"Bad Romance" is a 2009 song by Lady Gaga
. It was part of her album The Fame Monster
and was released as a single in 2009.The video is around five minutes long, and you can see it here
. It's also got a (heavily spammed) view count of over 500 million and is jam-packed with elements of Mind Screw
taken Up to Eleven
. Which is hardly unexpected, considering who sang it.
The music video has won 7 Video Music Awards (Video of the Year, Best Pop Video, Best Female Video, Best Dance Music Video, Best Choreography, Best Direction and Best Editing).
Tropes used in "Bad Romance" include:
- Ascetic Aesthetic
- Bathe Her and Bring Her to Me: Implied.
- Between My Legs
- Black Bra and Panties
- Celebrity Endorsement:
- The video for "Bad Romance" features a man using a Wii remote to sell Lady Gaga as a prostitute.
- Also, her "Heartbeats" headphones which are part of Dr Dre's "Beats" collection, as well as the Beats Edition HP Envy 15 laptops, both featured prominently in the same video.
- The laptops were the scoreboard for the whore auction.
- Creepy Cleanliness
- Creepy Cool Crosses: One outfit in the video features a glass cross over her crotch; in the shot after the one that outfit appears in, she also stops dancing to do the sign of the cross.
- Double Entendre: "Want you in my rear window", anyone?
- Fanservice: Watch the video and count the fetishes as they come up. Latex, non-con, white slavery...and the robot-fetishist crowd were very happy with a lot of her movements.
- Force Feeding: Gaga gets force-fed a glass of some beverage.
- Gratuitous French
- Light Is Not Good: White walls and furnishings, bright lighting, lots of white and/or sparkly costumes, and the plot involves slavery and murder.
- Making a Spectacle of Yourself
- Male Gaze: The video takes a lot of common uses of Male Gaze in music videos and puts them in a nightmarish context.
- Woman on Fire
- Mad Love: The theme of the song.
- Mind Screw: Oh, God...
- Out with a Bang: Implied by the ending, though it could be a case of Out With A Striptease.
- Refuge in Audacity
- Right-Hand Cat
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Inverted, as she appears in some scenes without any elaborate outfits or makeup, and is still pleasing to the eye.
- Shout Out:
- Singer Namedrop:
"Gaga ooh la la"
- Single Tear: Cut aways during the music video show a surpisingly low-key (in terms of make-up, anyway) Gaga becoming increasingly more upset. The camera is close to her face, and a single tear slides down her cheek near the end of the video.
- Smoking Hot Sex: Well, Smoking Hot sex-turned-fiery death..
- Visual Pun: At the word "bitch" in the first "I'm a free bitch, baby", the camera cuts to the Right-Hand Cat.