Open the Iris
Comic Books, this can be very hard if not impossible to show, since a typical human pupil, at its widest, is 3-4 millimeters.note This trope is a way to sidestep that difficulty. Instead of just changing the size of the pupil, you change the size of the iris (the colored ring surrounding the pupil) as well. Your iris is no more capable of growing than your bones are of stretching like Gumby, but since they are by far the largest feature of an eye other than the whites, it's easy for artists to "expand" them to get the desired emotional reaction across. The opposite, when the irises are drawn in a shrunken state to indicate fear, pain, or shock is Wide Eyes and Shrunken Irises. Compare Expressive Mask. Not to be confused with Iris Out. When the pupils are drawn abnormally large, the eyes generally appear pleading or wistful. That trope is Puppy-Dog Eyes. Opening the iris in Stargate SG-1 has nothing to do with this trope. See Dilating Door for doors like that.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- The animation style of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha usually shows an all-black pupil/iris with the anime-standard lens flare and a cresent of color near the bottom of the eye. When a character is shocked, scared, or incredibly pissed off, you can see the iris all the way around. Their eyes kind of shrink, too.
- Since just about every main character in Peacemaker Kurogane spends a lot of time indulging in Angst over past and/or current traumatic events this happens often. (The most notable characters who do this are Tetsunosuke and Suzu.)
- Done in many Reaction Shots in Serial Experiments Lain.
- Similarly used in Ghost Hound, by the same director.
- In a particularly extreme example, in Magikano, the iris opens, then the iris and pupil shrink, and the sclera fractures.
- This is used along with Hellish Pupils in Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - probably because any character with this effect is usually in the grip of some serious paranoia.
- Train from Black Cat does this a LOT. Though, even for anime standards, his irises were already not normal, looking a lot more like a cat's. Creed also does this sometimes.
- It happens occasionally to Sousuke from Full Metal Panic!, though not too often, considering how normally unphasable he is. He's shown doing this more often during TSR, and it's noticeable in the Sigma manga as well.
- People in Gundam SEED who enter SEED Mode have much larger irises, though their emotional range typically doesn't change much.
- In Naruto, this is what the 9-Tailed Fox looks like when it's being controlled by someone with the Sharingan.
- Baby Steps: This technique is used to reflect Eiichirou's shock when Kageyama suggests he knows the reason E-chan got into tennis.
Kageyama: "...you like Takasaki-san, don't you!?"Eiichirou (his irises shrinking to tiny dots): "EEEEEEEHHHHHH!?!?!"Kageyama: "What's with that reaction?"
- Chi's irises got HUGE when she saw a shopping bag filled with kitty toys. Of course, she went straight for the bag.
- Tweaked in 2004's Dawn of the Dead (2004). When the anonymous woman reanimated, we got a closeup shot of her eye turning from normal human green to that freaky occluded color.
- Happens a lot in horror movies, when a person who's a vampire/possessed/under a spell goes from looking normal human to looking like they're a vampire/possessed/under a spell.
- Dominic Deegan features irises getting huge and limpid when someone is feeling touched or romantic toward someone else.
- Truck Bearing Kibble in this strip
- Happens to Kate Beaton when she's traumatized by James Joyce's love letters.
- In Blip, Hester's irises are massive by default, larger than any other characters' (it's even lampshaded early on); a visual indication that she's the most emotional of the bunch.
- Homestuck: In the end-of-Act-5 flash, Rose comes to a sudden realization about the nature of The Tumor. Her eyes widen as the camera zooms in on them for dramatic effect, and then everything goes wrong.
- In Rusty and Co., even in minature, we can see how white Madeline's eyes get what she sees what Cube is doing.
- Bear Nuts makes heavy use of this.
- Common trope in Western Animation, especially happening to children when they are surprised by something (to the perspective of a kid) mortifying. Used at least once in nearly every Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network show.
- Common trope in The Fairly Oddparents.
- Avatar: The Last Airbender
- "The Desert"
Sokka: Driiiink cactus juice! It'll quench ya! Nothing's quenchier! It's the quenchiest!
- "Lake Laogai"
Jet: I am honored to accept his invitation.
- "The Desert"
- In Kim Possible: So The Drama, Kim's iris and pupil go bigger, then smaller when she is shocked by her android boyfriend who works for Drakken and Shego.
- The Spectacular Spider-Man plays with the trope. Curt Connors' iris narrows to a vertical slit, then opens back up to a normal human one. Well, sort of. None of the people in this Animated Series have pupils, just irises.
- In The Simpsons, this is one of Homer's reactions as he chows down on Krusty Burger's barbecue sandwiches, repeated along with the action itself and fat and suchlike flooding into his system.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic provides the page image. The animation uses eye tropes heavily to convey emotions, and Open the Iris is used to show, just for example, epiphany, wonder, greed, insanity, terror, emphasis of a key phrase, and the sensation of burping up a scroll.
- In Spongebob Squarepants, Gary gets this when Spongebob informs him it's time for a bath...though in his case, his pupils growing bigger means he's scared.
- Happens to Bruce in Finding Nemo as a result of him suddenly reverting back into "a mindless eating machine" after accidentally sniffing Dory's blood.
- In Littlest Pet Shop (2012) this happens to many of the characters at times, but for the most part everyone's eyes are already so huge that this trope is almost unnecessary.
- In the Dexter's Laboratory short "Chicken Scratch" Dee Dee sees Dexter with chicken pox and this happens to her.
- Justice League Unlimited S 2 E 4 Task Force X: Plastique’s iris narrows every time she has a Oh, Crap moment.