The first step towards loyalty is trust.The Republic Army launches an offensive on the planet of Umbara, where the Separatists have the support of the Umbaran militia. General Skywalker is suddenly called back to Coruscant by Chancellor Palpatine. His battalion, the 501st, is led by Jedi Master Pong Krell in the interim; and this change of leadership brings friction to the 501st, not only due to the personality involved, but also the questionable tactics Krell brings with him.
Tropes in this episode include:
- Attack! Attack! Attack!: Krell's main strategy for taking the capital city, despite the fact that the clones have little to no information on the militia they will encounter.
- Bad Boss: Treat your subordinates like crap? Check. Refuse to listen to anyone else's opinions? Check. Blame someone else for a failed mission, despite the fact it was your idea in the first place? Double check. Threaten someone at swordpoint who just called you out for belittling your second in command? Check and mate.
- The Cameo:
- Barriss Offee can be seen flying her starfighter during the opening narration.
- Waxer is standing in the background during the briefing at the beginning.
- Casting a Shadow: Umbara, in addition to being a reference to the term umbra which is a part of a shadow, is perpetually foggy and what little light exists on the surface casts shadows on everything. In addition, their natives are described as the Shadow People.
- Chekhov's Gun: Take a note of the vixus, the tentacled monster Fives and Hardcase wind up tangling with.
- General Ripper: Krell in spades. While Anakin Skywalker is compassionate and treats his men with respect, Krell is the exact opposite.
- Jerkass: Take a wild guess.
- Off Model: When Krell first addresses Rex by his CT designation, his goatee is clearly missing.
- Yes-Man: Dogma agrees with anything the general suggests. It doesn't matter which one.
- You Are Number 6: The act that especially marks Krell as different from the other Jedi is when he addresses Rex by his number instead of his name. Rex is extremely startled by this.Krell: CT-7567, are you reading me?
Rex: (startled) . . . Sir?