A rose with any other fangs...
When a monster has a circular mouth with rings of teeth along the inside, that's known as a Lamprey Mouth
. This is not that
This is when a monster or character has a mouth that opens like a grotesque blooming flower, often with mandibles or other "petal"-like appendages opening up in different directions. Oftentimes, there may or may not be something resembling a Lamprey Mouth
on the inside, but that's not always the case. When used, it is more often than not meant to resemble Vagina Dentata
Not to be confused with having an actual flower for a mouth, nor about flowers with faces and mouths.
Compare Man-Eating Plant
, which tends to have a big mouth.
- Blade: Trinity: The "vampire dogs" have a bottom jaw that splits into two halves.
- Krampus: Der Klown the jack-in-the-box has a bottom jaw that splits into two.
- The Thing (1982): The Dog-Thing first reveals itself as an alien beast in the kennel with the other dogs by opening its head like a flower before attacking them.
- Tremors: The graboids and their subsequent forms have large beaks and side mandibles that make their open mouths resemble disgusting flowers.
- Deep Rising: The gigantic octopoid monster has tentacles that function like this, being closed until they detect prey and split open like a blooming flower to reveal an additional two-jawed inner mouth.
- Dune: The sandworms have a three-part jaw.
- Stranger Things: The Demogorgon and the Demodogs have mouths that split open into multiple petal-like mandibles.
- Five Nights at Freddy's: Sister Location: Invoked with the Funtime animatronics. They were all built with their faces separated into segments that can move separately from each other. These shifting face plates can also split open all at once, revealing the creepy robotic face beneath. While In-Universe, this was done so the robots could be opened up for maintenance, out of universe, it makes for a terrifying Nightmare Face.
- Spore: The carnivorous mouth part "Dietrap" opens up like a blooming flower with plenty of teeth abound.
- Subnautica: The Mesmer has a mouth that splits open four ways to reveal four tentacle-like appendages lined with teeth that lead to its actual throat.
- Halo: The Gravemind is reminiscent of a giant flower, and its mouth is reminiscent of a flower's petals as well.
- Resident Evil 5: The Majini, due to being infected by the Type 2 or Type 3 Las Plaga parasite, has the parasite coming out from the mouth which splits like a flower, in which they use it for biting the others or taunting. There's also the Duvalia, a type of mutated Majini with the entire upper body replaced by a hard-shelled parasite that shapes like a gigantic flowery mouth.
- Ben 10: Ben's Blitzwolfer form has a snout that opens in four different directions.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic: In "Three's a Crowd", the characters are attacked by a Tatzlwurm, a gigantic worm-like creature with a three-lobed mouth. When it attacks, its entire head opens like a flower to reveal three yellow, spike-shaped fangs down the middle of each jaw and a trio of writhing, prehensile wormlike tongues sprouting from the center.