Alexander Johan Hjalmar Skarsgård (born August 25, 1976) is a Swedish actor.Skarsgård is best known for portraying Nordic vampire Eric Northman on HBO's True Blood, based on the Southern Vampire Mysteries book series by Charlaine Harris, for the entirety of its run.He's also notable for his work in other HBO dramas based on novels: war drama Generation Kill, and domestic dramedy Big Little Lies, for which he received an Emmy award in the Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or Movie category.An actor in his native Sweden for many years, he's since crossed over into mainstream American films like Zoolander, the 2011 remake of Straw Dogs, Battleship, and The Legend of Tarzan as the title character.His father, Stellan Skarsgård, is a renowned Swedish actor, while his brothers Bill, Gustaf, and Valter are also actors.
- Zoolander (2001) as Meekus
- Zoolander 2 (2016) as Adam
- Generation Kill (2008) as Sgt. Brad "Iceman" Colbert
- True Blood (2008 — 2014) as Eric Northman
- The Moomins and the Comet Chase (2010) as Moomintroll (voice)
- Melancholia (2011) as Michael
- Straw Dogs (2011) as Charlie Venner
- Battleship (2012) as Commander Stone Hopper
- Disconnect (2012) as Derek Hull
- The East (2013) as Benji
- The Giver (2014) as Jonas' father
- The Legend of Tarzan (2016) as Tarzan / John Clayton
- Big Little Lies (2017) as Perry Wright note
Alexander Skarsgard provides examples of the following tropes:
- The Big Guy: He's 6'4''
- Family Business, His father, Stellan Skarsgård, three of his four grown brothers (Gustav, Valter, and Bill Skarsgård) and his sister all have more-or-less successful careers in acting or modeling. The fourth grown brother, Sam, is a doctor like their mother.
- Former Child Star: Subverted. He was a famous child actor in Sweden, but found life as a public figure increasingly awful as he entered his teens. He then took a break from movies and completed high school, went through a stint in the Swedish army and did a semester of college before rediscovering his passion for acting and going to acting school, and eventually began to pick up work again.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: He's very sweet-natured and friendly despite being best known for playing a deeply reprehensible character.
- Surprisingly Good English: He naturally speaks English with a Swedish accentnote but is able to mask it well enough to portray All-Americans like Brad Colbert without anyone realizing that he was well into his twenties before he moved to the United States.