The theme song ends, or The Teaser
starts, or we return from a commercial break, or we simply change scenes. What do we see but a close-up of a character's eye?
This is an Eye Open, a device sometimes used to show that a character is waking up. Of course, sometimes it's just used to show off an actor's good-looking eyes.
Not to be confused with Eye Awaken
, which is when a character's eyes suddenly open, but the shot doesn't open with an image of them.
Anime and Manga
- The movie Ĉon Flux opens with the title character's eye catching a fly.
- NeXT does this with Nicholas Cage's eye twice, once before and once after his character's long vision of a possible future.
- The opening to Blade Runner centers on the Blade Runner Dave Holden's eye viewing the neon skyline of 2019 Los Angeles.
- Used in the opening and closing of Avatar.
- One of the more disturbing in movie history has to be the closeup of Marion Crane's eye in Psycho after she flops over onto the bathroom floor.
- Apollo 13 does this with Marilyn Lovell after showing her nightmare of losing Jim in space.
- Star Trek: First Contact opens with a close-up on Picard's eye as things flash back to when he was the Borg's prisoner.
- Heathers has a close-up on Veronica's wide eye as she wakes from a nightmare.
- The movie Cat's Eye opens with (what else?) a close-up on one of General's eyes. Serves also as a visual Title Drop.
- LOST. Quite a lot, in fact.
- The finale ends with Jack closing his eyes in a reversal of the pilot's first scene.
- A first-season episode of the original The Twilight Zone does this.
- The pilot of V 2009 does a backwards one: instead of opening on Erica's eye and zooming out, we open on Erica and zoom in to her eye.
- The opening sequence of Merlin features a close-up of Merlin's eye as it changes from blue to gold.
- The Criminal Minds episode "The Big Wheel" starts with a shot of the killer's eye opening when he wakes up in the morning.
- Another backwards one in Smallville. During Lex's first appearance in season 3, we zoom in on his eye.
- Seen in the opening credits of The X-Files.
- The opening credits to Robin Hood had an image of a bright green eye; causing some confusion among viewers considering no one in the cast had green eyes. (According to Word of God, it was meant to be Robin's eye).
- In the episode Mystery Spot of Supernatural, many times when the loop resets, the camera is focused on Sam's eyes as Heat of the Moment plays in the background.