Music / Telephone
At the end of Paparazzi, Lady Gaga is being arrested for killing and admitting to killing her boyfriend after he pushed her off a balcony.
The beginning of the video shows Lady Gaga in jail, and because it's a Lady Gaga video, no one really knows what is going on half the time
, nor do we have even the slightest idea what on earth the video has to do with the song
After the unnecessarily long intro, Lady Gaga answers the Telephone and proceeds to dance while in jail singing about not being able to answer the phone because she is too busy....doing absolutely nothing. Except for, y'know, singing and dancing in jail. While the man in charge of keeping the music playing is somewhere making a sandwich or something, Lady Gaga is let out of jail because someone put up bail money. And of course the officer is on a dating website because of course police officers don't have anything better to do than go on dating websites
The music man is still missing in action while Lady Gaga gets into a car with Beyonce of all people, who reprimands Gaga. And of course, Lady Gaga just makes a comparison between a mirror and trust (earning an odd look from Bee). At this point, the music man returns and Beyonce begins singing about someone repeatedly calling her and how she cannot answer. While the music man
prances off to go get his sandwich, Beyonce proceeds to poison a man's coffee. In the kitchen, Lady Gaga has followed the music man, and she proceeds to assemble several poisonous sandwiches which they use to poison everyone in the dinner before driving off and dancing in weird costumes, the words "To Be Continued...."So basically an ordinary Lady Gaga music video....
Has the examples of:
- Affectionate Parody: Tarantino, specifically Kill Bill
- Asshole Victim: The first guy they killed, but after that...
- Bolivian Army Ending: If it wasn't for the "To be continued," the ending of the "Telephone" music video would be this.
- Butch Lesbian: In the prison sequence, Gaga has an interrupted heavy makeout session with two.
- Continuity Nod: Being a sequel to "Paparazzi", it makes a few references to the other video. Three being the mugshot at the end, Beyonce poisoning Tyrese's drink wearing the same shades Gaga was wearing when poisoning Alexander Skarsgard and Gaga shaking her head several times like she did in the "Paparazzi" video.
- Cryptic Conversation:
- Dream Team: Lady Gaga and Beyoncé.
- Fingerless Gloves: Inverted; she wears the fingers instead.
- Genre Throwback: Of Girls Behind Bars exploitation films.
- Gratuitous German: In the scene where everyone's eating the poisoned food, right after Tyrese's death, you can see "Ein, Zwei, Drei" in the subs while Gaga
does some strange posing continues being Gaga, counting "One, Two, Three" in German. Unfortunately it's misspelled. "Ein" means "a/an", while "Eins" means "One".
- Gratuitous Japanese: (ワンピース)
- Gratuitous Swedish: During the newscast the lyrics are scrolling on the bottom ticker in Swedish
- Althoughy not completely gratuitous when you remember that the video's director, Jonas Akerlund, is Swedish.
- Leave No Survivors: Hey, I have an idea! Instead of just poisoning your asshole boyfriend, why don't we kill everybody else here too? It'll be fun!
- Lyrics/Video Mismatch
- Magical Security Cam: Averted. The "security camera" scenes were shot from a stationary position, and were in lower resolution and less fluid from the rest of the video.
- Making a Spectacle of Yourself: Two words. Cigarette. Sunglasses.
- Mundane Made Awesome: Let's Make a SANDWICH!
- Nice Hat: A folded out telephone of course
- One Dose Fits All: Played straight. Beyonce's boyfriend dies first from the poison then everyone else in the restaurant collapse at the same time.
- Precision F-Strike: "You know what they say: trust is like a mirror. You can fix it if it's broken." "But you can still see the crack in that motherfucker's reflection."
"I knew you'd take all my honey, you selfish motherfucker."
- Product Placement: Virgin Mobile, Diet Coke, Plenty of Fish, Honey Buns, Polaroid, Wonder Bread, Miracle Whip, Windows 7.
- Refuge in Audacity: The audacity of murrrrderrrr.
- Shameful Strip: Lady Gaga's taken to her cell, given one of these by her guards and dumped on a bed naked but for wide-net tights.
- Shout-Out: Thelma & Louise, Girls Behind Bars, Quentin Tarantino, Silent Hill, One Hill, Star Wars Expanded Universe, Command & Conquer, Dune.
- When Lady Gaga enters the jail, the women in the cells pose in a way that's almost identical to the Cell Block Tango from Chicago.
- The poison that Gaga serves to everyone, which the recipe contains:
- Gaga and Beyonce clasp hands at the end in a manner highly reminiscent of another pair of female murderers.
- In fact, the number of Shout-Out is so massive, MTV has compiled two pages of exposition detailing all, or maybe just most, the references present.
- Stylistic Suck: Has elements of this. "Let's make a sandwich!" Part of her whole love of Camp.
- Take That, Audience!: There have been rumours of her being a hermaphrodite, so of course two jailers strip her naked and walk away
Jailer 1: Told you she didn't have a dick.
- To Be Continued
- Up to 11: The whole video, dear Lord.
- Villain Protagonist: What other role could you bestow upon two people that massacre an entire restaurant?
- Wearing a Flag on Your Head: One of her many costumes.