Recap: Family Guy S 2 E 14 Lets Go To The Hop
Airdate: June 6, 2000When a plane crashes carrying hallucinogenic toads, a toad-licking epidemic spreads at James Woods High, and Peter (after he and Lois catch Meg with a wart, which she got from holding a hallucinogenic toad for the popular kids) decides to go undercover as a high schooler to catch any toad lickers — but ends up in too deep when he becomes friends with the popular kids and is asked out to the dance by Connie D'Amico, the school's most popular girl.
"Let's Go To The Hop" contains examples of (YMMV goes here):
- Abhorrent Admirer: Neil to Meg.
- Alpha Bitch: Connie D'Amico
- Bittersweet Ending
- Bowdlerize: Syndication censors "That's your butthole!" to merely "That's your butt!"
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: Meg
- Fun with Subtitles: At the start of the episode, when the plane crashes, two Mexicans parachute out of the plane and talk to each other in Spanish. But the subtitles are in Chinese.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Peter
- Medium Blending: Peter said he took drugs once, and things became too real: Cue a live-action Peter on a park bench freaking out.
- Never Found the Body: The police are too lazy to follow up on this, and take Lando to be dead.
- Off Model: During the "Give it Up" number, Peter is standing on a cafeteria table and his head gets smaller and smaller. This was also pointed out in the DVD commentary.
- Only Sane Man: Brian and Lois.
- Shout-Out: The famous commercial with the boy asking the owl how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop is parodied, with the boy asking how many toad licks it takes to land in state prison: "JUST ONE."
- As Lando Griffin, Peter tries to jump-start the jukebox, Fonz-style, but breaks the glass while trying and cuts his hand.
- The Tape Knew You Would Say That: Peter leaves a tape recording of his voice to fool Lois while he's at the dance. At first it works, but then it starts to drift off-topic. When Lois sees the tape player, the recording asks Lois to flip to Side B is she hasn't yet figured it out.
- Visual Pun: Peter walks in on a detention session featuring "The Breakfast Club." Not the 1980s actors from the movie, actual breakfast mascots (like Tony the Tiger, the Trix Rabbit, etc) in detention re-enacting the scene where Bender tells the others about how his dad gave him cigarettes for Christmas.Tony: You know what I got for Christmas? It was a banner freakin' year at the Tiger house. I got a carton of cigarettes. Old man grabbed me and said, "Ey, smoke up Tony, they're GRRRRREAT!" Bastard.
- Waxing Lyrical: The episode title comes from the chorus of "At the Hop" by Danny and the Juniors (1957).