- The best confidence builder is experience.Rex: Looks like we got ourselves a batch of shinies, Commander.
Echo: "Shinies", sir?
Rex: That's right. Your armor. It's shiny and new ...
[Rex puts his hand on the chest area of Echo's armor]
Rex: ... just like you.
This episode provides examples of:
- Anachronic Order: This episode takes place between the two episodes of the Season 3 prèmiere, 'Clone Cadets' and 'ARC Troopers'.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: At the beginning of the episode, Hevy says he'd rather be fighting on the front lines. He ends up dying.
- Breakout Character: Hevy, Fives, and Echo. Cutup and Droidbait to a lesser extent.
- Beat Them at Their Own Game: The droids try to convince Rex and Cody to leave by disguising their faces with clone helmets. Near the end of the episode Rex fools them into opening the gate by using the torn off head of one of the droids.
- Bittersweet Ending: The invasion attempt is thwarted and the Separatist fleet retreats. Sadly, three members of Domino Squad are now dead, including Hevy. But hey, Echo and Fives are inducted into the 501st.
- Boom, Headshot: Rex takes out two of the commando droids this way — the disguised one, and the one that opens the door.
- Borrowed Catchphrase: See Pre-Mortem One-Liner.
- Commander Smooth and Captain Rough: Cody and Rex respectively.
- Dwindling Party: Domino Squad. In order of death: Droidbait is the first to be killed by the invading droids; Cutup is eaten alive by a Rishi eel; and Heavy is forced to pull a Heroic Sacrifice when the bomb's remote has a malfunction. Only Echo and Fives survive.
- Elite Mooks: The Commando Droids, first introduced in this episode.
- Face Palm: Cody, on Rex's plan to get the door opened by impersonating a commando droid:[facepalming] "This is never gonna work."
- Gatling Good: Hevy's favourite weapon is a Z-6 rotary cannon.
- Go for the Eye: Rex kills the Rishi eel this way.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Hevy detonates the bomb manually, when the remote has a malfunction.
- Hugh Mann:
- The commando droids are designed to be able to impersonate people. When Cody and Rex initially call up the Rishi Moon outpost to announce they're coming in, the head droid puts on a clone helmet and tries to impersonate a clone trooper. It is not convincing at all, and signs off with "Roger Roger", succeeding only in making Cody and Rex extremely suspicious.
- Later on, Rex inverts it by impersonating a commando droid to get the droids to open the door. The droids on guard duty don't take notice of his customized armour.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: Rex kills the Rishi eel by shooting it in the eye on the first try with only a second or two to aim.
- Lower-Deck Episode: Anakin and Obi-Wan only have cameos in this episode.
- New Meat: Provides the current page quote.
- Precision F-Strike: Contains two of them, in the form of the lines "What the hell was that?!" and "Like hell you did!"
- Pre-Mortem One-Liner: Rex, to the droid that opened the door: "Roger, Roger." [headshots it]
- Verbal Tic: The battle droids' Catch Phrase of "Roger roger" gives away the one that tries to impersonate a clone trooper over the communications to Cody and Rex.