Turn on, tune in, toad out.
"I'd like to remind all my readers, especially you impressionable young people, that if you must lick a toad, make sure it's wearing a condom. Thank you."
Licking the backs of toads to get high
Based on an urban legend dating as far back as The Seventies
, groups of hippies and teenagers were alleged to have been licking specific species of toads which secrete psychoactive compounds through their skin that can cause hallucinations.
While there are
toads that do secrete such chemicals, licking it off a toad itself is very dangerous (they are toxins to deter predators after all, coupled with an easy case of salmonella) and will cause some serious
poisoning for anyone considering a pursuit to get high in such a fashion in Real Life
(or in layman's terms, Don't Try This at Home
In fiction, the psychoactive toad is commonly used as a G-Rated Drug
See Also: Mushroom Samba
Compare: Alien Catnip
, Fantastic Drug
, I Can't Believe It's Not Heroin
- One X-Men spinoff series featured Toad Boy, a young mutant who secreted a powerful narcotic.
- The M83 track "Raconte-Moi Une Histoire"note is nothing more than an instrumental with a voice-over of a little girl telling of the wonders of touching a special little frog in the rainforest.
- In Sonic For Hire, Luigi licks Frogger and subsequently gets run over by a car.
- In 1977: The Comic, Bud Chambers makes the mistake of licking an exotic amphibian thinking he will get high. The creature is the fabulous Mystic Frog, a sentient, magical and touchy creature. Which curses Bud with an attack of transsexual confusion.
- One strip from Head Trip claims that James Cameron came up with the inspiration for Avatar after licking a toad.
- In a Biter Comics strip, a princess thinks she has finally found her frog prince, but it turns out to just be a bad trip.