this. In this instance, it's meant as a protection against the titular mansion's specific "defense mechanisms".
- Goblins has this particularly cruel example.
- Parodied in Rhapsodies where Brian leaves a chocolate hand print when teaching himself how to be a confectionist.
- Used as a Gory Discretion Shot in YU+ME: dream - we are made to expect that a group are all dead, then someone goes to find out and all we see is the handprint.
- Think Geek has a shower curtain.
- Hellboy Animated: In Blood and Iron the team investigates an old mansion. The ghosts there normally go unseen, when Abe checks on a computer, they amass at the window, still unseen. When Abe turns back they're gone, but he does see the windows coated with Bloody Handprints.
- The coat-of-arms of Catalonia is four red pallets on a gold background. A legend says that it was created when the badly wounded Count Wilfred the Hairy of Barcelona passed his bloody fingers across the golden shield awarded to him by the Emperor of the Franks.
- The flag of Ulster is a bloody hand superimposed on the St George Cross (red on a white background). According to legend this is because in a dispute over who should rule it was to be decided by who could place their hand on the territory first. One set off running, the other cut his own hand off and told a runner to take it, thus winning the race. This may explain a lot about the Province's bloody history.
- This personalized license plate. Hilariously, the red handprints are part of the official plate design, although they obviously aren't meant to be bloody. Sadly, the Virginia DMV finally caught up with the guy and made him give the plates back.
- However, in a stunning lack of oversight, the banned license plate made it back through the Virginia DMV's censorship board with only a slight modification◊...