Turn on, tune in, toad out.
"I'd like to remind all my readers, especially you impressionable young people, that if you must lick a toad, make sure it's wearing a condom. Thank you."
Licking the backs of toads to get high
Based on an urban legend dating as far back as The Seventies
, groups of hippies and teenagers were alleged to have been licking specific species of toads which secrete psychoactive compounds through their skin that can cause hallucinations.
While there are
toads that do secrete such chemicals, licking it off a toad itself is very dangerous (they are toxins to deter predators after all, coupled with an easy case of salmonella) and will cause some serious
poisoning for anyone considering a pursuit to get high in such a fashion in Real Life
(or in layman's terms, Don't Try This at Home
In fiction, the psychoactive toad is commonly used as a G-Rated Drug
See Also: Mushroom Samba
Compare: Alien Catnip
, Fantastic Drug
, I Can't Believe It's Not Heroin
- One X-Men spinoff series featured Toad Boy, a young mutant who secreted a powerful narcotic.
- The X-Files episode "Quagmire" had a bunch of slackers licking toads to get high.
Snorkel Guy: Dude, what is wrong with you? You made me drop my toad!
- A hallucinogenic toad turned out to be a major plot point in an episode of Jonathan Creek. The toad wasn't native to England and had been imported by a local hippie colony for this very purpose. The presence of the toad, allegedly in the prime suspect's house, was what led to Jonathan solving the case he was working on.
- An episode of Skins (the American version), features the kids trying to get high from licking a toad.
- When the gang from Mystery Science Theater 3000 riffed Jack Frost, there was a talking mushroom man; the characters wondered what a talking mushroom would eat to get high, and the only answer anyone can come up with was, "I think they lick toads."
- The solution to the Eleventh Hour episode "Cardiac" involves kids attempting to get high off frogs.
- One the escapees from Hell in Reaper was a stoner whose preferred method of getting high was licking toads. Fittingly, his demonic power was having a prehensile, Overly-Long Tongue.
- In L.A. Law, the client in one episode was a retired man whose nursing home wouldn't let him have alcohol on the premises, so he acquired a hallucinogenic toad.
- Discussed on The Daily Show:
Jon Stewart: Isn't it how if you lick a frog, you start to get crazy thoughts?
- The M83 track "Raconte-Moi Une Histoire"note is nothing more than an instrumental with a voice-over of a little girl telling of the wonders of touching a special little frog in the rainforest.
- In Sonic For Hire, Luigi licks Frogger and subsequently gets run over by a car.
- In 1977: The Comic, Bud Chambers makes the mistake of licking an exotic amphibian thinking he will get high. The creature is the fabulous Mystic Frog, a sentient, magical and touchy creature. Which curses Bud with an attack of transsexual confusion.
- One strip from Head Trip claims that James Cameron came up with the inspiration for Avatar after licking a toad.