In the horror genre, windows are not the safest thing. They're mostly thin breakable glass
, often big enough to let monsters and crazed madmen use it as an improvised entrance and make for a nice spot to grab unsuspecting victims to their doom. Barricading windows can be hard work if there are too many of them and more often than not whatever is trying to get through, will.
Compare Super Window Jump
, Destination Defenestration
and Window Pain
, in which windows are used for for improvised entrances, deliveries and exits, rather than monsters using them.
Anime and Manga
- The Rail Tracer from Baccano! kills several mooks by pulling them out the windows of the train.
- In Tintin The Seven Crystal Balls, two of the members of the Sanders-Hardiman expedition fall victim to crystal balls hurled through their windows. Professor Cantonneau is attacked this way just as Tintin tries to warn him not to go near the window. Dr. Midge is then placed under police guard, but The Guards Must Be Crazy and turn away from the window just long enough for another glass-shattering attack to happen.
- In the Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode where they throw a coming-home party for Buffy, they end up getting attacked by various monsters (of course), many of whom attack through the windows.
- After Xander acquires carpentry skills, he lampshades the frequency of this occurrence, saying he wonders why he even bothers fixing the frames.
- Resident Evil, and Capcom horror games in general have things breaking in from windows.
- This is the method used by the various enemies to enter in the Nazi Zombies mode of Call of Duty World at War. Barricading them (and their inevitable being broken down again shortly after) is an important game mechanic.
- In the Action 52 game City of Doom, touching windows kills you instantly.
- In one level of the horror-shooter Metro 2033, there is a incredibly tense sequence where you are walking through a ruined library on the surface and are ambushed and trapped within a small room by one of the strongest monsters in the game, the Librarian. When you try and break down a rotting door to get out, the thing attacks.
- In Ib, there are many rooms with windows, and one that will break to allow an enemy to keep chasing you.
- The most common death in Die 2 Nite has zombies break into your house through a poorly barricated window and eat you alive.
- An early Penny Arcade strip features the line "'Survival Horror' is a fancy way of saying 'Monsters will come through windows'."